Note to New Members ×

:(

T. Whit

Sorry to hear about your pain. I've done it 2 times (screws and plates both times), the first with compartment syndrome as mentioned above. They had to slice me open too to relieve the pressure. Couple tips to heal faster/better:

1. Get a 2nd opinion about surgery. I too busted both bones in my left leg while in skiboots (caught a gait and the ski didn't release, my fault) which held everything together nicely (real fun getting that boot off!!). I had screws and a plate installed, and my doc said I could then put weight on it right away as long as I could stand it. Two years later I had the hardware removed to prevent high stress points at my boot line.

2. Get a removable cast so you can take it off whey you are sitting on the couch doing nothing. The sooner you can move that ankle the better. The first time around with the right leg I was put in a solid cast (age 21) for 8-10 weeks. Now I only have 70% motion in that ankle and really messed up tendons. Second time around on the left side (29) with the removable cast, my docotor was amazed that I retained 100% motion.

Good luck, and remember things will get better. Switch to Ibuprofen as soon as you can too. Those heavy drugs REALLY mess up your system.

Bob K.

man, so sorry too to read about your injury. this really sucks... wish you a very fast and good recovery dude! like any of us, me too know exactly how you feel; almost 9weeks ago, in a relatively fast and long rightside carve, full pressure from me to the board, full pressure from the board to the legs, without any crash or something like that, there was a light and short 'chatter' from previous carves laying in the snow. for a very short moment i felt a little lightning-like pain in my rear foot. thats it, i got a bone-tore (don't know if its translated right..)....

It'll all soon be ancient history.

These are from 18 years of snowboarding

left broken rib

left broken wrist

right broken fibula (with compartment syndrome)

right broken talus

another broken left rib

right broken greater trocanter

left dislocated shoulder

Non snowboarding

right radius and ulna

right fourth and fifth metatarsals

You might want one of these:

post-867-141842272563_thumb.jpg

...i hope to may throw away this f*** 'footthing' this friday at the doctors....hoping so much....

you're right, sometime this will be history.

BUT SNOW IS LYING NOW AND LOTS OF IT AND I WAITED, WORKED AND TRAINED THE WHOLE YEAR TO GO SNOWBOARDING NOW......

sorry for freakin out...:freak3:..sometimes it just pi*** me off having another injury after several surgeries, like you got too....

sorry to hear about your injury man, that really sucks. that's some major bs with your insurance company. usually the docs will just go ahead and do what they need to and you all deal with insurance later.

but hey, atleast you have insurance. I'm currently out of commission with a ruptured achilles tendon, did it about 7 weeks ago, and no insurance. let me just say MRI's are friggin expensive.

and since my job is a snowboard instructor, my new "injured" job is sitting at the top of the magic carpet all day. If one more person says "working hard?" i'm gonna kick em with m y cast.

dang, you all are waaay too accident prone. Either that or you have bones made of glass!(im speaking of course to those that couldn't count their injuries on a single hand) 14 years of snowboarding and not a single broken bone. Heck, no broken bones in my entire life!(knock on wood many times) Must be the power of youth!(21 now). reminds me of that movie "Unbreakable" where I'm Bruce Willis and you're all Samuel L. Jackson.

But, to not sound like a complete a$$ with my rubbing it in, hope you're back on your feet in no time!(and that goes to all of you who are currently injured)

P.S. - Thats not to say I've never gotten into any accidents either! I've gotten into two serious bike accidents this past fall alone! The first happened when my rear brake line snapped and caused me to flip over the handlebars when i was forced to use the front brake. That one resulted in a concussion and some nice road rash.

The second one involved challenging a car for the rights to a crosswalk... as you would expect, the car won, and I somehow I got away with just a severe AC shoulder separation. The doctor was amazed that my collar bone didn't break. On the other hand, I left a nice dent in the car's passenger-side door!

sorry to hear about your injury man, that really sucks. that's some major bs with your insurance company. usually the docs will just go ahead and do what they need to and you all deal with insurance later.

but hey, atleast you have insurance. I'm currently out of commission with a ruptured achilles tendon, did it about 7 weeks ago, and no insurance. let me just say MRI's are friggin expensive.

and since my job is a snowboard instructor, my new "injured" job is sitting at the top of the magic carpet all day. If one more person says "working hard?" i'm gonna kick em with m y cast.

I like the MAGIC CARPET!!

post-198-141842272587_thumb.jpg

I'm a knock on wood guy.(I guess I'll just knock on one of my boards) I'm 34, and haven't ever broken any bones. There's been times where I was sure that I did, but when I got up, gritted my teeth and shook my arm back and forth, it wasn't broken. I've even crashed my sportbike four times but walked away lucky every time.

Once again good luck and keep us updated,

later,

Dave R.

dang, you all are waaay too accident prone. Either that or you have bones made of glass!(im speaking of course to those that couldn't count their injuries on a single hand) 14 years of snowboarding and not a single broken bone. Heck, no broken bones in my entire life!(knock on wood many times) Must be the power of youth!(21 now). reminds me of that movie "Unbreakable" where I'm Bruce Willis and you're all Samuel L. Jackson.

Quite honestly, I think there's a direct correlation between how hard (and how well) you get after it, and the severity of boarding injuries. Like you, I haven't had any really major injuries from snowboarding -- nothing that's required an immediate trip to an MD, though there have definitely been some lingering aches and pains.

But I rode a chair with one of the racers when the Nor-Am Finals were at Crystal a few years ago, and he rattled off a huge injury list: knee surgeries, broken fingers (from snagging a stubby, I think), some kind of shoulder injury, etc. If you have the ability to fully decamber a snowboard (something I struggle with), and something goes a little bit haywire, all that energy has to go somewhere. On the flip side, my friend's wife can side slip Mt. Hood the rest of her life, and I'm fairly certain she'll never sustain any injuries.

YMMV, but that's the impression that I get.