Note to New Members ×

already covered I am sure DUPRAZ

Dr D

I can't find the thread with all of Bola's good dupraz advice.

I love my 4807's and am wanting to get a Dupraz. I ride the dynastar 178 version of the 4807 well and its a little stiffer feeling than the osin version.

I am 6'4" and 275 lbs D1 D1+ or D1++ 6footer? I will probably ride it with both hard and soft boots. mainly with malamutes and catek freerides at 45ish degrees.

help me out Bola which one do I want? email me a price on them as well if you are still carrying them.:biggthump

I guess anyone who has ridden the 4807 and liked it and has tried the dupraz should chime in as well. I can carve the 4807 well and from the description I believe the dupraz is built much the same. stiff tail soft nose etc. am I wrong?

From what I have heard Bola is out of the country til the 3rd.

I got to demo the 6' D1+ last season and really liked it in a foot of powder. Since the Dupraz has such a short effective edge is takes a bit of work to really make it carve on firmer or compacted snow. I was using the board with Malamutes and Flow Eleven bindings. I never tried it with HBs since that is not the way that I would use that type of tool.

I am at 175-180lbs, D.T. purchased the 6' D1+ and is a bit heavier than me. Maybe D.T. will see this thread and chime in, I don't recall his reasoning for going with the + over the ++, he did have one after flexing and talking to Bola for some time.

Like SVR said the D1 is too soft, works best under a lighter rider, the + worked well for me but I have not tried the ++. The ++ just might be the board for you.

Ink

I own a Dupraz d1 and have ridden it a lot with both hard and soft boots in all kinds of conditions from powder to hard pack and soft slush. I have decided to ride it only with soft boots as I have tried it with catek olympic plates with intec and Bomber td2 with intec -yellow rings and Nidecker free carve bail bindings which have way more flex. I like the way it rides with soft boots way better and don't see the need to use hard boots on it at all. This is after numerous days on a lot of these set ups. The thing to remember with a Dupraz is that you must ride it very centered and not load the nose too much. Go read the advice on the Dupraz site-If the tail feels too stiff while riding you are too far back if the nose feels too soft you are too far foward. I almost never feel like the nose is too soft and I weigh 185 and am 5' 10". I like the way you can really ride it like a surf board in powder and do hard turns and not sink. It is a great board and excells in powder and soft snow conditions.But it also carves pretty well on the groomers also. It is a little weird to ride in bumps but it can be done. I like the soft boots better becuase of the lighter weight and smoother ride in variable snow conditions. Bola likes to call this board The "Quiver Killer". I was surprised that no one tried one last January at loveland when we had the board demo day. The Dupraz is one of the best boards I have ridden and I will always own one. Sorry to rave about it so much but I really like this board. I have other boards that I ride as well but when the conditions are right the Dupraz kills it.

I own a 4807 and never liked it. Okay, I rode for exactly one run and didn't like the width and the way it rode on hard snow. Rode the Dupraz D1+ for a full day at Whistler in variable conditions - hard pack, chopped pow, bumps. Loved it. Never once felt that the nose was too soft. In fact, I overloaded the nose while going into aggressive carves and had no problem. The very same day, I demoed a Prior WCR, loaded the nose, watched it fold in front of me and slammed my head into the hard snow.

I would say go for the D1+ as a good in-between stiffness.

interested in parting with the 4807? They are currently my quiver killer. I am always looking for a back up. I am thinking the D1+ is probably the one for me as well.

If you try the 4807 again ride it as far back as you can. the center of the effective edge is all the way back in the inserts on the 168 and maybe one notch forward on the 178. IT totally changes the ride.:biggthump

D.T. purchased the 6' D1+ and is a bit heavier than me. Maybe D.T. will see this thread and chime in, I don't recall his reasoning for going with the + over the ++, he did have one after flexing and talking to Bola for some time.

I spent an hour flexing ~10 different Duprazs. I picked the flex that I though matched my riding style the best.

Call Bola and talk to him, he's not on here that often.

Whithout having ridden the Dupraz (isn't Dup sweeter sounding?), I wonder what advantages, carving-wise, it would have over 4807? When you look at the specs, 4807 has more edge, narrower waist, less taper, and a lot longer scr. In my book that's better for carving... I'm certainly going to try and demo a Dup, to give a fair comparesment.

As for the 4807 riding technique, I ride the 178 centered or just aft of the ref. stance. Nose loading is not required or desirable. As it is wide, it does require a bit more effort to get high on the edge on harder snow then a race board. The best approach is to ride it with very aggressive cross-under that alows you to get high angle before you fully loaded the board, thus initial pressure is not fighting your effort to tilt it up. Once its up, it rails. However, I don't see why a quiver owner would want to ride it on hard pack or icy surface...

The 4807 just seemed really big and really wide. It seemed to want to ride flat, not on edge. I also think the tail shape made it difficult to skid. Maybe a good thing if you're committed to a carve but not good if you're just tooling around on a little Eastern slope. Now mind you, I'm judging based on one run on hard pack so my review is a bit like reviewing a Lamborgini based on a single drive on crowded city streets.

It felt like it would take a lot of time for me to feel comfortable on the 4807.

The Dupraz, OTOH, I just jumped on and ran. It felt immediately comfortable in hard pack and soft snow. It rode a lot shorter than it looked. I was even able to turn it quickly in mild bumps and glades.

My opinion is that the 4807 is a much more specialized stick than the Dupraz. You need soft snow or pow for the 4807 whereas the Dupraz rode just fine on any kind of surface.

Its funny how personal taste and riding styles can influence like/hate of a board.

BlueB and I ride the same hill same conditions both in HBs, he loves the 4807.

I have two a 168 and a 178 and just am not a fan, can ride them okay but I have much preferred weapons to go to first.

Now the Dupraz, I quite liked, it may have even been the same one Skategoat was on as I had demoed it about a week prior.

I posted my review of it on the Cypress threads last spring, it should be known I could fold the nose if I wanted , but have a sneaking suspicion I am of the clydesdale class( 240) compared to Sgoat. For me its a no brainer with the D1 in ++ flex. Am still trying to decide between modded Prior Spearhead vs the Dupraz to purchase for this year.

Dave*

I can't fly to colorado just to flex a board though:rolleyes:

Unless Bola is truly a trusting supremely cool guy and wants to send me both for a test flex and have me send one back:D I am going to give it the good old fashioned guess.

I can't fly to colorado just to flex a board though:rolleyes:

Unless Bola is truly a trusting supremely cool guy and wants to send me both for a test flex and have me send one back:D I am going to give it the good old fashioned guess.

e-mail sent

and yes, Bola is a very good guy!

any soft boot carvers out there that have tried a dupraz?

I may be worrying this to death but the more input I get from diverse groups the more I think I can make a good decision without actually being there to flex and or ride the boards.

and yes, Bola is a very good guy!

+1

I rode the board in Malamutes and Flows on both a firm day and a 1' pow day. I didn't like it as much on the firm day due to the short edge contact. I could rail turns but it took much more effort and wasn't, IMO, what the board was designed for. That said, the board is an absolute blast to ride in powder. The float and manuverability is very good and I would definately think about having one in the quiver if I had the funding for it.

Ink