Note to New Members ×

Big Mtn Conditions

Bubba

I didn't know if this should be in the ride board. We are trying to book our winter trips and one of them is an annual trip to BM. Webcams show no snow, BM site has no info. Last year was great with a ton of snow, it looks grim now. If Dr. D or anyone in the area could provide some info, it would be appreciated.

I've been hiking it, just for exercise. Yet to take a board up. There's about 6 inches on top, maybe 12 on Black Bear and Marmot on the back side. Nothing past mid mountain. Some weather is supposed to come through tomorrow with snow levels to 3000 feet, so that should help, but unless it dumps big, they won't be opening this weekend. :( The upper half of Revelstoke is open, so I might go there unless this storm dumps someplace closer to home.

Things should be fine Christmas. It's supposed to start being a warmer and wetter than average December here (starting tomorrow), which should mean snow at altitude. When were you thinking of coming?

I been watching the weather and don't feel as bad now. I will try to make it out for BMES but work dictates when I can go. When we were out last year there was someone with full-face helmet riding a race board. Anyone here?

I was out there eight days last Feb and saw him almost everyday. He was the only carver I ever saw there. Tried to hook up with him but it never worked out. Funny you should mention his binding angles because it looked different when I would see him ride.

There are at least 8 of us. johnasmo daveredman wescarven myself and skwalguy are the only ones on the bomberboard I think. then there's rick, mario, rob bernie, john mcginnis, and one or two others. We have had good turnout for BMES the last two years. The OHIO boys are a perrenial favorite at least for the local bar industry:eplus2: just bring a pow board since we have had an overabundance of pow and little hard groom the last two years.

There are at least 8 of us. johnasmo daveredman wescarven myself and skwalguy are the only ones on the bomberboard I think. then there's rick, mario, rob bernie, john mcginnis, and one or two others. We have had good turnout for BMES the last two years. The OHIO boys are a perrenial favorite at least for the local bar industry:eplus2: just bring a pow board since we have had an overabundance of pow and little hard groom the last two years.

I hope to see some of you this year when we are out and will put something in the ride board once dates are figured out. I was only on the race board for 1 day there last year, the rest was all on a pow board......I can ride cord all day in MN. Speaking of bars, we went to the Northern to see John Dunnigan after a nice dinner at the golf course. Apparently a few people didn't like the button down shirt look and I had a few invites to look at the after dark scenery outside. This year it will be a hoodie and a ballcap.

LOL

probably mistook you for a californian:eplus2:

we are an interesting blend of supergreenie hippie wannabe's and hardcore log the planet manly men. neither of them like the corporate look.

Funny thing is that I am from CA transplanted to MN. Have eaten at golf clubs and the "corporate look" is the norm. I just figured it was a nice joint to eat so one must dress the part.........I was mistaken. I will leave the "corporate look" at home this year.

b0ardski - dunnigan is great and have seen him many, many times and boy does he like the Patron!

I first met him when he played at blacktail in '99. saw him a few times before we moved to Sandpoint a few years ago.

He's kind of a north woods Jimmy Buffet.

He is a very cool, down-to-earth guy. I have played drums for 32 years and he let me sit in with him playing spoons at the Northern and Ed&Mullys on the mountain.

howdy bubba

bubba in a button down shirt... funny stuff!

this is the thread to follow...

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21285

i will post snow reports on the days i ride.

as shred said the last week of january is normally good.

although last year was a powder fest, which might happen again,

but who knows... today snowed about an inch in town which means

about 4 to 6 on the big. still not looking so good for dec. opening.

west carven

That sounds like a good time, Bubba.

Have you ever heard of Artis the Spoonman??

from the seattle area

truly a kitchen utinsel virtuoso.

Soundgarden wrote a song about him. I got to see him open for the Dead at Bumpershoot Festival in Seattle many years ago

Never heard of him but will do a search to see if I can find anything. That must be the story behind "Spoonman". The kitchen is where I started learning my licks (my father was a classical musician). It started at the high chair, then went to pencils on the table. After the table edges were destroyed my dad figured that it was time for sticks. The sticks eventually destroyed the pots, pans, and lids. It was time for a drum set! No more destruction except for the heads and my parents ears.

To the BigMtn gang thanks for all the info, this is a great community! Hope to meet /ride with some of you when we come out. I think that we are looking at Feb 5-16 for our trip. Hope to throw in a visit to Fernie and see some friends in Missoula while out there.

Hiked the Big again today, but this time I dragged a board up. Enough coverage (barely) to make it to mid mountain, but walked the rest of the way to save my base. Snowboarding season at Big Mountain is un-officially open!

Temps finally dropping, so they were setting up snow guns. They may have enough for a back side run down to chair 7 this weekend. But unless we get more snow the rest of the week, we'll have to download on chair 1 for a while because lower Russ's Street has just a couple of messy inches on it from today's snow.

holy crap :eek: I had no idea that the picture would continue to update off of the webcam after I copied and pasted it into this thread.

what a country:D

That is cool, don't know how you did it but you da man! 10 inches of snow here last night. It was a true SE MN powder day. Pretty pathetic huh? :freak3: