Note to New Members ×

MN Snow Report

Scuff

bought buck season pass. might have to buy an afton (kinda depends on the welch thing).

yeah, everyday i think about white cord. when i'm in meetings, my mind sometimes wanders off and i think about being on the hill.

when someone comes to my cube to annoy me, i consciously think about carving, pretend i'm interested, and nod my head.

I bought my Buck pass this week also, and have a season pass to Spirit MTN. Almost every Saturday morning I am on the road by 7 am, get to Spirit by 9 (tail wind ya know:)) and have at it all day. Buck on Sunday, , Tues and Thurs. Last winter I had 50 days on the snow, and I am shooting for more this year.

*If* I buzz anyone into my cube (enhanced IT security), the trail maps of Buck, Spirit, Afton and Lutsen posted on the walls let them know what I am thinking about.

But that is just me.

Rick

Buck has the best price in August, $315. Spirit MTN in March - I was a first time buyer and got March 2008 and all of the 2008-2009 season for $140 something. It is just $50.00 in gas each time I go to Duluth from Maple Grove and back. Not too bad if I pack my own lunch as opposed to the $5.00 sodas and $4.00 cookies (or something like that). And there is a Mac and Don's supper club right by the freeway on the way in and out. WhooHooo!!

Go figure: for Spirit it is about $40.00 for an 8 hour pass, $30.00 for 4 hours. A regular season pass is about $180.00. Why wouldn't you buy a season pass at Spirit if you are going there more than 4 times? I like Spirit for the long(er) runs than anything near the twin cities. Spirit opens at about 9 and is fairly devoid of people until about 11, and then clears out fairly well by 2 or so. Good times.

Rick

this morning i was trying to fix my laptop :angryfire and was passively listening to the tv. it was on kare11. the "whatever" show was on.

sitting there and i glance to the tv and i see this guy talking about snowboarding. i look and the guy was holding a board which looked like an alpine setup. then the camera catches a glimpse of the bindings. definitely alpine. the clip segues to the same guy riding and he was definitely carving. i couldn't tell where he was... i didn't recognize the terrain. he had a white board with rossignol stickers. then the clip ended.

its a sign!

Hey all,

I have been thinking about snow also. Just got a new moto though, so we will see how long I think snow......:eplus2:

You can pretty much count Welch out, for this year at least. I just got my money back for my pass that I bought early last year this last week. If you get a pass and they decide to make a hard rule against us, I would bet against getting your money back.

Let sleeping dogs lie...... Give them a year to cool off. I am going to give them MANY!

I remember one weekend last Feb I was at Aspen at -15, and throughout the day it warmed up to about -8. Had most of the place to myself. The next day I was at Buck and it was -17. First tracks!! I was pretty much the only one on the slope. The lifties looked miserable. I lasted about an hour of that. Came back when it was about -12 that day. Ah, the good times. Toe warmers are great.

Rick

I bought my Buck Hill pass, looking at a GS board, and a few months ago actually picked-up a freestyle board.

Ugh! Winter can't come soon enough!

Bobble: No-WAY! There was a carver on local TV?!

Did some internet sleuthing, and came up with nuthin' but old Kare11 news.

Made four laps longboarding around Nokomis today. It was way too hot.

Rick: Nice! New gear is always exciting!

Are you getting them ground/structured locally?

:) Last season up at Giants Ridge my wife and I were out riding in -18°F with a -42°F windchill.

Two runs > lodge > Two runs > lodge. repeat. Absolutely Beautiful day!!

MUD: *sigh* You got a pocket-bike... didn't you? *sigh*

So....I replaced my 1994 airwalk with a Burton Custom X - which I'm told is just about the carvin'est of the freestyles....

I'm not giving up on Welch so easily, in fact, I'm quite curious to know how the extreme carving style will be

addressed if it should be presented by a baggy pantsed soft-bootin' rider...

Word!

Bobble: No-WAY! There was a carver on local TV?!

Did some internet sleuthing, and came up with nuthin' but old Kare11 news.

Made four laps longboarding around Nokomis today. It was way too hot.

yes. i wish i was paying more attention at the time. it wasn't local news, its the teen show called "whatever". i tried searching the "whatever" show links. there's a video but for some reason it won't launch on my laptop. i think the interview was mainly about freestyle boarding. the guy might've been a coach.

its allergy season for me. have not been out much on the longboard. went and saw "tropic thunder" last night. a couple times i was laughing so damn hard i was wheezing and coughing.

I tried searching the "whatever" show links. there's a video but for some reason it won't launch on my laptop. i think the interview was mainly about freestyle boarding.

Yeah, it was an old freestyle event - somebody didn't embed the video file correctly on their site -

here's the link: Extreme Teens

The two kids who won were both G-Team-ers ;)

MUD: *sigh* You got a pocket-bike... didn't you? *sigh*

So....I replaced my 1994 airwalk with a Burton Custom X - which I'm told is just about the carvin'est of the freestyles....

I'm not giving up on Welch so easily, in fact, I'm quite curious to know how the extreme carving style will be

addressed if it should be presented by a baggy pantsed soft-bootin' rider...

Word!

No, not a pocket bike, I'll get a pic up in a little while.

As far as Welch is concerned. Right now we don't have any friends down there. I think what unfolded last spring did not help our cause at all (nasty emails and such). In small amounts I think it will be ok. BUT, riding every Wednesday, all day, with at least three of us is a thing of the past.

I talked on the phone with them about a week ago and asked if I should come down for my refund. They said "I don't think that is a good idea, we will send it in the mail"........ Read it as you like.

MN Snow Report for Aug 31th 2008:

0 Runs Open

0" Base

0" New Snow

went down to nokomis. according to the trail map, its 2.78 miles. i went twice around. i started at the south end near cedar ave. went clockwise and wind was helping. i covered alot of distance just pumping. got to the other side and it was slow going. went counter clockwise and it was about the same.

kinda freaky seeing those planes come in overhead.

Go figure: for Spirit it is about $40.00 for an 8 hour pass, $30.00 for 4 hours. A regular season pass is about $180.00. Why wouldn't you buy a season pass at Spirit if you are going there more than 4 times? I like Spirit for the long(er) runs than anything near the twin cities. Spirit opens at about 9 and is fairly devoid of people until about 11, and then clears out fairly well by 2 or so. Good times.

Rick - Over half of the Spirit Season Passes are bought by folks with Twin Cities zip codes, so a lot of folks have come to the same conclusion as you....

Hope to see you on the hill some time this winter - I'll be the (only) ski patroller with a carving set up. :)

Russ

• 3 weeks later...

MN Snow Report for Sep 26th 2008:

0 Runs Open

0" Base

0" New Snow

went to check out the ski swap and to get a closer look at the magic carpet.

place was absolutely crowded! i had to make myself thin to pass through the crowd. under the tent there were alot of skis. maybe my memory is bad but it seems like there were slightly less snowboards this year. i didn't see anything i'd want. no alpine board sitings.

i like how they routed the magic carpet between two trees.

Went to the swap meet today: it looked like the clearance for the Zombie Board Shop. There were a ****-pot of various shops employees milling about, nothing really good relating to snowboards and carving. I saw one board I wanted just based on the graphics. It cost too much for the 5 times I would ride it.

In other news: they have replaced all the concrete sidewalks!!! WhoooooHooooooo!!

48 days until estimated opening!

Rick