Note to New Members ×

Old boots

Willow 15

Just after some opinions really. I can get hold of some old Burton Wind's brand new in the box, cheap and wonder if its worth it? I am currently using Upz's. Before anyone harps up about buying new gear and keeping present day manufacture's in business, i do, just bought a new SG. Fishing through some old post's there seem's to be a few that like them and wonder how they compare to newer models ie head deeluxe etc. I still have a pair of Northwave Nexus in the garage which I am also going to use this season. Any opinions appreciated.

PS WHEN IS WINTER COMING????!!!!

So I was on the slope one day last winter in disguise as a skier when the guy next to me on the lift tells me that he clipped into his skis, starts to ski away and his boots disintegrate. Literally. The toe piece splits off and he was out of one of his skis lying on the slope in his sock. The discussion was that I heard that ski boots loose their flexabiltiy and get hardened due to ozone and exposure to sunlight, and he states that was what he was told when he took his broken boots in. He had some new Langes. His old boots were about 10 years old.

So, what is the life expectancy of snowboard boots? I would expect them to be about the same as a ski boot. So, are old new stock snowboard boots really worth anything? According to the Carvers Alamanac, Wind's were last produced in 2002. They then would be 6 years old, minimum.

Rick

Just after some opinions really. I can get hold of some old Burton Wind's brand new in the box, cheap and wonder if its worth it? I am currently using Upz's. Before anyone harps up about buying new gear and keeping present day manufacture's in business, i do, just bought a new SG. Fishing through some old post's there seem's to be a few that like them and wonder how they compare to newer models ie head deeluxe etc. I still have a pair of Northwave Nexus in the garage which I am also going to use this season. Any opinions appreciated.

PS WHEN IS WINTER COMING????!!!!

are those the 3 buckle?? size 30??(46.5) Looking for those, or any other super soft boot for BX

really depends on your size and what you want in a boot. Winds are super soft and kind of narrow.

????

stiffer than the AF 700 and stratos pro

I'm convinced people who claimed the wind and fire were soft rode the boot with the springs loose.

that or they were coming from ski boots.

I bent cateks with those boots but yet the same cateks bent my af700s

????

I'm convinced people who claimed the wind and fire were soft rode the boot with the springs loose.

Seeing as I rode in Flexons for 15 odd years... you may be right.

I don't really remember the winds being stiffer than stratos pros, but gotta be 6 years between tries...

????

There was a particular model of winds with a lower last and softer flex that was designed for women riders, I believe these were considerably softer than the standard winds - that may account for the discrepancies in flex. I've personally never been on a pair of winds but I just bought a pair for a friend (off bomber). I've heard that they are somewhat softer than the fires, and stiff, but not super stiff. I think you can also adjust the flex with the springs in the rear.

There was a particular model of winds with a lower last and softer flex that was designed for women riders, I believe these were considerably softer than the standard winds - that may account for the discrepancies in flex. I've personally never been on a pair of winds but I just bought a pair for a friend (off bomber). I've heard that they are somewhat softer than the fires, and stiff, but not super stiff. I think you can also adjust the flex with the springs in the rear.

that was the ice, https://www.klugriding.com/product-view-0s-3c-40i.html and the women's wind https://www.klugriding.com/product-view-0s-3c-42i.html but the women's wind was rare. I never actually saw a pair. even at trade shows or at the burton factory sales.

yes, they were adjustable and it made a huge difference.

If they fit you I think they are a good boot. I've been riding Winds for several years now. I found a set of new ones that were a couple of model years old in my size for around half price. This was probably around the year 2000 or so, and they have had no problems. The liners finally got pretty packed out so I replaced them last year.

The boots have good adjustability. You can adjust forward lean angle and forward and aft spring tension. They have 4 buckles with micro-adusters, and they have a power strap at the top of the boot. You can also adjust the lateral angle of the cuff or leave the adjusters loose for free lateral flex. They are compatible with standard bails, Intec heels, or the Burton Physics system.

As far as stiffness, they seem quite stiff to me. In bumpy conditions or off-piste I release the forward lean mechanism to make them even softer. Last year I replaced the stock liner with ZipFit liners, which are very comfortable and warm, but they made the boot even stiffer, and now I feel like they are actually too stiff for me. Now I am considering a different liner or perhaps a different boot that is softer.

Mine have the translucent blue material for the lower boot shell. I have heard of some durability issues with this material, but mine have held up fine so far.

If the Winds you are looking at have are a size 26.5 and you don't want them, let me know.

Mine look like the ones in this thread:

http://bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21473