Note to New Members ×

Snow Summit January 4th 2009 meet the ASSESS

carvingchef

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:One who is silly enough to throw away most of august anyway!

It's a tough decision. I can be a three year varsity football player or a ski patroller..

Part of my reasoning is I only get highschool once..and especially being scoped out by the varsity coaches as a freshman.

Then again, I got 2 concussions, a seperated shoulder, a hyperextended ankle, and broke most of my fingers. Still totally worth it..Not to say I was only on the receiving end, and although I don't like to brag about it, because it's not necessarily a great thing, I put 2 people in the hands of the paramedics during the season.

Slightly more satisfying is playing d-end, getting an interception and pulling 5 yards out of it. 6 swatted passes, and I think I played against about 50 different left tackles over the course of 10 games. Only made 3 tackles for a loss, so no defensive MVP for me.

Or I can mostly avoid any more injuries and be a patroller, and still do track in the spring. But another consideration is I did no snowsports before the end of March, started HBs in the beginning of April.

"Theo, shut up and listen. Set the edge and ride it out."

Thanks Dad!

To my knowledge there are..

3 active resorts in the San Gabriels

1. Mt. High East, West, and North (used to be each individually managed. Still 3 different peaks and faces)

2. Baldy which is 2 faces, Mt. San Antonio, Thunder Mountain, and the bowl they form into. The runs are basically a giant Y shape, with the parking lot at the bottom of the Y. Fun, steep mountain. Very archaic. Old lifts with a-frame towers. Slow, rickety things. A true technical nightmare, but a blast either way. Started HBing here. Generally hated by most, my favorite resort of all the ones I've skied. (All 4 of them) Also get the most vert in SoCal here.

3. Waterman..no snowmaking here. Open about 10 days a year.

4. Krakta Ridge..bought out by Waterman. May or may not open..The bullwheel house was used as a crack or meth lab..great. Currently inactive

In the San Bernadino Mts.

1. Bear and Summit, obviously managed by the same folks.

3. Snow Valley, small place, you see it on the way to Bear/Summit depending on the way you take. Might have been originally a part of Bear and Summit..I don't remember if it really was.

Sierra Nevadas

Mammoth and June..don't really consider these local..takes like 8 hours to get there if you aren't an amphetamine charged red eyed jackass.

Baldy is in the San Bernadino Forest BTW

and I've never heard of June till now. and Mammoth is only 5 hour drive....going 80 mph. we sometimes hit 110 mph in my dads element....scary.:smashfrea

5 hour drive if you don't stop perhaps. The 395 is definitely not the place to speed, and going 110 in a toaster is not my idea of a ski trip!

Baldy is in the San Gabriel Mtns; geographically very close to Mt. High. It's also got 400 acres vs. the 240 at Summit to give you an idea of how it's really quite different. Read somewhere it's got 3 of the 10 steepest patrolled runs on the continent. They also have a GS set up complete with timer.

It would be a pleasure to ride with you again. It's not fun riding with a bunch of old farts ALL the time. :p

Hey, who you calling an "old fart"?

Don't forget about Snow Forest on your areas. Snow Forest is located in Big Bear, it sits on the hills above the Alpine Slide/Snowplay area. Hasn't operated in over 10 years. I used to hike up there and get some fresh tracks down some of the runs. You can't see it too well from the southside of the lake but take a trip over to the north shore and look to the west of Snow Summit and you can see it clearly.

There was also Green Valley Ski Area, located at Green Valley Lake. You pass it on Hwy 18 on the way to Big Bear. Used to be a ski area with a few runs. They changed over to "snowboarding only" for a few years and then it closed up. I believe they do run a x-country skiing center there now. BTW, x-country skiing is a great cross training activity for mtn biking!!!

and I've never heard of June till now. and Mammoth is only 5 hour drive....going 80 mph. we sometimes hit 110 mph in my dads element....scary.:smashfrea

it was only 100 mph for about half a minute and when i asked you guess how fast we are going you thought it was like 70 or 75

besides, you said you like to go fast

Well, I'm not gonna call you a gaper or a stupid jibber. Running out of names here. I could call you a carvehomo, but that would be hypocritic.

Didn't know about Snow Forest, sounds fun. I'd love to hike that with you some time. Perhaps I can convince you to climb Baldy with me this summer on bikes. 2100* over the course of 3 miles. At elevation. My dad and I are gonna grab some bigger cog(s) and BMX bottom brackets..can you guess why? I'll give you a hint...we won't be shifting.

I'm not really sure what I'm cross training for anyway anymore..

First I'm biking for fun, then I started to run to crosstrain for biking, then I'm running for fun, then I'm biking to cross train for football, then I started biking more to cross train for skiing, now I'm snowboarding for fun, and I've ended up cross training for track, which really is just cross training for biking and football, both of which will become cross training for snowboarding.

Does drinking Red Bulls, Monster and Rock Star count as amphetamines???

If the active ingredient ends with "eeen" I'll find a way to call you a stupid junky :P

100..in a toaster no less. My brother removed the window from his Honda with the side of his head going 100.

I just hit 1,000 posts. I feel bad with Trench Digger under my name..

Or a stupid bro. Your choice..

YEAH BRA we went out to the desert but I broke my arm dirtbiking on this 300 foot jump so I smoked some weed but then I was like too tired to drive home so I pounded some monsters but I spilled some on my Metal Mulisha black pinstriped basketball jersey and it stained the numbers so I got really mad and then I had some Jager to calm my nerves then I drove home but I hit some old bat..lady went crazy so I just drove away but then I was really tipsy so I pounded some more Monster but then I was all twitchy n **** so I smoked another blunt and I was totally cool after that but then aparently I had a heart attack so here I am in the hospital. Does anyone have a Monster?

Great pics Andrea!! I think you have become the official photographer for this group of ASSESS.

Three cheers for Andrea:biggthump

The 2nd annual New Years (or thereabouts) ASSESS event was a big success!!! My other hardbooter friend showed up after all the other ASSES left. Conditions were still very carvable when I left at 4:45.