Note to New Members ×

fun or liability

lowrider

There is risk regardless of who is supposed to use it. Kinda like pools. I'm not an attorney, so don't use that as legal advice.....

I had half and quarterpipes in my yard growing up (Haro trick team member) and a neighborhood kid got jacked on my ramp when I wasn't around....and wasn't supposed to use it.

It was so long ago that I don't remember the legal mumbo....but was decided it was the kids fault for tresspassing and doing something which was dangerous and needed prior thought.

My guess is an attorney would have people fill out a waiver, although many states those don't mean beans....

Good luck.

I think most of us would not hold you liable. We all accept there is risk inherent in our sport. However it only takes one twerp to ruin your life with a lawsuit, especially in the US.

Keep in mind, it may not be the choice of the person at your hill weather they will come after you or not. It may be their next of kin. Also, people's noble values tend to suddenly shift when they are lying in rehab, wondering how they are going to pay for an aid to turn them four times a night so they don't develop bed sores and die from the infections. Sucks to think about things in this way, but it does happen.

Lowrider, If you really want an answer to your question, consult a local attorney. Otherwise, don't sweat it and hope for the best. :biggthump

Like Kent said, Good Luck.

Since you are in Ontario, you know already that as a whole Canadians are not as sue happy as Americans (sorry for the generalization but it is true)... there are also limits to damages in lawsuits in Canada (not a lawyer, don't know details)... here's who i would ask... your insurance company... if this is your private property i would think it would be part of your homeowner's coverage... and maybe all that was needed was a signed waiver from 20 of your closest friends that you invite over to join you.... and then you are covered... I mean this is what your lift ticket is at a resort right (a liability waiver), you are simply signing it when you sign the credit card bill...

I agree that it just takes 1 person to sue to ruin you, so I would get the legal advice from the lawyer in your family and talk to the insurance company...but just so you know, Dave and I wouldn't sue you if you invited us over :biggthump