Note to New Members ×

Need Glove Advice

GavinB

Dakine Cobra GT's here and they've lasted three seasons for me before they tore in one spot on the palms.

I'll sew it back and try the Tool Dip on them for next season. Still have life left and they are plenty warm. Not to mention they are "lower profile" than most gloves which is a big plus for me. I can actually use my hands for things if needed...

I go through at least 3 pairs of gloves/mits (and at least one pair of snow pants) every season. Eventually I gave up on buying expensive stuff... Some do seem a bit better then others, though. I also have a pair of Heads, they look strong but a bit too warm, still have to try them. Kombis are strong, but somehow too hot in warm weather and too cold in cold?!

I prefer mits to glowes. Warmer, easier to put on when moist inside, less stiches/seams to brake.

Removable liner is the way to go.

Wearing XL wrist guards on top of the gloves helps with palm protection.

Placing your whole glove in tool dip will result in a ham-fisted version of Franken-glove.:nono:

Spread this stuff with a popsicle stick in the high wear areas of your gloves or mittens- repeat as necessary throughout the season.

That is all.

You could go the route of Blueb and Dave* and buy replacable snowpants and gloves every season, or buy really bomber stuff and have it repaired as it wears out.

I tend to go the latter route- that's why it's equally important for me to be comfortable with the repair and warranty programs of clothing that I buy. So far Patagonia, Arcteryx and marmot have all stood behind their stuff when it came to warranties.

Of course, I also use a local gear repair outfit for customization and repairs. I have even dug out the wife's sewing machine this Spring to DIY some stuff too. Now I just need to source a seam-sealing machine locally and I'm GTG.

Dave* is a big fan of cold weather motorcycle gloves. They are built much burlier than the average snow sport glove, most come with the pre curve built into the fingers already,

I also like if possible leather on the high wear areas, what is given up in waterproofing is made up for in abrasion resistance and ease of repair.

My favorites are sadly no longer made , the Icon "patrol" glove , outer was a mix of leather and schoeller material with kevlar stiching, has a removable fleece liner. lots of knuckle armour. Mine have lasted about four seasons with lots of shoegoo and various P-tex palm sliders attached. I plan on getting another season out of them. Should have bought ten sets.

Currently breaking in some Teknic gloves , before hitting the hill I p-texed the palms and shoegooed some extra 5mm thick cowhide over my left drag knuckles, they work well, not a removeale liner however.

Have some Marmot ( model unknown ) schoeller/leather/armour knuckles that are holding up well.

Experimented with some firemans extraction gloves (Ringers brand ) schoeller outer, BBF proof, and kevlar stitching and patches, they show promise I should have gotten bigger size to allow a thicker fleece liner that I later added. They work great for spring warmer weather riding,

In true monsoon rain conditions encountered here in the PNW nothing beats the old neoprene work gloves.

My normal habit is to carry a couple sets of gloves to the hill and switch out if necessary at lunch time.

If into the shoe goo / ptex mods do it when the gloves are brand new before any waterproofing treatments etc get put on , you will get much better bonding.

I thought I had the magic solution this year with spray on truck bed liner for wear points on pants/jackets /gloves, sadly too brittle and flakes off with the amount of bending in the fabric/leather, also it didnt wear near as well as a ptex patch on the gloves.

Dave*

Dave, as I mentioned in my last post, tool dip is the wonder material. You can use it on your clothes too. It will peel off after a bit, but re-application is easy. You can get it at Home Depot. It works better and is much neater than shoe goo.

yep. Used them last season. They are burly. They had EVERYTHING I was looking for a in glove. Removable wrist guards, removable leash, wrist cinch strap, zip ventilation and/or pocket for a hot pouch, although I would not see where you would need them as they are very toasty. soft thumb for nose wipe and a goggle squeegee. It's the total package as far as I'm concerned. How long they last remains to be seen as I've only used them one season but I used them for hauling wood, tools, and other work around the property and they held up great.

They are a bit pricey at $130. I was able to get them for around $70 I think. Are there better gloves out there? Maybe, but I looked at quite a few different one's and for snowboarding where hands are dragging or grabbing I couldn't find anything better in all my searches.

The Beast....goes w/o saying.

Hey Carp

I tried to send you a message (re the gloves) but it was returned to me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RCPT TO generated following response:

550 Invalid recipient <johnc@sbc.com> (#5.1.1)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Please let me know when you have corrected your address on the forum ..... or send it to me.

Thanks

Gavin