Note to New Members ×

Reasonable Digital SLR Camera

Chubz

While I know, there are some amazing cameras out there for shooting, just looking for some input on digital SLR's under $700 or so. I have done some reading on the Canon 40D, but looking to get back into shooting, from action activities to landscapes to family, etc. Looking to possibly throw a decent all around telephoto on it as well.

check out the new mucho-expensive Sigma compact that uses the huge 14MP full RGB chip of their new, super-expensive SLR.

Near-SLR versatility, superb image quality, big zoom range, and portability in one easy-to-access package.

Yummy!

I'm correcting myself here. The Sigma DP1 camera does indeed have the fabulous Foveon image sensor, but it also has a fixed, 28mm equivalent lens. That said, it takes ferociously great pics up through ASA 400 and is no slouch at 800.

But at $800 street with a fixed lens, it's a real niche camera.

Guest Sensei

I have the Canon Digital Rebel XTi EOS Digital SLR Camera. I couldn't be happier. The trick of it is, you will need to spend some money on good memory cards. Don't go cheap on them or you'll be sorry, especially if you expect to take action rapid shots. The computer interface Canon developed is excellent. I can post some shots I took when I get home and light up my continent-destroying laptop.

I dont know why, but "my continent destroying laptop" mad eme openly laugh even though I dont know what it means. What does it mean?

I doubt my wife will let me get a new camera, but I want to at least start my research in the event she gives me the green light. thanks for the input.

Guest Sensei

Chubz,

This is referring to an ASUS g1s that I modified myself. I had to put a few goodies in it. Ask Fin. He got 3rd degree burns on one of his hands because he wasn't wearing the proper protective gear when he should have been. He got a wee bit too close.

I'm almost afraid to use it to its full capacity because it might turn on me and kill me in my sleep.

Bargain Entry level...I would go with a Nikon D40 kit or this D60 kit isn't a bad option either. Sadly it's really hard to buy an entry level camera body only and match it with the lens of your choice...my choice for an all in wonder lense would be a Nikon or Sigma 18-200mm

but I am more likely to end up witha Nikon 18-135mm because they were the kit lens for the D300 and everyone is dumping them cheap. For most of my regular shooting at present I use the 18-70mm that came with my D70... it travels well and is light which means that I am more likely to bring my camera. I refuse to carry a big camera bag anymore

You can't really go wrong. I would start with the cheapest SLR with an upgrade path (ie Canon or Nikon) which you like the handling of, and use the kit lens. That will get you going. If your total budget is $700 you can't afford the better glass anyway, and you can always ebay the lens later should you upgrade. I'd buy only fairly new model cameras at the moment, as they're still getting cheaper and better all the time. Lenses are a longer term investment still, which is why it's important to pick a brand you're prepared to stick with.

If you're fussy then for Canon you could always get the 50mm f/1.8 which is about $70, although you would likely want something wider especially if you buy a partial-frame camera.

I'd be a bit wary of very-wide range zooms.

Gecko

Send me an email if you could. I have some questions on cameras and any east coast DH races for this summer.

any idea if there is going to be a Maryhill 2008? I keep searching but find nothing. considering competing in it this year.

Greg

With an SLR, it's all about the lenses. You're gonna want to build a quiver. This is why I went the Pentax route. With the Pentax DSLRs, you can use any Pentax lens with a K mount. That means you have a choice of thousands of used and new lenses.

The Pentax is also a bit cheaper than comparable Nikons and Canons.

A number of years ago I bought my wife the non digital Rebel and got a nice telescopic lens with it. I looked into the Digital Rebel a while back and the salesman said the lens would fit it but I really should buy an additional lens that would be better suited to the camera. I always wondered if he was just trying to sell me something I didn't need.

I'm on my fourth or fifth digital camera but still haven't taken the plunge for a DSLR. Guess I'm waiting for an economic turnaround...

that really depends on the lens you have...a standard film camera kit lens was 28mm at the low end which for a digital camera equates to about 45mm on a film camera....in other words a normal lens not wide angle. Digital kit lenses are usually 18mm to something larger, 55mm, 70mm, 85mm etc

You folks have any summary tech sheets that breakout the "spec" stuff you are talking about? Or even a website, i.e. camera/photo 101/201?

I use to shoot all the time with my dad's Canon AE-1, but just shoot and never learned all the tech stuff, lighting, etc.

i've been using Nikon for many years (both SLR and DSLR), so that's what i know & would recommend.

one point (already metioned), which I would stress, is the importance of LENSES - they will out-last your camera body by a long stretch. so think about which kind of "lens system" you're buying into, rather than looking at the camera body only. For me, Nikon had the lenses i wanted so that's the choice i made - ymmv.

With respect to Nikon cameras, the above point means the following: a lot of good, older Nikon lenses use the "screwdriver focus" mechanism - which is not supported in the D40 & D60. So if there are some particular (older) lenses you'd want, you will have the skip these & get something like the D80 (which supports screwdriver focus). Also. the D80 tends to feel more comfortable for people with larger hands - in case that applies to you.

For general allround shooting, though, most of the "new" lenses are perfectly fine & should be more than happy with the D40. (Personally, i somehow have little love for the D60).

I had a friend exactly in your position 2 weeks ago, and given the above advice, he decided the D80 was more suitable & comfortable for him. for what it's worth, he's very happy with it so far (after 1 week of heavy use).

if you'd have any more specific questions, let me know (email/pm is ok), & i'll try to help out.

Best wishes,

Daniel