Note to New Members ×

Sad day... lost my dog :(

AccidentalChef

Technically, my mom's dog, I guess. We got him when I was 13, so I still consider him mine. His name was Dante, he was an Italian Spinone. He was the best dog I've ever known, even if I am a bit biased. He stopped eating and drinking two days ago, and my mom had to have him put to sleep today. It's pretty tough for me, so I can't even imagine what my mom is going through.

On the plus side, we know he lived a good life. He was loved, not just by my family, but by everyone who knew him. His groomers liked him so much, they'd offer to take care of him for free when my mom was out of town. The average life expectancy for a Spinone is 8.7 years, and next month would have been his 15th birthday. I know I should be happy for all the time we had with him, but it still feels like losing a friend.

Thanks for the support guys. Kind of amazing how these guys truly become part of the family. Even if you don't live with them for years, losing them hits you pretty hard. I'm glad my mom has another dog and a cat to cheer her up a bit, or I'd really be worried how she'd deal with it.

Sorry to read about the loss of your dog ....

I don't have a dog anymore ..

but have a pretty big Dog Walking Company in the Los Angeles area ...

www.thedogwalker.org

(but hoping to move to Hood River in September this year and hopefully keep the business going in LA)

We take a lot of dogs hiking in the mountains every day.

Have been doing that for almost nine years now ..

so many of the dogs that started with me back then ...

are getting really old now and dying from old age or tumors etc. Rather sad.... and hard to see their moms and dads so upset.

BUT ... the best thing seems to be to get a new puppy !

SO .... if you are looking at new doggie ...

take a moment and look at a FRENCH BULL DOG !!!

That is my favorite recommendation right now ..

Which does change from time to time..... From Dobermans, to Rottweilers, to Australian Shepards etc and now FRENCH BULL DOGS !!!

I had to leave my Doberman in South African when I came here .... I was DEVASTATED !!!

Hang in there .....

Gavin

www.thedogwalker.org

A new puppy definitely doesn't replace the loss. I'll always miss her.

I would have to recommend anyone that is looking to get a new dog PLEASE PLEASE consider adopting one from the shelter. They are so awesome and in dire need of homes. I'd hate to know that a super sweet mutt puppy had to have his life ended just because someone wanted a purebred. :( I'd adopt them all if I could!

I live near a family that is part of the Blue Heeler rescue in Colorado. I hadn't planned on another dog after I lost mine to bone cancer a few years back, but things changed quickly when I met Riley. She came to the rescue house from an extremely abusive situation... beaten, locked in a closet for days at a time, and malnourished to the point of blindness. She is nine years old and I've had her for a almost two years now. It took some time for her to come around and a trip to the vet to pull a rotten tooth (seriously.. she was sooo stoked to have that thing pulled), but now she is happy and healthy as can be... her vision even fully returned after some time on a healthy diet.

An internet search will turn up several rescue programs by state and breed with pics and info on the dogs.

I'm in the same camp with Michelle on this one... I'd take them all if I could.

Riley-1.jpg

Tell me that dog isn't smilling...

Quote:

I'm in the same camp with Michelle on this one... I'd take them all if I could...

Yup, sounds just like Gretchen. She volunteers for Solano County Friends of Animals which is a no-kill organization. I'm always under pressure for a greyhound. We really just don't have a good yard for it. As weird as it sounds, our yard is damn near impossible to fence. Also, I like the freedom just having cats gives us. Well, that is, when it's not kitten season. We're up to our ears with foster kitties right now. The endless parade of little freeloaders will run most of the summer with Gretchen down at the farmers market every week trying to adopt them out. So far, knock on wood, we've been able to find a home for them all. Sort of cool having a constant supply of kittens but not ending up with a bunch of adult cats.

Stan, you need to get Riley to the vet. She's looking pretty stressed!