Note to New Members ×

Opening Day in Colorado?

queequeg

So, I've never been to a colorado resort on opening day, but I've been to a few on the east coast and it's usually pretty bare/patchy with not-so-great snow. I'm trying to plan a trip to colorado for Nov 15-22 and It seems to me that A-Basin and Loveland are usually open about a month before that. Some of my friends are interested in Keystone and Steamboat, but it seems they opened significantly later last year with steamboat not opening until the 30th of November and keystone not opening until the 2nd of november. Steamboat seems really unlikely, as they probably won't even be opened but Keystone seems possible, so the question is, will it be worth it - what is early season snow like at Keystone or for colorado in general. To my mind, we should be sticking to Loveland and A-Basin because they open early but I could be wrong?

Sounds like you're open to options. Find out what has the most open when you get here. Then go there. Keystone or Steamboat, that seems really random. I've found Keystone to be un-fun in the middle of the season, so personally I'd be looking at the other I-70 resorts... I know that when Keystone has opened the last few years you've had to download rather than ski all the way down the mountain, for a week or two. Lots of stuff is easy to get to from Denver. I'd figure it out when you know what's open and what's not (as far as terrain goes). Or I we need more about what you're looking for. Budget trip, possible non-riding activities... To be honest most resorts don't have too much of their mountain open before Thanksgiving weekend.

my morning ramblings...

twelsch

The typical opening is mid November. For the areas that are 'racing' to open, the conditions are marginal. If you hear of some good dumps before you come out, it will help. I think that early season conditions are going to be comparable across the US unless there are storms that make a difference. Early season snow is enough to get a person out, but the excitement is not there yet.

Good luck

Loveland and A-basin open, mid to late october, with what is often called the "white ribbon of death", one run of man made snow. They both continue with snow making to get more runs open and hope that mother nature will share some of her goods. Like Blue Bird said the rest of the resorts try to open just before Thanksgiving depending on snow amounts. Most places aren't that great until later December or January depending on storms.

It is still fun if you can stand the crowds and small number of trails in the early season. Heck, it's carving when a bunch of the country is still warm.

Let us know if you come out and maybe we can get a group together somewhere.

Ink

Loveland and A-basin open, mid to late october, with what is often called the "white ribbon of death", one run of man made snow.

Yikes. Well the farmers almanac is predicting a "colder, brutal, catastrophic winter" so uhh ... hopefully mother nature will help us out. I'll definitely post when I get out there.

QQ - let us know when you're out here. I"ll be nice to see a fellow east coaster who enjoys a white ribbon of death because its a groomer and not powdah :p

And worst case, you can always come to Breck and drink with us!

QQ - let us know when you're out here. I"ll be nice to see a fellow east coaster who enjoys a white ribbon of death because its a groomer and not powdah :p

And worst case, you can always come to Breck and drink with us!

I'll definitely send you a message Angie! You're so lucky to be living in CO now! I've convinced one of my friends on the trip to give carving a shot this season, and she will be coming too! She's all excited about it. I'm still trying to find a pair of boots for her.

Copper Mountain ! Last year they opened around the 8th and Noram Alpine race were hold on 15-16. This year, the race is on Nov. 19th-20th. To make sure that racers don't bother too much normal people, training starts very early in the morning ( 6h30 ) and finish early. At the same time, a chance to see complete National team from USA, CAnada & Japan. Conditions were good last year.

You can get a 4pak of tickets at Lovey for $119.

Order online at http://www.skiloveland.com/

These are actual tickets with no blackout dates that you receive so you can share them or use them all yourself. :)

Copper has 4 packs for $129 but I don't know if you get tickets or a punch card type of thing.

A-Basin doesn't show anything on their website for 4 packs.

Check other websites to see if there are other deals before coming out.

Ink

I can get Copper four packs through work, but I think it is a four-per person thing, like a pass with four uses on it (punch card thing). I also think it is one of those wonderful deals where you have to drive to an obscure location and purchase them in person for the first time....seems to be a trend around these parts!

Thanks for the info Ink and Angie - do you guys have any recommendations in terms of places to stay? I figure you may not seeing as how you live there. Right now we are looking at staying at the Key to the Rockies in keystone, but I'm hoping to find something closer to loveland/A-Basin. Trying to avoid renting a car.

Right now we are looking at staying at the Key to the Rockies in keystone, but I'm hoping to find something closer to loveland/A-Basin. Trying to avoid renting a car.

There are shuttles from Keystone to the Basin but you would need to rent or hitch a ride to get to Lovey. There is no lodging in or near enough to Lovey.

Ink

Opening day runs... A-basin opened Oct 9 last season and I'm pretty sure they beat Lovey. I was there on Oct 10, but wouldn't have taken the hard boots out that day if a gun was to my head. I remember taking the lift back DOWN the hill at Keystone at the end of the day until about Dec 1. Whack. All that potential energy gone to waste. They seem to take their time getting that last headwall open at Keys.

Pics are from the first few days of the season last year. They're in MMDDYYhhmm format. < edit: top to bottom dates 10/11, 10/11, 10/12 >

Place to stay for your trip... I've got a winter share in Frisco. $40/night/head. Less for midweek. Email me if you're interested. I'm also going to post some details about that on another thread here shortly.

post-5295-141842260921_thumb.jpg

post-5295-141842260924_thumb.jpg

post-5295-141842260927_thumb.jpg

Opening day runs... A-basin opened Oct 9 last season and I'm pretty sure they beat Lovey. I was there on Oct 10, but wouldn't have taken the hard boots out that day if a gun was to my head. I remember taking the lift back DOWN the hill at Keystone at the end of the day until about Dec 1. Whack. All that potential energy gone to waste. They seem to take their time getting that last headwall open at Keys.

Pics are from the first few days of the season last year. They're in MMDDYYhhmm format. < edit: top to bottom dates 10/11, 10/11, 10/12 >

Place to stay for your trip... I've got a winter share in Frisco. $40/night/head. Less for midweek. Email me if you're interested. I'm also going to post some details about that on another thread here shortly.

thanks for the info!

I've passed your info about the winter share along to my friends.

That's kind of whack. They're opening early so they can say they were the first? A-basin should just start spinning lifts at 4am so they can say they were the first.

That's what Keystone used to do, they would wait til lovey announced, then they would announce that they would open the same day @ 7:00 am under the lights. Lovey has started their lifts @ 8:30 am on weekends and holidays for as long as I can remember, I guess they considerd opening day a holiday of sorts:biggthump

mario