Note to New Members ×

Slalom crash video request

kjl

You know that really cool carving crash that happens when you accidentally hook in too hard, load up way, way too much energy into the board, and upon exiting the carve, the huge spring release of the energy launches you airborne sideways towards the trees, and you do a backflip/cartwheel (well, usually only half of one)? I love that one (no really, as long as your knees don't explode from the G-force, it's probably one of the funniest ways to crash).

A long time ago somebody posted a video of somebody (maybe Jasey Jay) doing that on a slalom course. I think he came around a gate late, deliberately dug in super hard to make the next one, made like a 2meter radius carve and got launched 15 feet sideways and landed on his side.... Although my memory is super fuzzy... it might have actually been Bode Miller doing it in a slalom course on skis, or somebody else.

Anybody have a link to that? My forum search, youtube, and google powers are failing me.

Thanks.

--

Ken

Yeah, I think that might be the one. For some reason I remember the video having more turns, and I thought he overpressured the board in response to being late around a previous gate (not just hitting an unexpected bump)

Maybe I am jumbling two videos in my head - maybe there is also one of Bode or somebody else doing something like that on a slalom course.

Thanks!

Ugh. That does not look like it felt good.

Back in college, I loaded my nose coming out of the second to last gate in a GS race on Stadium at Mt. Hood Meadows and catapulted myself into a full front flip. I actually landed it (with a hand down) and finished (slowly) the run. It was not pretty (I was told), nor did it feel pretty - one of those "crashses" were all of your guts feel like they were put in a blender. I then proceeded to DNF my second run after losing an edge towards the top of the course. I also managed to break my thumb.

No video of the flip, but I do have witnesses.

I did that sort of thing on a heelside turn on a scratchy/hard course a couple years ago. I was late coming through a gate as I entered a flat-ish section of the course, over edged / pressured the heelside front of the board and launched a good 6 feet into the air, flipped and landed on my tailbone. Despite wearing a full back protector, I still had a gruesome bruise above my butt crack that lasted for ages. I have pictures of the bruise, but they aren't pretty.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the nose-loaded, endo/front-flip crash. That's really hard on the legs and the gear, and whatever part of your body you land on. The overload and then out-of-control release is the fun one, especially if you get one or two out-of-control carves out of it (huge energy spring release actually throws you uncontrollably into the next carve, but even harder, and then that one throws you into the next one, but even harder, and then you get spring-launched into a backflip.)

The other problem, of course, with nose loading is that disturbing pop followed by you crumbling forward over the nose as you think ...wait a minute, I'm not supposed to be this close to the board; the board is not that soft... Next think you know, you have another broken board to put on the wall.

But that also means you can start shopping...

Ive had 2 similar wipeout-yardsales.

I hope never to have a third.

I'm with Dave on this one. I also have done the catapult flip twice. You would think I would have learned after the first one took out my AC joint (thats where my collar bone once was connected to my shoulder). I was a lot luckier on the more recent one and got away with no problems.

My boards survived both incidents just fine.

Last year in Fernie I hit a soft patch on the side of a groomer and loaded up the nose on my Virus - I did a complete flip with the tail of my board coming down so hard that it buried it up to my rear boot. I could not pull the board out while I was in the bindings. I would have asked my riding buddies to help me out, but they were too busy crying with laughter on their hands and knees behind me...

Last year in Fernie I hit a soft patch on the side of a groomer and loaded up the nose on my Virus - I did a complete flip with the tail of my board coming down so hard that it buried it up to my rear boot. I could not pull the board out while I was in the bindings. I would have asked my riding buddies to help me out, but they were too busy crying with laughter on their hands and knees behind me...

I did the exact same thing at Magic Mountain a few years ago. I was riding alone and had to get out of the bindings before I could dig the board out of the snow.

As long as we're trading stories - two seasons ago, I folded it so hard that the nose of the board came up and broke my goggles. Real lucky it didn't break my face. Oh ya, and the board was smashed beyond repair too.

I don't know how you really "learn" not to do that. When I ride aggressively, I load the front of the board. Then it folds, there's no warning.