Note to New Members ×

My New Carving Toy

Justin A.

Guest Randy S.

Obviously it sucks at cutting the grass :D

I used to have license plates that said "Live Fee or DIE" on them. Now that I live in CA, it seems so punk-rock.

That was my post about the m-cycle. Since that post I've purchased a second bike just for the track. The first one wasn't enough of a carving toy so I got an R6.

Congrats on the new ride. They sell way fewer Saabs out here than they do in the northeast. I don't know why. Curiously, I sold a Saab convertible to buy the first bike.

What do you think of the new Saabaru (9-2x)?

Here's a link to my carving toys:

Tom's carving toys

I think my Deere cuts better than that viggen. :p

EDIT: What you don't see in the picture is my 944 track car. It's not much to look at; there is no engine or tranny, interior, or seats. :) Just some cobbled together body panels, waiting for the brain, heart, and muscle to be installed.

Nice choice it carving utensiles! I'm so jonesn' for a WRX! I had an old C'dale R400 that I miss! And I also have a Renntiger 158SL of the same year! And bombers...they rock!

The only good thing about the Saabaru is that it is available with a sunroof, leather seating & heated ass warmer! I'm hoping that the 05 Subaru WRX wagon will have the same options!

I've got an old '95 9000 and have managed to put 225k miles on it. My last one an '89 9000 I sold with 334k. It seems once you get to around 125-135k miles you have to dump about 2-3 grand into them but then you get to drive them longer. I'm on my 4th saab now and am looking to get the new 9-5 or the 9-3 convertible? Great cars...now if I could only afford to add the v-rod.

Originally posted by Jeffrey Day

Nice choice it carving utensiles! I'm so jonesn' for a WRX! I had an old C'dale R400 that I miss! And I also have a Renntiger 158SL of the same year! And bombers...they rock!

The only good thing about the Saabaru is that it is available with a sunroof, leather seating & heated ass warmer! I'm hoping that the 05 Subaru WRX wagon will have the same options!

Notice the Saabaru does not have integrated roof rack rails...ick.

If I had silly money, I'd do the following: buy a WRX wag and an STi sedan, swap bits as needed to give me an STi wag, then sell off the now-WRX-with-park-bench-wing sedan...

joe...

Originally posted by joecarve

If I had silly money, I'd do the following: buy a WRX wag and an STi sedan, swap bits as needed to give me an STi wag, then sell off the now-WRX-with-park-bench-wing sedan...

joe...

YEAH BABY! That's exactly what I wanted: STi WAGON! So, I got the next best thing. :) Of course, I need silly money to do exactly what you are doing. :)

Hey Fin! Did you replace that 'Fin-motor' in your Subaru with something with a bit more pep? :D

No, its not a viggen, they stopped making them in 02', though I would absolutley love one. No, this is the 9-3 Aero, which is the replacement for the viggen, so I thought I would throw a bit on nostalgia onto it with the plates.

Oh, and to the Saabaru people, I understand that saab pretty much ripped off the Subaru, but there are a few things that make them saabs, ignition placement, really cool interior lighting (its electroluminescent panels that diffuse this really cool looking blue light ever so slightly), and a few other things...Same engine, ect. Different seats though, I test drove both and found that the saab actually did handle better, though not by much. But it really wasnt saab that did it, blame GM, they have a stake in subaru, not sure how much but it was enough to get the WRX wagon design...

Before this one I had a 90' 9000 and it just completley died about a month and a half ago...miserable car. It ended its life still young at 167k.

-Justin

________

Easy vape

I am a Scooby snob, but I like the Saab WRX. It does have a much nicer interior than my car, and I think it comes with heated mirrors, which mine does not. (I WANT HEATED MIRRORS!) Mebby I'll buy some Saab mirrors and bolt them up! :)

Oh, I think your impression of the Saab handling better was placeabo (sp?). I'm pretty sure they share the exact same suspension and geometry(The Saab might be tuned a bit softer, actually). Unless they increased the size of the sway bars...that is what I did on my rex, and it is a lot more stable in the turns now.

I'll look it up ... Oooh, it does have softer dampers, but stiffer springs. Interesting. I think a test drive is in order!

EDIT: From this Car and Driver article ... I've been edumacated. :)

Mechanically, our test 9-2X Aero is nearly identical to a WRX. It features the same 227-hp, 2.0-liter turbocharged flat-four, five-speed manual, and all-wheel-drive system as the Subie, but it attacks the road with quicker steering and a retuned suspension. Saab stiffened the steering-gear mounting for better feedback and response, and on the Aero, pitched the WRX’s standard rack in favor of the rally-bred STi’s, which lowers the ratio from 16.5:1 to 15.0:1. The Subaru’s strut suspension was reworked with firmer springs, softer dampers, 10mm-shorter rear bump stops, and stiffer front control-arm bushings. In addition, 1.8mm of toe-in was dialed into the front wheels for better on-center feel and straight-line stability....Over Ann Arbor’s diverse landscape, the 9-2X exhibited a ride as firm as the Subie’s yet more compliant, better at absorbing the harsher impacts. Saab’s diligence paid off here, resulting in a ride more befitting of a “premium” car. The steering is superb, offering crisp turn-in, a firm on-center feel, and quick response that isn’t too quick. The overall feel is light yet amply communicative, rarely requiring adjustments to the wheel after taking a set.

I didn't realize the 9-2x was based on the Subaru. That's pretty cool. I'm suddenly interested.

Did Saab ever make an AWD coupe? I heard they did, but haven't been able to find anything about them.

The E30M3 is, in my estimation, the most beautiful car ever made. I have a 325iX (AWD version of the regular 3-series from the same era) and have long been daydreaming about putting the M3's fenders and quarter panels on it.

227hp from 2.0 liters is amazing. My car's 2.5 liters only put out 165 or something like that... under 170 for sure. How much boost does the WRX have? How high is the redline?

Originally posted by NateW

227hp from 2.0 liters is amazing. My car's 2.5 liters only put out 165 or something like that... under 170 for sure. How much boost does the WRX have? How high is the redline?

The WRX boosts just under 1 bar (~13MPa) and redline is @7k. The rev-limiter cuts in just over 7k. A lot of people complain about lack of low-end, but duh. It's a two litre turbocharged motor with tall gearing. Of course, lag isn't an issue if you drive it proper, ie: don't lug the car around below 2.5-3k.

It is most definitely fast, and carves the back roads beautifully.

I didn't realize the 9-2x was based on the Subaru. That's pretty cool. I'm suddenly interested.

Did Saab ever make an AWD coupe? I heard they did, but haven't been able to find anything about them.

The E30M3 is, in my estimation, the most beautiful car ever made. I have a 325iX (AWD version of the regular 3-series from the same era) and have long been daydreaming about putting the M3's fenders and quarter panels on it.

How about 271 from a 2.0 liter in the Mistu Evo (more coming in the MR) or 300 from a 2.5 liter in the Subie STi?

:D

Im getting 212 from my 2.0, but whats more impressive is the 221 ft/lbs of torque. The torque band is great, shoots up and dosent quit until about 6300 when the EMC kicks in to stop it from over revving.

Yes the Saab 9-2x comes stock with heated mirrors, and, no they didnt make a production AWD coupe. They made a AWD 9-3 Viggen for the pikes peak hill climb a few years back...That thing was impressive...it got something like 750 hp from its 2.0L.

And I agree with nate...the M3 is a fine looking car.

-Justin

________

Medical Marijuana Dispensary

That is quite impressive to crank out 227 hp out of the 2.0, how bout 300 hp out of the STI version. The only question I have is how long the motors will last, when youare cranking nearly 14 lbs of boost into the engine, it usually makes for shorter life engines. Then again, probalbly most of the Saabaru drivers won't have the cars long enough to hit the engine failure mark.

How many of you are subie drivers are using a post luber?? That will definitely add some engine life. I added one to my turbo Volvo, it keeps the oil circulating throught he turbo after the engine has been turned off.

Do the exhasust maniflods glow red on Subies like it does in my Volvo?? I thought I was cooking somethin but my Volvo mechanic says it is normal. YOu can't see the glow in the daylight but pop open the hood in the evening and you could cook some burgers on that manifold.

14psi is nothing for a proper turbo motor. Boost has no effect on engine life if the engine is properly prepared (and factory turbo motors always are). In fact, proper electronically controlled turbo motors should last longer than their NA counterparts, as they are usually under less stress and have such life-saving abilities as variable effective compression ratios.

My little hamster wheel glows during the day time. Of course, that's probably because it pushes 18psi and is the size of a bull testicle. Still gets the job done though - 215HP and 245ftlbs out of a miniscule 1.8L.

The E30M3 is, in my estimation, the most beautiful car ever made.

Hold on there chief. That's a big statement. Maybe it should be qualified as most beautiful sub-$100k car made? And in that category, I'd vote for the Porsche Boxter before the M3. But most beautiful ever? Come on! Then you've got to consider cars like the Ferrari 360 Modena, and a raft of other exotics.

227hp from 2.0 liters is amazing.

Not really. That's barely over the 100hp/liter benchmark which was broken decades ago. But in a relatively cheap consumer car, it is nice!

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Hold on there cheif. That's a big statement. Maybe it should be qualified as most beautiful sub-$100k car made? And in that category, I'd vote for the Porsche Boxter before the M3. But most beautiful ever? Come on! Then you've got to consider cars like the Ferrari 360 Modena, and a raft of other exotics

Don't forget such mundane cars as the Jaguar XKE and muscular Triumph TR6. What about the 3rd Gen RX7?

Among the more exotic cars, what about the purposeful 962? The absolutely incredible D-type? 355? 250GT California? 288GTO? Pretty much anything penned by Pinninfarina?

Originally posted by mirror70

Don't forget such mundane cars as the Jaguar XKE and muscular Triumph TR6. What about the 3rd Gen RX7?

Among the more exotic cars, what about the purposeful 962? The absolutely incredible D-type? 355? 250GT California? 288GTO? Pretty much anything penned by Pinninfarina?

I'm with ya on the 355 over the 360, but I've been partial to the 250SWB over the CA Spyder; 308GT4 over th other 308-bodied cars. Oh wait, forget all those - Miura SV...

C-types. Mmmm...

Love the 3rd gen RX7, but there's just something about a 1st-gen with a ported 13B.

Totally pedestrian, and admittedly a GTO-clone, but I get weak in the knees for a nice Datsun 240.

Butt ugly, but a slot car: ever driven an '88/'89 Mazda 323 GTX? You just gotta love anything with forced induction and a switch on the dash for locking the diffs.

joe...