Note to New Members ×

avalanche death @ teton village

caspercarver

Kinda the opposite problem here. Early season snow is pretty spotty (only 75 cms. at Whistler, local mountains much more). A 17 year old guy decides it's a good idea to do a high speed run through a rock garden with no helmet. (ratfink on Whistler) The run is closed because of lack of snow. He woke up dead. Sad story.

later,

Dave R.

Yikes. I'm going to the 'Boat in February. Hopefully it doesn't snow in the week leading up to my trip..

Baldy (Socal) is avalanche prone as well.. :eek:

There is darn close to zero avalanche risk at Steamboat. Why wish for no snow?

someone I know hiked chair four and did the lot runs right after that 3 ft storm. I told her she was an idiot.

dave, what's that lil lift serviced ski area on the way to winter park ? I think it's the highest lift serviced peak in Colorado. There's some OOB called Devils Backyard or Satan's something. We rode some backcountry across the street years ago. My memory is failing :smashfrea

dave, what's that lil lift serviced ski area on the way to winter park ? I think it's the highest lift serviced peak in Colorado. There's some OOB called Devils Backyard or Satan's something. We rode some backcountry across the street years ago. My memory is failing :smashfrea

Berthoud Pass. It's closed now but people still hike like crazy

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/lost/bpass.html

Heard it's a pretty darn dangerous place.

Berthoud definitely has dangerous areas, but also has many safe areas that get alot of traffic.

WW are you thinking of 'Hell's half acre' ? This is from the top parking lot dropping down to the second switchback on the north east side of the pass

When the lifts ran, damn it rocked! It is a shame that expert skiers and boarders don't have money to spend to keep an area like this operating. Many times snorkels were mandatory

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kRReSCiLbM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kRReSCiLbM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

We have had a thin snowpack with very cold temps up until a few weeks ago.

Must of gotten close to a 100 plus cm on top of fauceted snow with rising temps....lets just say its like walking on eggshells out there right now.

I think everybody should have the basic understanding on whats going on in the snowpack to be responsible for yourself.At the very least you will know you can't predict it 100 percent, mother nature has a way of throwing curve balls.

I was with the avy director at Big White when we had are inbound avy fatality last year and know that this is not just a job to them and how much ski patrollers work to try to keep it a safe enviroment.

We have also lost a skier at the Bird and at Loveland (?) in CO, already this year.

Lots of snow on weak base.

Be careful. Buddy up.

No deaths at lovey. They where ready to open the ridge a few weeks ago and patrol bowl slid to the ground. Lots of slides up there, I dont think that even ski patrol has been up yet, I haven't heard any bombing while I have been there, nor is there any bomb craters. The pass was closed on sat. by a slide about half way up. Back country is real dicey right now, 2 snowmobilers died last weekend in grand county while they where high marking. Dangerous times.

mario

ps Willy, Berthoud closed a few years ago, looks like for good this time.

No deaths at lovey. They where ready to open the ridge a few weeks ago and patrol bowl slid to the ground. Lots of slides up there, I dont think that even ski patrol has been up yet, I haven't heard any bombing while I have been there, nor is there any bomb craters. The pass was closed on sat. by a slide about half way up. Back country is real dicey right now, 2 snowmobilers died last weekend in grand county while they where high marking. Dangerous times.

mario

ps Willy, Berthoud closed a few years ago, looks like for good this time.

Not sure where it was, and I think you would know better than the Idaho guy. The guy was an ex patroller skiing alone at a CO resort in the last week or 10 days.

Berthoud definitely has dangerous areas, but also has many safe areas that get alot of traffic.

WW are you thinking of 'Hell's half acre' ? This is from the top parking lot dropping down to the second switchback on the north east side of the pass

When the lifts ran, damn it rocked! It is a shame that expert skiers and boarders don't have money to spend to keep an area like this operating. Many times snorkels were mandatory

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kRReSCiLbM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kRReSCiLbM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BB, thanks, that was great. That IS the place.

We hiked across the street and my buddy from Boulder showed me some crazy BC stuff. Never forget first run down, he was on skis and I got out front and luckily heard him (no tunes on, luckily) screaming to stop before I went straight off a cliff that looked like that video, big drop and rocks underneath. It really freaked me out cuz I would've just kept going and he said people had made that mistake before and not lived to tell about it.

We had a friends giant Suburban and had his girlfriend meet us at the bottom and just drive us back up to hike out again.

We picked up some hitchhikers doing the same hike and 2 guys actually knew my cousins from concord, ma ( high school).small world ,it is. They pointed out the "Hell's half Acre" stuff across the street that was accessable from Berthoud ski area.

We actually poached a few runs there and I remember taking a piss in the bathroom at the highest toilet in America, or something like that.

Anyway, point is: it was such an epic day I wanted to go back for more a few days later but Johnny said, bad idea since the snowpack had turned to avalanche prone stuff.

Sure enough, 2 days later 2 college kids got caught in a slide there and died.

We were sitting there watching it on the news and he's like 'Dude, that could've been us.'

Damn !:eek:

Hiking up above Loveland and the Eisenhower tunnel,at the continental divide was another batch of some epic back country hiking for freshies.

Man, I miss Colorado !