Note to New Members ×

Donek Metals

Riverpig

Reposted from this thread

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21330

I am probably one of a small handful of riders who have been able to ride an olympic construction donek and a "latest construction" metal donek in the same shape. So I thought I would spend my 1 post for this month to respond.

I have ridden a 185 olympic Donek and a 185 metal Donek with everything else left the same (stiffness, sidecut, waist width, core taper etc, etc). I really quite enjoy the metal board. I have found that the board can go anywhere and do anything and is built solid. I have been riding the board with Catek OS2's with no plex plates as Sean asked me to try my hardest to break it. Nose rides, tail spins, harder than needed carves, stuffed into moguls, hit 3 trees (2 at SES one on the East Coast) HARD and no signs of any damage.

On to how the board rides. As I said above, I love this board compared to the olympic. It chews up variable terrain and ice better than the olympic construction. On one day, I switched between the olympic and the metal every other run and I could really feel the difference, especially on ice and when in rutted conditions. The thing I found interesting about the Donek Metal compared to some of the other metals out there is that I felt that the Donek did a better job of maintaining some of its livelyness. I don't know what to attribute this to but I think it is that the board was left at an 18.5 cm waist width where as most of the race metals and AM metals right now have gone wider. It could also have to do with the core and or flex pattern that Sean uses. I can see that the Metal 185 I have right now will cause my 3 other 185s to collect a LOT of dust. The torsional rigidity of the board is great.

The only thing I think I would change if I were to order another Donek Metal 185 would be to soften the board a hair from where my standard construction and olympic construction 185's are.

Speaking of soften, I would love to give a short discertation on Donek Stiffness rating scale, but I have to get to work (where I am not allowed to post to forums:-()

Ill check back tonight though

~tb

PS: incase someone is inclined to ask, here are the other metals I have had the pleasure of riding: Prior metal 183 and 186, Coiler Metal AM 17?, Coiler Metal 18?, Virus Metal 17? and 18?, Alpine Punk Split tail Metal 188, Older Kessler 18? Metal, Donek 171 FC1 old construction Metal, Donek 185 Hybrid metal, Donek 185 new construction metal.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up my new Donek Metal 175 with the low profile tip that Sean said added a little to the running edge length. I have had a number of Donek's from FC 1's at 164, 171, 181, 183, custom GS 179, to name a few. Most with the Olympic construction and the earlier ones standard construction.

Regarding the Metal Construction, I have never ridden a more fun board, including all the other manufacture's boards at the SES over the past three years.

What I found different from my Olympic Donek FC 1 171 and 179's is that the Metal seemed easier to initiate a turn, hold a carve, caver over variable conditions and even in the steeps. I am 6' and 180 lbs, intermediate carver and found have never been able to carve the entire steep section off Chair 6 at Loveland. Most of the time I can link about 3-4 turns and then have to skid my turn to scrub speed. Yesterday it was about zero degrees but this fresh snow groomed the night before, so the conditions where incredible. I carved the entire run without the board washing out with as much power I could muster. My wife almost tripped over the trenches I dug with the Donek Metal and TD2's.

I am not sure why the board carves easier or if it really does carve easier, but it sure feels like it. It also seems to hold easier and release easier. I have always been a Donek fan and loved my Olympic wood boards and thought they always held well and carved incredible. The new Metal just seemed to do it easier and better. I am already thinking of my next size to get!

The Metal FC 1 feels exactly like my Olympic FC 1 other than it feels a bit softer in the tip to initiate turns. It holds even better than my Olympic, turns better and is more stable, so the softer tip doesn't make sense. When I flex the board, it feels the same as my Olympic so I am not sure why it turns easier and seems to hold easier.

I can't say enough about how much fun this board was. I rode it today at a crowded slope and even found it a blast to race around the slow gappers littering the hill. I can post a pic later when I am on my other computer with the pics.

PS: incase someone is inclined to ask, here are the other metals I have had the pleasure of riding: Prior metal 183 and 186, Coiler Metal AM 17?, Coiler Metal 18?, Virus Metal 17? and 18?, Alpine Punk Split tail Metal 188, Older Kessler 18? Metal, Donek 171 FC1 old construction Metal, Donek 185 Hybrid metal, Donek 185 new construction metal.

You're my new hero.

Just a reminder that I am not the best carver and have only been riding for a few years now. Yesterday my buddy and I carved Loveland again and this time shot some video. It was about 30 degrees, so the snow was soft. I was a little hesitant to really lay into the new Donek metal due to a few runs prior I was driving it to hard and almost went out the front!

Phil