Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadow Reports 2008-2009

Hi guys! It looks like work might be bringing me out there on Saturday Jan 17th. Any runs I should just head to? Also I will be bringing a Prior 4WD 169. I have a Burton Custom 163 that I can bring as well. Will I be good with the 4WD?

I look forward to getting out there. Looks like I better have an AWD rental car!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys! It looks like work might be bringing me out there on Saturday Jan 17th. Any runs I should just head to? Also I will be bringing a Prior 4WD 169. I have a Burton Custom 163 that I can bring as well. Will I be good with the 4WD?

I look forward to getting out there. Looks like I better have an AWD rental car!

Hi Eric, flying into PDX?

Three major ski areas on Mt Hood.

MHM is argueably the best overall.

Please visit my "Locals Page" and familiarize yourself with the areas and their layouts.

Open the trail map and may I suggest this routine.

Be in the parking lot by 8am (opening at 9am) Saturdays are STUPID busy. So if don't want to hike from the next state. GET THERE EARLY!!!

Jump in line by 8:30AM 8:45 at latest. You need to have bought a day parking pass and your lift ticket by then.

Take the "Mt Hood Express"

Ride "North Canyon" or "South Canyon" to "Ridge Run".

If it is sunny, what for an opening of "Cascade" chair (off the "South Canyon") route.

Also watch for an opening of "Vista Express" , ride any run off it back to the chair.

Next, Ride North Canyon over to "Shooting Star Express" , watch for the intersection, it is both dangerous and easy to miss.

Ride "Tillicum" (Keep your speed up) to "Voyager" to reach the bottom of Shooting Star chair lift, Second run, exit to your right at the top of the chair, sort of a tough push or side slip to "Shooting Star Ridge" which is one of the best groomers (typically) at MHM.

After making a few laps at Shooting Star, get off the chair to the left (your left while seated on the chair) this time take "Discovery" back to "Tillicum" and stay on it this time, again, maintain some speed to get over to "Hood River Express" chair. Follow "Kinnikinnick" down to the bottom of the HRM chair. Lots of mellow runs. "Slow Zone Family Area".

Hope this helps.

Photo Galleries Here:

Download the trail map here: 4MB

Hi guys - I'm just dropping in to say, hello. I was viewing the conditions over there. We are experiencing sort of the same warm up here in western Montana too. Optimistically, it will help get a better base. Glad to see that your snowpack is growing strong like normal.

Missoula has been good to me so far. Its been almost 3 weeks already. Ive made it up to Snowbowl once a week so far. Pretty hardcore ski area. Never seen so many awesome skiers in one place. Do you like steep tree riding? This is your place. Looking forward to the next big powder day.

I'll check the conditions over here from time to time.

See you later,

Ed

Finally got a day in!! Easiest and most beautiful drive so far this season. Good News/ Bad news. 28 degress in Govy, 30 in the parking lot, 50+ at the top of Express. You would think this would mean SLOP. Not so, still firm/hard surface. Flat light and a bit windy kept in rock hard until about noonish. Sun came out and things did soften up.

What a group!!! Stand by while I count:

Mike T.

Mike H.

Mike (stop sign)

Dan (not PDX)

Jim M.

Eric

Peter (just met today)

Randy K

Me

I think there was a couple more? 10 ? WOW :biggthump

Overall, happy to make some turns with the Bros, easy drive and chance to work the muscles.

Bryan

post-198-141842270883_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842270886_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842270889_thumb.jpg

Finally got a day in!! Easiest and most beautiful drive so far this season. Good News/ Bad news. 28 degress in Govy, 30 in the parking lot, 50+ at the top of Express. You would think this would mean SLOP. Not so, still firm/hard surface. Flat light and a bit windy kept in rock hard until about noonish. Sun came out and things did soften up.

What a group!!! Stand by while I count:

Mike T.

Mike H.

Mike (stop sign)

Dan (not PDX)

Jim M.

Eric

Peter (just met today)

Randy K

Me

I think there was a couple more? 10 ? WOW :biggthump

Overall, happy to make some turns with the Bros, easy drive and chance to work the muscles.

Bryan

Beautiful photos Bryan, thanks for the update.

Sounds like a fun crew! Including Stop Sign Mike?! I haven't seen him up there for years and years, is he a mid-week only rider now? Would be nice to catch up with him.

Hoping to make it up on Friday...hope the snow holds up.

Hi Dan, yep , he looks great , (Stop Sign Mike) very fit as always. He was hanging with the other Dan! Didn't get much time to chat, so I don't know his plans.

As warm as it was, the snow was not soft. If someone showed up at noon today it would have been good timing. You never know.

A couple of the other guys did have cameras, hopefully they have some photos or video to offer.

I did just upload a short clip of Mike Tinkler over on Shooting Star Ridge. The sun had finally come out and

although it was still hard, it had gotten easier to read the surface. Mike makes it look easy.

He is riding a Metal TNT 184cm. Bryan

PS. It was captured on a Point and Shoot, no sound and MOV format. I don't have an editor for MOV so I just

uploaded the raw footage.

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep9Gk5pDGGE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep9Gk5pDGGE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

THREE Tinkler TNTs ??? Taking a quick break.

post-198-141842270909_thumb.jpg

Sweet! What a great day to have a mini-session! Great pictures, as always, Bryan.

(Aside for Bryan - Ran into Kirk March and his dad, Rick at PM today. Both have fond memories of riding with you at Mt. June)

Please say "Hi" for me when you see them again. Pretty cool to be able to carve with your Dad!! Yes, that was a Very Good Time!!

Bryan