Note to New Members ×

Quiver Security??

wjholm

Board goes where I go it's that simple even if not allowed.

Most of the time I will try to leave it in the car while I go eat.

I don't want to leave the board on the rack even locked for the reasons.. people throw their equipment and are not really carefull.. I like to keep my boards in great shape and people will be intrigued by the board + binding and will play with it and bang it.

Most of the time I ride for 3-4 hours straight and call it a day so it's not an issue.

When in Whistler I use a SKI-KEY lock since they are set up to accept them. They are great -- full secure and small but need a special rectangular tube rack made for just that lock. Whistler and other places use do that.

This site tells you which resorts have the special ski and snowboard racks.

http://www.skikey.com/

When at other places I use a strong thick steel cable thru the TDs and the rack. So far so good!

I spent 9 seasons of 100 plus days at whistler up to a few years back.

Board theft was rampant at the top out side lodge, even worse in the village if not locked. Things got so bad they installed video surveillance out side the roundhouse and rendevous.

The little square "ski keys" C5 described are awsome but not much good with out a rack designed for them. I have one but lost the keys.

Something that goes in my pocket even before basic tools is a perma-coiled combo cable lock with about 5-6 mm cable, a bit much for the average wire cutters/leatherman tool. Most thieves will take the path of least resistance and snag the unlocked board. If they really wanted it , a screwdriver four bolts , leave the binder and the board is gone. That is one nice thing about allen keys, not many people have them. I simply do not leave my board unattended with out a lock, period.

There is/was another thing I bought a few of on close out a few years back, made by kryptonite If I remember correct, basically a 8-10 mm precoiled cable combo lock, came with a collet screw that went thru a ball that you could screw into a spare insert hole, run cable thru the ball and that couldnt be unscrewed secondary to cable covering the collet screw , worked great just a bit bulky for pocket carry. Use those as bicycle wheel locks now.

Vehicle storage, up at whistler or at cypress if they can see it, odds are you will come back minus a window and a board or two. I lock my boards in truck canopy to each other to make a pain in the butt to move, cover with a blanket and then run a black curtain over the truck canopies back window , so you can not see in, not the best but it makes me feel better.

Having said all that my hat is off and good karma points to the unkown person who returned my helmet and goggles to lost and found at cypress when I drove away and left helmet and gogs in the parking lot. Note to self , how the hell do you lose a fluorescent orange helmet?

+1 on the retractable Dakine. If someone is cutting or otherwise reaming on it, hopefully someone will call them on it or I'll be back in time to deal with it appropriately. I usually use a stand that I can see out the window and take short breaks/lunches if at all. Stealers are lazy and though there are probably instances where one bothered to defeat a lock, I've never heard of it. They'll grab whatever won't make a scene.

though i probably wouldn't leave an exotic deck lying about unsecured for extended periods, i'm guessing the likelihood of a thief nabbing anything skinny with plates is probably pretty low to nonexistent. they'd have no idea what it is or what to do with it. i've never locked an alpine board (at lunch, etc), though i have used the dakine retractable w/ my soft gear.

I have to agree with xy9 - these thieves generally steal new, turn-overable stuff. I don't think our type of gear has the market that they are aware of or that has the same kind of market demand as the softboot equipment. Still, it's not a good idea to take any chances with this stuff - the police will tell you that it is rarely - if ever - recovered. We've tried setting up sting operations at our local mountain, but these guys always seem to be a step ahead of us.

JP

I had a nice Burton stolen from Seven Springs a couple of years ago. Forget the police, or the park people looking at the surveillance videos.

The MO usually works like this:

1. They will watch someone coming into the area where the board racks are, and choose the better boards.

2. They watch the person who has the board. If he turns his back and walks directly into the lodge, then one watches while the other takes the board. This is done quickly. If the owner hangs around, sits down for a bit where he can see the board, then they start looking for the next mark.

3. They take the quickest route to the parking lot, choosing a path that will take them around a corner out of sight quickly.

We would be foolish to think that these people can be eliminated, and our best bet lies in knowing how they think and will act. As an exercise, sit at your park and try to figure how YOU would steal a board, where you would stand, what you would watch for.

After my very first Freeride Oxygen board was stolen at Hemlock, I have used this one. I'ts been with me for over 10 years now and never lost a board ever since. Some ski resorts are too lazy to clean up their racks as there has been lots with abandoned ones due to owners most likely lost their keys. They should drill them open and discard them. I keep my key with my car key chain.

One thing to watch in using this, when it's really cold the lock gets frozen and won't let you insert your key to open it. I found a trick, kiss the lock and blow your warm breath with 3 short intervals to prevent your lips sticking on the frozen surface. It works all the time for me aka lock de-icer.

ruwi

post-2705-141842270875_thumb.jpg