Note to New Members ×

Snow Summit January 4th 2009 meet the ASSESS

carvingchef

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was a pleasure riding with all of you today and meeting new carvers, i don't think they ever had this many carvers at snow summit on the same day, if anybody wants picture just send me an email through BOL with your full name and address and i will send you a disc with all the files, it's easier then pick and choose and send them by email, it was fun, let's do it again soon

post-6353-141842268571_thumb.jpg

post-6353-141842268574_thumb.jpg

post-6353-141842268576_thumb.jpg

you always look where you want to go unless somebody is taking pictures, then you look at the camera

My sentiments exactly!!

Great pics Andrea!! I think you have become the official photographer for this group of ASSESS.

I knew that was Julian in the photo, just making a bit of a joke.

Hey aaron, hope you run across this..

You said look where you want to go..what happens if you open up on toeside? Is that as detrimental as heelside?

It is more detrimental when you don't look across the hill on a toeside. Use the head rotation when looking across the hill on a toeside turn to steal a quick glance up above you to check out the skiers/boarders that may be on a possible collision course with you. I can guarantee that many BOL members do this.

In regards to your original question, opening up on a toeside while not detrimental does increase the radius of the turn. I personally try to get in and out of the fall line ASAP. Stay in the fall line longer, speed builds.

In my earlier years I used to be pretty hardcore into slalom water skiing. While pulling through the wake to reach the bouy on the other side the same principle applies. Rotate chest, shoulders and head to look where you want to go. Fixate on something on the shoreline and ski to that. Don't look at the bouy or you will ski to the bouy. By fixating on something on the side of the run you will keep your shoulders, chest and head rotated (closed) acheiving a much tighter turn. For water skiers, by looking across and fixating on the shore you will cut through the wake without being pulled further down the slalom course. Carvers use the head rotation for turning, while water skiers use it to maintain a more direct line from one side of the slalom course to the other.

Hope that made sense

how were conditions and crowds today? I was gonna come up with my friend, but...it really looked like it was gonna be hard, hard hard, and she's only on her like 5th day and was already a bit sore-arsed from mammoth last week.

looks like the weather was quite nice?

you guys wanna plan one of these on a day that isn't an overpriced holiday period? Please do!

Had such a good time at this gathering. The only lines we stood in were behind all the other hardbooters on the chair :eplus2:. Conditions were excellent all day.

Thanks for all the pics Andrea! It is soooo cool to have a good camera for action shots. And so nice of you to sit and take all of those photos.

My plans of riding with you guys were dashed by work demands that day. It was great that I at least got a chance to shake a few hands with you that day. Plan another get together and I can host a lunch for you guys when you come up. One of my dogs cut her paw Sunday on the hill and I had to go off the mountian and get my other dog back on the slopes. Tried finding you guys later but between my new hires and accidents, I never made it happen. Glad you all had a great time. Snow is even better today so we miss you all up here.

Dennis

Patrol Director

Big Bear Mountian Resorts

Force your old man to let you take the Proton out with some TD2s.

What size are your feet? I have some good soft boots you can borrow to get started if your dad doesn't have any other HBs. Nice and forgiving. You're about my age right? 14-15?

Nice riding with you..I have to say that K2 sure was nicely waxed or something.. on the beginning of the run at chair 7 I could never pass you straightlining before the flat portion.

Yeah thats kinda what i do.

i LOVE going fast.:1luvu:

and im taking out the F2 Roadster on sunday. Erwin might come up with us if the surf isnt good, right Erwin? :eplus2:

My boots are hardboots, just not like your hardboots. they're more of a freestyle hard boot thing. K2 clickers.

and yeah, im 14

Julian, glad to hear the news that you might be converting to the other side. Looking at your pics it looks like you are carving fairly well on that set up. I told your dad that I have some extra hardboots if you would like to use them. The size is 27.5 mondo, I wear a 10.5 shoe and they worked for me. If you guys go sunday I might join you. It was good to see you again!!!

Outdoor Emergency Care

It's a program developed by the National Ski Patrol. It's an intensive medical training program similar to Emergency Medical Technician training, but geared towards outdoor rescue and first aid.

The book covers everything from dismemberment to delivering a baby to electrical shock that goes through your leg and blows out the other side. Also might be able to do National Mountain Bike Patrol..if there's a division around here. Maybe when I'm older I'll start one at Baldy or some other lift serviced bike area. Lots of injuries have to happen in downhill and freeride biking.

Luckily Baldy (the only place in SoCal I'd even think of patrolling..) is just a bunch of old guys on straight skis most of the time. Really tightly knit group of guys over there, similar to hardbooters. Unless of course there are freshies..then it's every man for himself. Good thing I don't have any boards that float nor a dad that likes driving in snow.

Make sure you take Aaron up on his offer. Stiff softies (I've ridden clickers) are a completely different game from hardboots. Also those soft stepins stick you right on the board, no fun without the leverage plates.

It would be a pleasure to ride with you again. It's not fun riding with a bunch of old farts ALL the time. :p