Note to New Members ×

:(

T. Whit

Broke my tib fib 2 weeks ago in my high school race and have been in a splint since because of my stupid insurance company not getting me a referral and then the doctor not being able to get me in for so late. So I'm not in a cast yet. This thing ****ing sucks. It's hard to sleep. Having to hobble around on these ****ing crutches are annoying, not to mention my school campus is kinda big and my classes just happen to be so spread out. I can't stop myself from coming back to this site and it just reminds me of how my season is over and how much of a waste of 2 season passes it was. And I see snowboarding everywhere with my friends going up on the weekends and the X games and my team is doing pretty well at the races and I'm pissed I'm not gonna be a part of that to help us win the league banner. Well sorry for those of you that had to read this rant. I'm sure the last thing you want to see on here is a little 16 year old punk ranting and being all depressed-like on here. Not to mention I'm sure there's people out there who have it alot worse off than me. I'm not trying to come off as if the world is gonna end for me. But I haven't expressed my feelings on all of this to anyone else and hopefully this will help me get through it. Hope everyone else out there is having a great (and safe) season.

really sucks, i feel your pain.

and just a thought, but it might be possible for you to get some of your money back for the season passes. Only a gamble, but if you go to management and talk about how much you love their mountain, go there every year, blah blah, but since the accident you wont be able to get any use out of your passes, they may give you a partial refund or something. They like to keep customers happy so if they think its an issue that may prevent you from going there in the future, they might try to appease you.

Who knows, worth a try at least

Sorry to hear about the tib/fib break, I hope you heal soon and be back on the slopes for next year. It sure sucks to lose the money for the passes but at least you have your leg. I say this because there is a fellow hardbooter, Bullwings, who also broke his tib/fib. Bullwings(Albert) nearly lost his leg after his injury due to compartment syndrome. Have you heard of it?? If you haven't here is a quick update.

The swelling in Albert's leg became so severe that it was cutting off the blood circulation to his lower leg. No blood, no leg. The doctor went in and sliced Albert's lower leg open to relieve some of the pressure to restore blood flow and to promote healing. Albert's leg has healed nicely and fortunatley for him and us he is joining us back on the slopes this year after a long, long absence.

Don't mean to sound harsh but it could be worse for you.

Again, I hope you heal fast and are able to persue your racing career

I'm sorry to hear that. You could try to contact Michael Moore to make those companies cover for your injury.

Or...

Next time, come to New Zealand! We have universal accident insurance scheme (which might change since right-wing conservative party took power and they wish to privatise it) so if you break a leg while carving in New Zealand ski field we WILL cover for your surgery and hospital care. ;)

Excesses are relatively small (I paid NZ$40 each time I saw a doctor when I dislocated my shoulder twice) doctors usually don't refuse treatments (they've got no reason to refuse, after all). Getting cast? I have dislocated my ankle when I was 16 while playing basketball and the xray and cast was done on the same day, despite that fact that my family did NOT have health insurance at that time. Only had to pay around NZ$100, I remember.

The only problem is, our ski fields aren't good for carving... :(

Tell us a bit more about how you did it. Toeside, heelside, butt sketching wipeout, headfirst superman style?

The biggest thing in your favor is your age. I don't think that you could recover from this more quickly at any other point in your life, past or future. We all want things to happen quickly, but recovering properly and strongly will require a lot of patience on your part.

best of luck,

Dave R.

really sucks, i feel your pain.

and just a thought, but it might be possible for you to get some of your money back for the season passes. Only a gamble, but if you go to management and talk about how much you love their mountain, go there every year, blah blah, but since the accident you wont be able to get any use out of your passes, they may give you a partial refund or something. They like to keep customers happy so if they think its an issue that may prevent you from going there in the future, they might try to appease you.

Who knows, worth a try at least

Definitely worth a try. I met a woman today (friend of a friend) who said she broke her tailbone snowboarding a few years ago, sent a photo of the injury (black and blue rear end) to the mountain as proof, and they refunded her pass 100%. Bet that photo was up on the patrol bulletin board all winter long.

Photo (or x-rays) + a note from your doctor could do the trick.

And sorry to hear about your injury - that sucks.

Hi

My wife broke her tib fib in a pretty major way skiing in nz in september 2008. X-ray and cast within an hour. Full reconstruction with pins plates screws and wires four days later. total cost to us $40. She has made a good recovery and we will be going to whistler in canada in a month - so around six months total since the accident. She tells me that it wouldn´t have happened on her carving board so maybe she will spend more time carving now and less skiing!

Hi

My wife broke her tib fib in a pretty major way skiing in nz in september 2008. X-ray and cast within an hour. Full reconstruction with pins plates screws and wires four days later. total cost to us $40. She has made a good recovery and we will be going to whistler in canada in a month - so around six months total since the accident. She tells me that it wouldn´t have happened on her carving board so maybe she will spend more time carving now and less skiing!

Ah. Maybe she was one of the two female carvers (I suspect one was from Europe, though) I saw this season in North Island. Carvers are rare in NZ, female carvers even more.

Please ask her if she remembers a small carver who were clad in grey-black from head to toe, riding red alpine snowboard and doing eurocarving in Turoa this season. If she remembers, then please send her my best wishes. :)

I might need shoulder reconstruction.... :( Won't take long to get it approved (in a matter of weeks) but it sucks to leave work for a few weeks.

T.Whit. Sorry to hear about your injury.

Been there.

High Energy Tib-Fib Feb 13 08 at SES.

Great day / boom / bad day.

Surgery within a couple hours. 15" Titanium Nail/ 3 days in the hospital.

9 weeks non load bearing on oxy codine.

Add, sole provider. Old. Loss of work.

The good news? You are young and will heal much faster.

I presume you are at home. At least you are not concerned about loosing your home?

The bones don't start doing any serious "Bridging" for weeks.

Yes insurance sucks, but without it , I would owe about 60K$ instead of 5K$

Crutches are a bugger, get the "Arm" crutches for stairs and better mobility. Easier to pack too.

For more "how tos" contact me.

Backpacks are a must. Wear a really good hiking boot on the good leg. You will be putting allot more wear and tear on it and you can't afford to hurt it.

I.E. twisted ankle, etc.

Bryan

post-198-141842272432_thumb.jpg

Bullwings(Albert) nearly lost his leg after his injury due to compartment syndrome. Have you heard of it?? If you haven't here is a quick update.

The swelling in Albert's leg became so severe that it was cutting off the blood circulation to his lower leg. No blood, no leg. The doctor went in and sliced Albert's lower leg open to relieve some of the pressure to restore blood flow and to promote healing. Albert's leg has healed nicely and fortunatley for him and us he is joining us back on the slopes this year after a long, long absence.Don't mean to sound harsh but it could be worse for you.

Yes indeed!!

They had pumps on both feet , psht, psst, ever few seconds for several days, drugs to prevent the extreme swelling and still it was touch and go.

There are broken legs and then there are BROKEN LEGS. :barf:

It is hard to see it from where you are right now. Just know that this period in your life may hold a silver lining. Especially if you are open to it. Stay positive and do what YOU need to do to get through it!! Best of health!!

Thanks to all of you for the kind words. The way I broke it was kind of a freak break. I was on the second to last gate in a GS course so I was in my tuck going as fast as I could. Somehow I caught an edge or something dont really remember, but I was facing up the hill than my board just caught in the snow and I didn't slide. So my ankles/legs took all of the force going from 50mph (well I don't eally know how fast exactly, but I was going rreally fast) to 0 in a second. And the break happened inside my skiboot. Because it was in my skiboot the bones didn't really have a chance to move around too much so the doctor said I should be good without surgery and just a cast. But they have to xray it again soon to make sure I don't need it. I'll look into the season pass deal too. Thanks alot for the suggestions. And I can't bear to think of how bad it must've been for albert. Ouch. Good to hear he's up and running now though. Once again, thanks for all the helpful comments.

Sorry to hear about your injury, especially this early in the season. Check on the passes. My wife got WORKED at Sierra in 03, ACL, MCL, spiral fracture, shattered wrist, etc. They had NO problem crediting her pass for the following season. They do want you to be happy and come back.

Hope you heal quick.

Have had my share of injuries

5 broken wrist

6 broken ribs

1 collapsed lung

1 rip rotator

2 discolated shoulders

several high ankle sprains

oh yeah was shot in bosina 2x, leg and shoulder

current injury : 6 stiches from catching my ring on the top of the rack getting the board down. Ugly, but not bad.

I feel your pain, trust me. Life is NOT over! just delayed a little, we have snow till june,

Plan your day back, Hit vitmain cottage once you are casted, and get anything that will help. pomegranate juice " nasty stuff" 1 shot in the morning" Glucosamine Chondroitin and a protein shake of some kind.

Had the wify back up racing in 4 weeks after a broken ankle, and she still went to nastar finals.

take the time to research the best sports doc you can find, Not sure where EDH is but if in denver Denver vail orthpedic 2 offices. lonetree and denver. ask for motz. HE ROCKS and will tell you like it is.

If not in denver ,I will cover your ticket if you come out.:biggthump lots of luck

just Tag me when you are better. I want pics thou

you shouldn't have a problem getting a refund on the season pass. i was able to with mine.

as far as my injury. well, if they waited 2 weeks, i probably would have died, haha. my leg would have died first, then turned gangrenous, then i'd have died from the ensuing infection after. but, i'm here, and have my leg, so all is well.

as for the injury. the day i broke my leg, two other people came in with tib/fib fractures before me. they made both of those guys wait and rushed me into the O.R. first. i woke up with my leg chopped up with 5 tubes coming out of it. It was wrapped in see-through plastic, and i could literally see the muscles inside my leg (i thought it was cool since i was soo jacked up on morphine). that was the fasciotomy to save my leg after compartment syndrome.

now i have a titanium rod in the center of my tibia extending from my ankle to my knee and secured in place with 4 screws. a number of people here have the same exact piece of hardware.

it took about 7 to 7.5 months for me to re-learn how to walk without a limp.

the bright side of it all, i was still able to catch the tail end of the next season to go snowboarding. broke my leg in april (end of the season), and made it snowboarding around the end of february the next season.

a number of people here have had injuries much worse than yours and mine. i'm just glad i didn't break my femur. It's good to vent your frustrations, because it really does suck. just don't spend too much time feeling sorry for yourself (a little bit is ok :biggthump i know i sure did). try to stay positive as much as possible. stick to your therapy and make sure you do exercises outside of your sessions once you learn some.

good luck with the recovery. you'll be back. it just sucks now, but give it time and a positive attitude. you'll definitely have your down days and be extremely frustrated and depressed; that's natural, but you'll get through it. just try to have a higher ratio of positive to negative days.

t whit,

Sorry you got busted up. And I can understand your frustration, but you're only 16. Plenty of riding ahead of you. Take the time to get the injury fixed correctly and wait for it to heal, then re-hab good. Yeah you probably won't be back on the hill this year, but that means you have a whole spring and summer to get stronger and let the bones heal well. If you get back on the hill too soon, then you risk screwing it up even more, which might be career ending.

I swear we all need some sort of sticker that only injured people can get to put on their boards !:freak3::eek:

1 busted wrist,

2 torn ACJ

1 dislocated wrist

1 sprained thumb

Numerous abrasions and gouges of flesh, and slices to the limbs on me.

I pray every day to not become a statistic with a T/F break in HBs.

Cheers to a speedy recovery, and try to get back to the board soon !

I swear we all need some sort of sticker that only injured people can get to put on their boards !:freak3::eek:

1 busted wrist,

2 torn ACJ

1 dislocated wrist

1 sprained thumb

Numerous abrasions and gouges of flesh, and slices to the limbs on me.

I pray every day to not become a statistic with a T/F break in HBs.

Cheers to a speedy recovery, and try to get back to the board soon !

The thought has occurred to me to post a comment on "How To Not" break your leg, however, that is rather presumputious. I have however watched a very seasoned rider fall in a way that impressed me. He may have made a slight miss calc prior to the fall, he did an amazing job of not "Jambing" the board in the aftermat. Hint.

Ugh!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury! I know what it's like, I was at SES last year with a broken Fib. I originally fractured it Christmas 2007 and continued to ride on it, not knowing it was broken. Doctors put me in a walking boot for 6 weeks but as soon as the doctor told me I can resume activities, I broke it completely in the same spot 2 days after the boot came off.

I went to SES last year and was a complete mess. I think a lot of people can attest to how poopy I was. I cried a lot, needless to say. Anyhow, I hope you heal nicely. Hang in there kiddo!!!!:1luvu: