Note to New Members ×

My first time need for helmet

BadBrad

I've been wearing a helmet for about 10 years now, and Tuesday was the first time that I've actually needed it. I actually bought a new Giro G10 helmet this year, and even though I was wearing it I sustained a level 2 (out of 3) concussion.

I was on a family vacation and carving down an intermediate run, and next thing I knew I was on the ground, very dazed, and unable to move for several seconds. I got up and knew where I was but couldn't remember where I was staying or where my wife was for a few minutes, but then it came back to me. I made my way to the lodge and rested for awhile and felt okay. There was an abrasion near my left temple from the velcro inside the helmet and a cut near my left eye from my goggles, and also a dent in the helmet in the left temple area.

I rode a few more runs since I felt okay and I felt fine the rest of the day other than a slight headache. The next morning, however, I felt like I had a migraine and I vomited, so I figured I'd better get checked out. I had a CT scan done and some X-rays of my neck, and everything looked fine. I still feel a bit headachy and tired, but getting better each day.

I still don't recall the accident itself, so I'm not sure what happened. I'm guessing that I caught an edge and was thrown down hard on my left side since my left shoulder is also very sore. The dent in the helmet was probably caused by a chunk of ice since I don't remember seeing any rocks when I got up from the accident.

So, just another data point on why it's a good idea to wear a helmet.

Educate yourself about the injury and ask those around you to watch for changes in your behavior. Know that you are now have a greater potential for a even more serious injury next time. Know the dangers. It may not be over for you. Dude, you are a smart guy that needs his intelligence!! It would be very hard to do what you do with no concentration or memory. Glad that you seem ok now. Take care.

Enjoy!! Be Careful!!

Bomber Thread on helmets

Mild TBI Info

Brad,

Take the time to look at the link Bryan provided, there are a number of things on there that you will be facing in the next 6 months to a year, that you will not even realize you are experiancing. I whacked my head a year ago,and just put some of the pieces together about how I was acting, especially the irritability and anger. Glad to hear you are okay, and be carefull, think about staying off of the board for a bit.

good luck on your recovery,

mario

Brad,

Take the time to look at the link Bryan provided, there are a number of things on there that you will be facing in the next 6 months to a year, that you will not even realize you are experiancing. I whacked my head a year ago,and just put some of the pieces together about how I was acting, especially the irritability and anger. Glad to hear you are okay, and be carefull, think about staying off of the board for a bit.

good luck on your recovery,

mario

Thanks Mario for that testimony, it is far to common that the symtoms are NOT connected to this injury. When it is understood, it can be better dealt with. Alpine snowboarders may have a higher than average chance to experience this. By explaining to those closest to you, it improves the chances of moving forward without negative changes in your life. I.E. Loosing your job, friends, marriage, relationships. It can make all the difference.

It's scary that you can still get a concussion through your helmet. Just be thankful you were wearing one. Look after yourself.

Yes indeed. The helmet helps, it keeps you looking good. The damage is more from the shock of your brain banging off the inside of you skull.

Similar to the "Punch Drunk" effect of fighters. One of the reasons your helmet needs to be snug.

Short story:

Neighbor and his wife decide to try rollerblading (10+ years ago). They know I was into a number of sports and ask if I have knee pads. I provide them both with helmets, knee, elbow and wrist pads. They, especially HER, did not want the helmets. I begged them to use them and adjusted them for them.

Couple hours later, their car pulls up and he is helping her out of the car.

The skates slipped out from under her (forward) and she fell backwards and snapped her head back onto the pavement like a bullwhip.

She had a serious concusion, in time she returned to normal.

One day they brought the helmet back. The entire back of the helmet was caved in (exactly what it is meant to do) The Physician said "Without this helmet on you would likely have been a Donor body or spending the next few years learning to talk and walk again" She was thankful.

I think that Mother Nature installed that memory loss on bad falls that cause concussions. I've had a few bad ones and I couldn't recall how the falls actually went down. Maybe that's for the better.

Helmets are a neccesity for me. Besides, they are more waterproof than hats and produce less of a "hat head" look.

Was on an icy cat-track, slightly downhill facing maybe 15 degree pitch, around 3 mph. Turned to see where my wife was and then I was looking straight up at the sky. Giro 9 dented-head not. Brain no more scambled than usual.

Wear a helmet, please.

A concussion, even slight, will affect your coordination for a week or more, so stay away from those activities that require it.

One day they brought the helmet back. The entire back of the helmet was caved in (exactly what it is meant to do) The Physician said "Without this helmet on you would likely have been a Donor body or spending the next few years learning to talk and walk again" She was thankful.

My bicycle helmet looked the same way after I went over the bars at 30 mph after just a moment's inattention. Caved in the whole back and broke it in half. I only suffered some road rash and a wounded ego.

Thanks, guys, for the additional info about TBI. It's been one week since I whacked my head and I'm feeling some minor effects, but doing fine for the most part. I seem to get tired much earlier in the evening than usual, and I get some minor headaches now and then, especially if I exert myself like lifting something heavy. I've been taking it easy, not exercising like I usually do, and I'll probably continue to take it easy for another week or two.

The doctor said I had "dain bramage", but I don't know what that means. :)

The week after my first bad concussion, I kept falling asleep at the computer. I called one guy for an interview (I was a newspaper reporter at the time) and he informed me that i had already called and interviewed him the day before. I was like, "Really? What did I ask?"

It would have been ok if I'd only been dazed and confused, but I had this monster headache any time i wasn't asleep. My cognitive skills have never been the same ... or so I claim, it could just be old age!

I'd rather break a bone than get another concussion like that!

Mine saved me at big mnt. went straight down through about 15 inches of powder and when I thought to turn, my board had a different idea. the nose stuck and through me on my head. when I sat up I found that I landed on a boulder. it cracked the helmet but my head was fine.( Shred said because it's full of rocks) if not for the helmet........who knows. never ride without it now, even on the tiny Ohio hills!

I caught a motorcycle with my head (racing, at the track, ambulance waiting, free helicopter ride included) and can attest to many of the things outlined in the TBI site. I can't really smell or taste and have a tough time thinking of the right words sometimes and the accident was seventeen years ago. I put a lot of value in safety equipment and I'll be the first to say that there is only so much preparation you can do, after that it's out of your hands.

But I do value good equipment and BadBrad you should toss your helmet, it's done it's job. Think of a new helmet as a small price to pay for everyday life.

But I do value good equipment and BadBrad you should toss your helmet, it's done it's job. Think of a new helmet as a small price to pay for everyday life.

I was wondering whether I needed to buy a new helmet or not. The liner is not crushed or broken at all -- there is just a small dent in the outer plastic shell, which may just be a manufacturing imperfection. I wouldn't have noticed the dent if I wasn't actually inspecting the helmet after the accident, so I can't say for certain that the dent wasn't already there, but I'm guessing it was from the crash. I just bought it this season, and I hate to spend another $130 for a new one if it isn't really necessary. I'm not usually cheap when it comes to safety equipment -- another hobby of mine was sports car road racing, and I always had the best cage builder in the area weld up a good roll cage and I bought a good racing seat, harnesses, fire system, racing suit, helmet, gloves, and shoes. But I am on a tight budget now and this Giro G10 looks perfectly serviceable.

My old helmet is a Briko racing style helmet, which I bought about 8 to 10 years ago. It is one of those that fits very close to the head and has a very thin shell & liner. It seemed to me that it wouldn't offer much actual protection in a crash, which is the main reason I bought the Giro G10 this year. Another reason was that I had to wear goggles with the Briko since the temple pieces for sunglasses won't fit between the helmet and my head, and sometimes I prefer to just wear sunglasses. Also, I like to replace any helmet after about 10 years. In auto racing it is required that a helmet has a Snell sticker within the last 10 years, and I figure I should replace my bicycle and snowboarding helmets within 10 years as well.

You may not be able to see the damage to the foam from the inside, the shell may have flexed inward compressing the foam. The only way you would be able to see it would be to separate the two pieces (which would destroy the helmet anyway) or to have it x-rayed. Same with bicycle helmets.

I have the motorcycle helmet I was wearing when I had a major oops and the shell looks damaged but is still in one piece, but when I removed the foam from inside (who needs to see foam with caked on blood, but that's another story) it had been comprimised.

It's hard to get rid of something that looks ok at first glance. Ten years is probably a little much for a helmet, the helmet companys like Shoei and Arai say two years, but then they are selling helmets. I think that is a little soon but I wouldn't use one past five and expect it to do it's job.

You may not be able to see the damage to the foam from the inside, the shell may have flexed inward compressing the foam. The only way you would be able to see it would be to separate the two pieces (which would destroy the helmet anyway) or to have it x-rayed. Same with bicycle helmets.

That's a good point. I was also wondering what the odds are of hitting the same place on the helmet again. I hit the left temple area. Whenever I crash it seems to be on my left side, so it's not that unlikely that I could hit that left temple area again. I guess I should invest in a new helmet.

OK

I don't have a helmet yet. Don't get me wrong I fully understand the need, especially on pavement.

I was riding the lift with a friend yesterday & was light heartedly scolded for not using one.

Besides the cost my biggest issue is periferial vision. Helmet compatible goggles = lack of periferial vision. I've spent a lot of time trying to find goggles that allow me to see out the side and the only ones I've ever found are Smith Sun Valley style, no longer produced. The reason they are no longer made is they are not helmet compatable, becase they wrap around the side of the temple.

On the lift w/my friend Chris he didn't believe me, so he tried them on with the helmet, no go. He could not believe the difference between his goggle & mine for visibility.

Please don't preach to me about the need for head protection, tell me who makes a helmet that lets me see oncoming straitliner traffic out of the farcorner of my eye on a low heelside carve. A helmet like this would allow sunglasses also.

I will not give up my stepin convenience or my periferial vision.

OK

I don't have a helmet yet. Don't get me wrong I fully understand the need, especially on pavement.

I was riding the lift with a friend yesterday & was light heartedly scolded for not using one.

Besides the cost my biggest issue is periferial vision. Helmet compatible goggles = lack of periferial vision. I've spent a lot of time trying to find goggles that allow me to see out the side and the only ones I've ever found are Smith Sun Valley style, no longer produced. The reason they are no longer made is they are not helmet compatable, becase they wrap around the side of the temple.

On the lift w/my friend Chris he didn't believe me, so he tried them on with the helmet, no go. He could not believe the difference between his goggle & mine for visibility.

Please don't preach to me about the need for head protection, tell me who makes a helmet that lets me see oncoming straitliner traffic out of the farcorner of my eye on a low heelside carve. A helmet like this would allow sunglasses also.

I will not give up my stepin convenience or my periferial vision.

Don't let anyone tell you that you don't have a right to go without a helmet. It's totally up to your comfort level.

Any chance you're on the organ donor's list?