Note to New Members ×

higher stance angle equal no heel side?

pow4ever

I ride catek os2 standard on madd 168 bx.

Regular stance.

Origional angle:

Front 45

Rear 45

New angle:

Front: 60

Read: 50

I been riding the old angle for a while. Figure I tried higher angle to see if it will help me carve better.

On the new angle:

I have no problem with the toe side; didn't feel too much difference.

Feel like I have no heel side. I can not transtion from toe to heel. Almost have to force myself to do a hop to get it to transtion.

Should I give it couple more days? or go back to the old angle?

From the posts I been reading:

1. Higher angle doesn't necessary mean better ?

2. Personal prefence and Riding angle should be the lowest where no boot overhang occur.

Thanks

--

David

my opinion (for whatever that's worth..) is that ankle extension/flexion gives more leverage at lower binding angles vs. high angles. What I'VE found is that at the higher angles, your knee's drive the boat, not so much your ankles. What may be happening is that you've got a couple of things going against you: Wide board means you have to drive w/ the knee's (ankles at lower angles) harder to overcome the inherent stability, and, you're used to having your ankles input directing traffic for you. At the higher angles, you'll need to focus on driving your knees in the direction you want to go because ankle input is directed more fore/aft now.

My 2 cents.

my opinion (for whatever that's worth..) is that ankle extension/flexion gives more leverage at lower binding angles vs. high angles. What I'VE found is that at the higher angles, your knee's drive the boat, not so much your ankles. What may be happening is that you've got a couple of things going against you: Wide board means you have to drive w/ the knee's (ankles at lower angles) harder to overcome the inherent stability, and, you're used to having your ankles input directing traffic for you. At the higher angles, you'll need to focus on driving your knees in the direction you want to go because ankle input is directed more fore/aft now.

My 2 cents.

I concur, try driving your knees toward your heelside prior to dropping into your heelside stance and you should feel a significant change. I run 55/50 on my wider boards (a 4WD and a Powstick) with no "leverage" problems what so ever. Even on higher angles and narrow boards (60/55 on my WCR) the knees lead my way on every turn. I'll admitt I have to remind myself of this on every first run as I work to get into the carve zone. This technigue also makes the whole process easier with less physical effort. If your edges are in good shape, you may want to prepare yourself ahead of time e.g. lots of room, as the heel side hook up may surprise you.

(Thanks to Sean at Snow Performance for this little SES clinic tip.)

David -

Last time I saw you at Okemo, it looked like you had the correct angles given the width of the board you were riding and the length of your foot. I think you are going to have problems with lower angles on that Madd.

Otherwise, higher angles (on an appropriately narrow board) will definitely not rob power from the heelside (in my experience it will help your heelside) - but your angles need to make sense given the width of your board.