Note to New Members ×

Dual Sport-Here's your chane to enlighten me!

RDY_2_Carve

What the WTF?

Is that converted?

Do you mean did someone convert it to be road legal? YES

XR400R's have never been officially road legal. I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer did it though.

By the way. XR400's are GREAT bikes! Easy to ride and absolutely bombproof!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah that's what I meant...converted to street legal.

Hrmm perhaps I'll go check this one out then. It's much cheaper than new for sure. That WR250R is $6k...

It seems the Honda's that end in L are the dual sports, and the R's aren't, so this one jumped out at me. I'll have to email the guy and ensure it's street legal.

I didn't see any tags in the pictures so how will I know if it's in fact street legal or not in my state?

It seems the Honda's that end in L are the dual sports, and the R's aren't, so this one jumped out at me. I'll have to email the guy and ensure it's street legal.

I didn't see any tags in the pictures so how will I know if it's in fact street legal or not in my state?

Yup, you are right about the L / R thing. and the L's are alot different than the R's. R's are much more fun.:D

Make sure he has a valid title and a plate. That is about it. If it is titled for another state, check with yours to see if changing it over is an issue.

As far as I know California is the only one that really scrutinizes title transfers from other states. But better safe than sorry.

more random footage.

MotoGP race is on this afternoon at 4 on speedvision.

sorry, won't embed but some crazy footage in China & Portugal

Lorenzo

ouch !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE5Pt0DpUHc&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE5Pt0DpUHc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to take a cheaper alternative to buying anything new and I've went with this:

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/689173892.html

ktm450excev9.jpg

Somewhat of a Frankenstein bike, but lots of extras that I don't have to buy which really pays off. It looks well used but the guy just upgraded to a new Katoom 450 SX so this one had to go. Super nice guy on the phone from the Springs...

I didn't haggle much as he's meeting me 1/2 way tomorrow morning. That's 6 hours round trip for the both of us so I thought that was worth a hundy or so. He also had more extras not mentioned on his ad like spare radiators and such. Big bonus for me as I'm sure this beast will go down a few times in the near future! ;)

He's throwing in the normal clutch too and is going to show me how easy it is to swap it back to normal operation. He currently has the auto clutch installed with a rear brake in place of the clutch lever. He said the foot rear brake still works in addition to the hand lever. Sounds interesting anyways and who knows maybe I'll like it...but it'll be hard to get used to after 10 years of street riding with a normal clutch/brake.

I got some extra cash to splurge on some good protective gear. I'm going to splurge on that for sure!

My first dirtbike so I'll keep you guys posted. I'll try to snap some better pics too if anybody is interested.

Peace

don't believe the hype on the triumph scrambler - no matter what they say it's not a dual-purpose.

(I have a bonneville - same engine. you'll spend more time fixing than riding if you bang it around.)

About the only person that would disagree with you, rest his soul, is Evel Kinevel. He did more jumps on Triumphs than Harleys.

• 2 months later...

Sold my Frankenbike. I actually sold it for $800 more than I bought it for so I came out $300 ahead counting all the gas to pick it up, registration, speedo, new tires, etc.

Out with the old, in with the new:

07525excxp7.jpg

Heading up to Silverton on Sunday to pick up this one. The guy is coming down from Grand Junction to meet me.

Very, Very Stoked!

Less than 300 miles. It has a GPR stabilizer, Acerbis Bark Busters, and FMF Slip on. Just need a skid plate and some other protectors and I'll be ready to rock!

I'll post more pics after I pick it up if anybody is interested.

About the only person that would disagree with you, rest his soul, is Evel Kinevel. He did more jumps on Triumphs than Harleys.

Your lack of reading comprehension never ceases to amaze me.

I am referring SPECIFCALLY to a Triumph Scrambler, a modern bike marketed by Triumph as some kind of on/off road bike. This has NOTHING to do with the bikes Knievel was jumping. Different company alltogether since Bloor re-opened the marque in '90. Old Triumphs, while they had their quirks, were able to take much more abuse than the modern ones.

Your lack of reading comprehension never ceases to amaze me.

I am referring SPECIFCALLY to a Triumph Scrambler, a modern bike marketed by Triumph as some kind of on/off road bike. This has NOTHING to do with the bikes Knievel was jumping. Different company alltogether since Bloor re-opened the marque in '90. Old Triumphs, while they had their quirks, were able to take much more abuse than the modern ones.

man, I'd love to have one of the triumphs from the 60s or early 70s, very partial to the looks of the bikes.

the scrambler of today is basically trying to emulate what HD does with their cruisers and sell bike that looks like it's from 1965 with some modest improvements.

certainly no dual sport to me, this says dual sport to me http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/595/0/home.aspx

actually might be giving my klx to my GF and may dual sport a WR 426 so long as the title is no trouble.

triumph_3ta_1966.jpg