Note to New Members ×

frustrated with deeluxe boots

mep7851

I wanted to ask some advice regarding fitting of my deeluxe hard boots. I've now gone through 3 mondo sizes and multiple thermoflex liner moldings with a result of a boot that is incredibly painful. I'm lucky to get off 3 runs before I have to stop with foot pain. The shell size is correct, but the liners just do not fit no matter how much I heat and mold them.

Was wondering if anyone has tried Surefoot injectable liners. I'm at mammoth now and thinking about stopping by to pick some up so I can board again. They're expensive, so just wanted to get some advice from anyone who has tried them in a SB hardboot.

thanks

Seems like a thread a week or so in the past mentioned those.

Hardbooter.com had quite a writeup about them.

http://hardbooter.net/serendipity/index.php?/archives/12-Surefoot-Review.html

Kind of expensive. But I hear the people who get them love them.

Did you do the heating and molding on your own?

If so, I would not give up until you have had at least one chance to have an actual bootfitter try to make it work for you. Most will charge a nominal fee just to heat up and fit liners. 30 minutes might save you hundreds of dollars.

I'll preface this post by saying that I went from a way old pair of Burton Shadow boots to Deeluxe Track 325s last year. I had never, in 20 years of snowboarding, owned a pair of remotely comfortable snowboard boots, either hardboots or softboots, until purchasing these. My Deeluxe boots came with the Non-moldable liners. I've got terribly shaped feet from years of stuffing them in hockey skates and having numerous broken foot bones with both super high arch and instep.

Although the boots seemed to fit great right out of the box with the stock non-moldable liners. I still purchased a pair of high-end moldable orthotic footbeds from my local bootfitter and the boots are now so comfortable I don't want to take them off.

Don't lose hope. If I can find the right combination for my feet there's no doubt you can too.

Cheers,

-T

I bought a pair of used Raichle 423s and the liners were pretty shot. The material between my feet and plastic base of the boot was pretty thin. I took a few runs and it felt like my feet were broken. My 1st solution was new foot beds! I bought them at Target for under $10. This worked a little. My next step was to see if the thermo liners in my lightly used Lange ski boots would fit. What do ya know, "like a glove" or "boot" Any way the combo of new foot beds and ski boot liners is working great for me. Plus the Lange liner adds a little more support. I'd say see if you can find any liner ski or alpine that fits your good and go buy some foot beds. Just like everything in our sport, its trail and error, and creativity is king.

I wanted to ask some advice regarding fitting of my deeluxe hard boots. I've now gone through 3 mondo sizes and multiple thermoflex liner moldings with a result of a boot that is incredibly painful. I'm lucky to get off 3 runs before I have to stop with foot pain. The shell size is correct, but the liners just do not fit no matter how much I heat and mold them.

Was wondering if anyone has tried Surefoot injectable liners. I'm at mammoth now and thinking about stopping by to pick some up so I can board again. They're expensive, so just wanted to get some advice from anyone who has tried them in a SB hardboot.

thanks

Describe how you molded them, from start to finish. Don't forget anything you do.

One time my son rocked back and forth on his liners that created a bump in the arch that was incredibly painfull.

Did you put the sock ends in? I normally put in 3 sock ends cut back to the ball of the foot and then put on my normal boot socks over it.

Liner's too big/small for the shell.

Did you clamp the boots too tight/loose.

All these things can make the liners very uncomfortable. When molded and sized correctly they should be like slippers.

Thanks for all the replies. I had a pro boot fitter (footloose at mammoth) heat mold the liner (with toe cups) and adjust all the buckles. They hurt like hell so I brought them back and had the fitter rub out some areas in the liner that were pushing on my foot. Still hurt like hell. So I went at them with a heat gun and the dull end of a broom stick to push out certain areas that where hurting. A little better, but not much. I think the problem is the heel cup area. The little L shaped parts on the inside of liner that are supposed to hold your heel in are pushing on my ankles. I've heated and pushed them down as much as I can and it hasn't helped. I think I just need a new liner altogether and start over. I have a pair of superfeet beds in. These seem to elevate my ankle right up against those L shaped areas.

Thanks for all the replies. I had a pro boot fitter (footloose at mammoth) heat mold the liner (with toe cups) and adjust all the buckles. They hurt like hell so I brought them back and had the fitter rub out some areas in the liner that were pushing on my foot. Still hurt like hell. So I went at them with a heat gun and the dull end of a broom stick to push out certain areas that where hurting. A little better, but not much. I think the problem is the heel cup area. The little L shaped parts on the inside of liner that are supposed to hold your heel in are pushing on my ankles. I've heated and pushed them down as much as I can and it hasn't helped. I think I just need a new liner altogether and start over. I have a pair of superfeet beds in. These seem to elevate my ankle right up against those L shaped areas.

The liners with the built-in wedges for the ankles don't work for everyone. Someone else was complaining about another moldable liner being too stiff, so one liner doesn't work for all people. I've had nothing but good luck with both the thermoflex and Intuition liners that are just all foam with no added gizmos.

I assume you have the HPD "speed" liner ... the black one? I had that liner at one point, and found that I had all kinds of problems with it. I would recommend trying out the Dalbello Gold ID liner. It also sounds like maybe your instep buckles were just a bit too loose when your liner was molded.

Otherwise: are you riding with intecs? Any possibility that the problem is your ankle is rubbing against the intec cable housing? I had this for a short while but remedied it by filling in the area around the cable and retrofitting it a tiny bit into the boot shell.

The little L shaped parts on the inside of liner that are supposed to hold your heel in are pushing on my ankles.

Maybe look at the INTUITION liners. These don't have the built in heel retention pads. You're not the first to have trouble with these hurting their ankle.

A couple words of caution though... the Intuition liners in smaller sizes (M25 and under) tend to be a bit short on cuff height and the Power Wrap (with the 3mm of AEPE foam) are considerably stiffer than the DeeLuxe HB Thermos.

My .02 is that the thermoflex w/heel retention pads build in, are pretty thick liners. Whenever I've molded them for people, I leave them in our oven about 5-7 minutes longer than the suggested 15 minutes. This makes them softer to begin with and the molding process works better, and will also make those heel pads a little softer so they mold better. If this still doesn't help, get yourself into a liner w/no heel pads (i.e. dalbello gold id, or intuition).

Maybe look at the INTUITION liners. These don't have the built in heel retention pads. You're not the first to have trouble with these hurting their ankle.

A couple words of caution though... the Intuition liners in smaller sizes (M25 and under) tend to be a bit short on cuff height and the Power Wrap (with the 3mm of AEPE foam) are considerably stiffer than the DeeLuxe HB Thermos.

Which liners in the Intuition line are recomended for Deeluxe boots (M24)?

Thanks

John

The Dalbello liners are manufactured by INTUITION.

For next season, DeeLuxe is looking at a new liner supplier. Intuition is one of the companies that they're looking at. We'll see how it goes.

Me so confused. Wasn't Intuition the original OEM for Thermoflex?

Whatever happened, the liners that came in my '09 Track 700s are not as good as my old gray Thermoflexes, which look a lot like Intuition "Alpine" liners. Deeluxe would be very wise to get back in with Intuition.

The new liners are much softer and seem to take up less volume in the boot. They also don't seem to take as much of a good mold. The old ones become an exact negative of every nook and cranny of the inside of the boot (and your foot), the new ones don't look any different after molding than before. Luckily I had at least one more mold left in my old liners, so I'm running those now. They've transformed the boot for the better.

Which liners in the Intuition line are recomended for Deeluxe boots (M24)?

In my opinion... none at that mondopoint size. The cuff height is too low.

If for some reason you dislike the current DeeLuxe liner, maybe look at using the Palau liners. Palau liners are also standard in the DeeLuxe FreeZone Pro ski boot.

In my opinion... none at that mondopoint size. The cuff height is too low.

If for some reason you dislike the current DeeLuxe liner, maybe look at using the Palau liners. I think BOLA carries these.

Palau liners are also standard in the DeeLuxe FreeZone Pro ski boot.

My Gold ID's peek out of the top of my HSP's by about an inch and a half at MP26 Granted, the HSP has a somewhat lower cuff design, but I'm sure it would probably work out ok in an mp24 deeluxe.

dumbest thing in the world, but we found it to be the pain of my wifes boots.

she got new liners because she had packed out the old ones.

liners check to see they are in the right boot aka left in left right in right.

foot beds were also wrong

Cant! and angles now the boot may not have adjustables but they can put a adjustment in the boot to make you sit differenty in the boot.

once this was corrected life was much better. scarper liners are a little colder but have a nice tight fit.

Prior to wearing them on the hill wear them for 6 hours 3x so the break in is less painful. Breakin is still painful but shouldn't be unbarable

the other things is maybe you still have a broken bone or 2.

not sure what size foot you got but i have some never worn head liners 27.5 mondo if you want to try them