Note to New Members ×

chairlift respect

CarvCanada

One thing that's great about carving is that any carver's deepest and hardest line can be done on chairlift runs. Also, you hardly ever see someone really ripping it on a snowboard like carver's do. What are some of the things that people have screamed at from the chairlifts at you?

I've had the typical... ahhhhhhhhh! (high pitched)

also from the parkies, slightly subdued (siiiick...)or(SH!T!)

old men skiers : (wow) then possibly if it's quiet, you stop and listen carfuly, "what would you say the sidecut is on that...

and in the spring when i bust out my big bear style fur jacket for fun(it was made for me by eskimos, i don't buy fur) : (ROCK ON!!!!)

looking at my next turn to see what happens at chair level. but at SES you sure heard a lot of yelling! Best one for me was last day three seasons ago. Soft boot carving on a run facing the lodge, doing grab carves on the heelside. Saw a lady down at the lodge stop in her tracks and watch the whole way down. Next best was this year, carved around a corner onto a run, saw this snowboarder sitting there watching me the whole way around and back up the slope, dumbfounded. Guess he learned a whole new meaning to the term edge control!

Guest gregc

The coolest thing that someone ever yelled at me while carving, (or at least the the jib kids who were yelling it at me thought was cool), was "Why don't you just ski?"

I did not understand it then, (5->6 years ago) and I don't understand it now!

95 in steamboat...good ol PJ7. Ridin alone toward the mid-lodge...

didnt even know anyone was behind me (quiet day) until a ski patrol pulls up next to me.

I thought I was in trouble cuz I wasnt lookin when I was turnin.

"nice arcs" was all he said. we threw a few turns in sync and then he went right and I went left to another run

that'll always be a good memory, for sure

Guest Pre School Rider

In the LineUp for Ski-School,I overhear..."Did you see Brammer's turns this morning?" The other ski instructor,a veteran who's been teaching as long as I've been alive replies,"Yeah,I didn't know he's That good!" When you get to overhear remarks like that,it makes you wonder just how bad your Rep is otherwise... :)

Guest thomas_m

Not from the chairlift but a few weeks back when we gathered for closing day at Crystal Mountain all six of us were lined up on the lip at the top of a run when a late-teenage girl in full Roxy/Volcom regalia skated up from behind. I was off to the side to go last(slowest) when I saw her silently mouth "Wow!" and jab her similarly outfitted girlfriend pointing at all the long skinny boards. I guess they were impressed by the length or our uhhhh, coughcough, sticks.

Oh yeah, I hooted at Pepe Le Pew from the lift once but I think he thought I wuz a fuggin' nut...

T.

People never yell or hoot from Japanese chairlifts. It's just not the done thing. They don't even turn their heads to look. It would be rude.

Not much yelling or hooting from Australian chairlifts either. But one time in Australia when I was taking the chairlift down the mountain, a guy on a chair going up waited until his chair had just passed mine before saying "Hey carver-boy" in a fairly derisive, almost malicious tone.

On two separate occasions I had skiers overtaking me. I got a bit nervous when I noticed they weren't passing me, so I stopped. (I really hate being in the way, especially when I don't know the person behind me.)

Both times I got props: "Nice carves!" and "Looking great!"

Another time I had just finished carving down a steep-for-me pitch and after the flat transition, sat down to wait for my buds. I heard this woman skier talking from about 35 feet away; it turns out she was talking to me: "That looks like fun! What do you call it?" My reply: "Snowboarding." ;) Then I explained a bit more about it and she promised to keep her eyes open so she could watch my friends and I carving throughout the day.

It feels good to get props. Looking back, I don't think I've ever gotten props from another snowboarder!

About a month ago, I was riding Powder Mountain. At the bottom of one of my runs, a young man (~15 - 16 yrs.) skated up to me and said "Man, you were really rippin' it up! Is it hard to learn to carve like that?" He then followed me to the lift and rode the next one up with me asking a thousand questions on the way. And I had a great time answering them all. We rode the next couple together, with me giving a bit of advice for him (he was riding a soft setup) - it was a lot of fun! I've had a number of similar comments this past season, mostly from younger RIDERS, which is really cool. I believe there is a growing interest among that cohort. Maybe the future for our sport is not so dim!

yah I'm 17, started plates when i was 15.

all by boarder friends who know "everything" about snowboarding and tune their boards once every 2 years said "what the hell is that" and... why are you so slow you take forever to come down the mountain! of course, I was spending 50% of my time moving laterally and even maybe 5% of time moving uphill, while they just bomb. of course now, 2 years later after many times they are coming up chairlift and see me ripping hard on Coiler 186, they yell GO MATT! I have managed to change their angles from duck stance (ewww!) to 30/25! yay!

even my skier friend who cannot admit to defeat, after bombing down the hill, looked up and watched a whole run down a smooth wide blue run, and said "wow, really tight radius turns"

ha! on a coiler 186 15m rad.

Kirk I do agree with you as I am just getting started. I took it from my uncle. And I also like to be unique, apart from all my other friends and I thought this was a good way to break away from the freeride boards off and on. I grew interest mainly when I talked to my uncle about carving, he explained its hard at first but after a while you get used to the turning and such, it just sounded fun, man I can't wait till I can rip tight turns!:p :)

________

E Cigarette Shop

Guest OCD

I have a friend who is a good rider on a soft set up and frequently falls because he pushes his gear a little further than his toes and heels allow but he will not try a carving set up. Call it pride I don't know but if you can ride well and have an understanding of the 'Carve' you will be able to carve on an alpine board>practice and you will carve well. I think that you cannot compare soft and hard riders...apples and oranges. Good riders are good and bad riders are bad no matter what style of riding you choose.

Originally posted by CarvCanada

oh man I LOVE digging a FAT trench around groups of a few snowboarders sitting on their ass taking a rest.

I go through the park and the halfpipe digging S trenches (keep it safe tho!) around them and watch them dumbfounded

better yet, go out on a good boardercross board and hit the biggest gap there and carve away from the landing

Guest stoked

"Snowboarding." :) Yes! Tommy D found the perfect answer!

Seems to me that freestylers or skiers having fun find it easy to give you props.

That would of course mean that several freestylers and skiers are not having that much fun :)

Two of my favorite riders to watch (on hard boots) where I ride( Snoqualmie) is Jacob (the Hawaiian) and another fellow (don't know his name) with LONG blonde hair in a pony tail. Jacob is fast and carves hard but the guy with the pony tail is absolutely sick. He's the only one I've ever seen ride the park on an alpine setup. He makes switch carving look effortless. Definitely an inspiration to myself and to my students. BTW anyone know who it is?

________

Recall zoloft

This season I was stopped at the base of the lift by a skier who commented to me, "What kind of set-up is that?"

"A hardboot set-up for carving."

"It looks unforgiving," she said. "Is it diffucult?"

"Not if you know how to snowboard." I replied.

Guest cmc

While my girlfriend was carving under the lift, two little ****s threw an ice ball at her a decked her in the leg leaving a bruise. I hauled ass running up the hill to look for them getting off the lift but to no avail. If I had caught the little ****, I would have broke his hand so he would remember the next time he wanted to throw a snowball.

HA i did that to my mom, but hit her in the shoulder, it was pretty much a mericle that the damn thing hit her, i never expected it to because she was like 40 yards across the hill and when i threw it she was probably still 75 yards from where i aimed, she skied right into it, and took it like it was a snowflake. I mentioned it later that day and she showed me the bruise, i was lucky i didn't get my ass beaten for that one, of coarse i was a little younger then...

I was a bit surprised at ECES by how much interest there was from both soft booters and skiers. On every run at least one person would ask me about it and I'd say half of them found their way down to the demo tent. It was very cool.