Note to New Members ×

Booster strap the right cure?

WRXRacer111

Hello, I don't post here much, but I've been riding plates for roughly 11 years now. I thought the issues might be intertwined to some degree so I thought I'd mention them together and see if there's one cure, or if I need to do different things to solve them separately

Haven't had any problems with shin bang, blisters etc. which is why I'm somewhat reluctant to try a bunch of different boots apart from the fact that there aren't any hardboot component dealers nearby.

Boots- Raichle 223

Boards- Sims Burner 168 split-tail + Burton Coil 173

Rider weight- 210lbs.

Leg shape- narrow ankle bone structure, thick calves

First problem- For high-speed high-power turns on the Burner, I feel like my heels are trying to lift up and out of the boots, particularly the rear. Changing the forward lean doesn't seem to effect this. If I tighten the lower buckles enough to keep my heel locked in to a comfortable degree, I find that it restricts blood circulation and my lower leg burns out faster.

Second problem- As I've gotten heavier and stronger with age, I prefer to tighten the top buckles up more to stiffen the boot. I'm strong enough to power out of bobbles if I need to. Again, with the buckles tighter it restricts blood circulation and I burn out faster.

I'd like to stiffen the flex of the boot because I seem to ride better that way, and tighten up the heel so I don't feel like I'm going to pull out of my boot without needing to cut off the circulation through my leg.

OR is it possible I'm pulling out of the heel because I'm "undersprung" on boot stiffness. IE if the boot didn't flex as much I *might* not pull out of the heel. Not sure on this theory, any thoughts?

Would something like a SkitMetrix Booster Strap help add stiffness so the boot supports me a little better without needing to clamp things down so tight I have no circulation?

Liners....you might wanna try having them shapped a bit (inserts) to better hold your ankles or switching to thermoflex liners. I have very little lift that was solved with lift but this year my rear ankle has changed shape and may require thermos to continue proper hold

otherwise it may be time for new boots

Yes, the Booster straps would stiffen up the boots but can't help your problem of heellift go away. Last season I have chosen for foamed liners from Strolz (you can take any other brand) and my control and riding performance has gone up some. Almost no heellift anymore, the liners added also real stiffness to my Deeluxe Track 700. With the help of the stiffened liners I can carve my turns more precise, the control is outstanding.

Still not enough information, but I could take a guess.

Typical issue (heel lift) with old Raichle boots. Your calf is taking the path of least resistance by trying to find a way out of the boot.

Yes, the Booster strap will add slight rigidity...but that boot is a noodle to begin with. If I were in your situation, I'd consider a new liner (perhaps even a ZipFit) and popping 2-3 rivets in each boot. You might even be able to find additional tongues on ebay which you could epoxy onto the existing tongue. All theses were "par for the course" back in the old-day.

While forward lean has it's place, its not to monkey with the flex. In your case, I'd keep them upright to avoid problems with the back of your calf. If you have a lower volume foot, I'd recommend some heel lifts (if you have room).

k

I had the same problems when I rode in the old Raichle boots. I tried both of the newer style Raichles (back when they were called AFxxx, not by names) and neither worked properly for me (I'm talking more the heel lift problem than the tightness issue). Ended up first going with UPZ which were good, and then to Head Stratos, which IMO are the best hard boots I've ever used (at least 6 different types of hard boots over the past 20 years). Other than heat molding the stock liners in the Heads, the only modification I've made is to remove the (IMO) useless velcro strap from the liner. I've gone back and forth between the stiff and stock tongue, and ended up with the softer one eventually - mostly because I don't ride quite as aggressively any more.

I replace the stock power straps on all my boots with Booster straps. AT boots, SB hard boots and Alpine boots. It is a way superior alternative to either nothing, or the stock, rigid power straps that come on many boots. It lets you have a good, snug fit while maintaining a degree of flex/give.

I say bite the bullet and get yourself some new boots. There are lots of threads on here about which boots fit which type of foot better. For me its UPZ or Head over Raichle/Deluxe but YMMV. Either way, investing in some Booster straps is worth it. You can take them with you to your next set of boots. I use the ones with 3 bands.