Note to New Members ×

Achillies tendonitis...

Bullwings

Maybe i'm a moron, or i'm out of shape, or my gear is wrong, or my technique is wrong, or my grammar really sucks, but I think I might have given myself tendonitis in my achillies.

I recently swapped out the wheels from my vanguard and put some 85mm 75a speedvents on it. It's a nice super grippy wheel. Anyway, I spent a lot of time last week carving a hill and skating back up hill. The following day, the achillies of my pushing foot was super sore and has been for about a week now.

Do you guys know of any quick remedies other than rest? It's killing me - I can't do any of the activities i like to do like going to the gym, longboarding, driving my car (heel-toe shifting is pretty painful now), etc. etc.

Try learning how to push with either foot. Feels really awkward at first, but it doesn't take that long to get it down (easier than riding switch IMO). It's a great skill if you want to use skating as part of a conditioning routine.

BW:

I've got the same thing going on with one of my ankles. I stand on my feet 12-14 hours a day sometimes and I really need to get some orthotics from a podiatrist. Until I get some orthotics in my shoes, I'm using just some El Cheapo gel heel cups from Wal-World in my skate shoes and in my work shoes I've got the Dr. Scholls arch support going on.

I've found that if I support my arch (I have a high arch) the discomfort from the plantar fascitis (sp?) is minimized. Keep your laces tight so that your foot is properly supported. Don't be afraid to get some high-tops (Nike has some nice models) for a little bit more support. I second the Hot Ice. Does a great job.

Don't wear sandals on the weekends and around the house. Keep your feet supported anytime you are standing around. It will pay off for your skating and your carving next season.

Mark

thanks for the advice all. looks like i'll go buy the BIG bottle of advil since now i'll have use for it in both the winter and the summer...

as for pushing with my other foot... I don't think I have that kind of coordination built into my genes.

• 4 weeks later...
Try learning how to push with either foot. Feels really awkward at first, but it doesn't take that long to get it down (easier than riding switch IMO). It's a great skill if you want to use skating as part of a conditioning routine.

+1

I try to skate at least 4-5 days a week and twice a week I skate 20 miles home from work which is lots of rolling hills for the most part but enough that if I only push with my left foot (I'm naturally regular mongo) my left quad would be huge. There is of course the other issues of foot braking and balance also play into it. I had to learn to push normal in order to skate tight parks and slalom starts

• 2 weeks later...