Note to New Members ×

Ski Board?... I kind of like it

trikerdad

As for the general subject of this thread, I don't get this whole "I'm so misunderstood" mentality.

I agree 100%

While some people just don't know, they still get the idea.

Such as when I walked into the rental shop to plead for a screw, someone said "Whoa, a snowboarder with ski boots" which is pretty accurate.

It goes both ways for some of us. I go to THE jib mountain in the country. I could tell you what a 180 was, but I'm pretty much lost after that.

While carving is certainly alot of fun, it gets old real quick and is very one dimensional if thats all you do. Elitism? I'm not sure what you mean, but being a proficient superpipe rider is alot more difficult and technically demanding than being a proficient carver. I'm not saying either is better, this is preference of course...

I for one know alot more freestylers that are 3 dimensional and can rip-up the entire mountain, including carving.. i don't know many "carvers" that can drop into the superpipe and hold their own. Just because some riders prefer to freestyle, don't generalize and assume that they are sketch-monsters. Many of them can beat you at your own elite carving game, they just choose not to.

Bull****. Coming from one who designs halfpipes and terrain parks I wouldn't expect less.

I have only seen two or three freestyle carvers who could even come close to hbs for carving. And they didn't ride the pipe or park either.

Maybe they all hang out on the ice coast

Is this Orinoco guy for real?

Carving gets old? When?

I hope it's not an ice coast thing....A superpipe is merely a way to flush more park monkeys at once..99% of snowboarders are a just a pain in the ass.

BTW, Trikerdad, when gapers on the lift ask me what the heck I'm riding I just give them the old Belichekian "It is what it is."

While carving is certainly alot of fun, it gets old real quick and is very one dimensional if thats all you do. Elitism? I'm not sure what you mean, but being a proficient superpipe rider is alot more difficult and technically demanding than being a proficient carver. I'm not saying either is better, this is preference of course...

I for one know alot more freestylers that are 3 dimensional and can rip-up the entire mountain, including carving.. i don't know many "carvers" that can drop into the superpipe and hold their own. Just because some riders prefer to freestyle, don't generalize and assume that they are sketch-monsters. Many of them can beat you at your own elite carving game, they just choose not to.

My comment about carving (bordering on) elitism, when read in context, simply infers that the feeling I get from carving a snowboard around the mountain makes me think that carving (a snowboard) is simply the best way to get down the hill. After having experienced this sensation, I'm at a loss as to why other snowboarders would purposefully skid their turns. But, like you stated, it's preference.....

Further, I am aware that there is a 'snob' component to what I'm suggesting. But, it's no more than the snobbery I get from skiers, tele-skiers, and park rats. We all poke at each other in jest and good fun but, we each understand that the way we ride or ski is the best way in our own minds and there is a respect we each have for everyone's skills and style.

As for someone beating me at my own carving game, heee-heee, that wouldn't take much. I am learning how to carve in softies and I'm getting my butt kicked everyday. If you could help me there I'd be in your debt. I don't want to be one-dimensional and be bored all of the time like the rest of the BOL members.

Mark

Carving definately gets old, especially redundant runs on groomed trails attempting to place one's body on the snow for no apparent reason other then 'flair'. Eurocarving, extremecarving, buttchecking, fluffing, or whatever the art of dragging your hands on the snow is called, is strikingly similar to ballet skiing. You do want to express yourself, right?

maybe you're doin' it wrong :rolleyes:

I wish my creaky old bones could still tolerate the abuse of hucking myself and crashing all day. Carving is the best it gets for old busted up fat guys on the slopes. ;)

post-123-141842268003_thumb.jpg

Mark: Your info on Sims and Burton is right on. If you want more you have to get Frank Morales , Terry English and Chuck Barfoot too. I was there in Santa Barbara when it all started. I surfed with these guys all the time. I was a hard core skier at the time. Did not go to snowboard till 92 and Alpine in 98? Terry was always after me to board. It's an Alpine Snowboard if they are interested! Hey, watch the part of Ride The Edge where the rider goes around the two skiers throwing the rooster tail! That says it all!

I was riding the hyarc this eve. stopped to catch my breath, leaning on my poles, a 5-6 yr old kid stopped & sat down above me. After looking over my gear for a couple minutes he says "is that a skiboard?" I wanted to yes, thinking of this thread, but explained it was an articulated snowboard, this only confused him, I should have just said yes:smashfrea