Note to New Members ×

Best way to fix dry base?

newcarver

What is the best and/or easiest way to fix a dry base? Looks like these have been sitting around in garage for a while. What wax would be best for summer storage to rejuvinate them? Just got a set of Line ski blades to use to teach my little girl how to ski next season. These have some real nice aluminum, non-releasing bindings. Look similar to TDs!

The best way would be to put a coat of wax (normal universal) on and stick it in a hotbox for a day or two. If you don't have a hotbox, or access to one...........

The second best way would be to iron the wax in for a long time, especially along the edges. The trick is to have your iron at just the right temp for this. If you have it too hot you could potentially melt your base, and too cool, the wax won't properly liquify and work it's way into the tiny spaces in the base not seen with the naked eye. You want to have the actual board warm enough that the topsheet feels warm to the touch. If the wax on your iron starts smoking, it's too hot.

Also some people swear by the wax whizzard, but from what if read it's more of a maintenance tool not a means of getting a lot of wax into a dry base. Someone want to chime in?

hope this helps,

Dave R.

What is the best and/or easiest way to fix a dry base? Looks like these have been sitting around in garage for a while. What wax would be best for summer storage to rejuvinate them? Just got a set of Line ski blades to use to teach my little girl how to ski next season. These have some real nice aluminum, non-releasing bindings. Look similar to TDs!

they might be td1s

I'd get a grind then wax it with dominator renew zoom

all my boards get renew zoom for summer storage and it work very well

skis, boards, all get the same treatment.

light oil mist on moving parts of the bindings.

and then wax the whole thing top and bottom with Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax. let it dry for 10 minutes and buff with soft dry cloth.

Come to think of it since I found this trick from an 80 year old ex ski instructor/cabinet maker, that is my normal every other day winter wax system too. In good snow you can go for 5 days. In crusty cut your hands spring ice crystals wax every day.

Fast and easy.:biggthump

GWS

as to the skiboards, if your daughter is less than 5' tall, you may want to rethink non releasers, depending on the lengths of the lines.... think most of em were 90 cm or longer, which at less than 5' is a recipe for busted legs

the bindings on the boards are likely line ffpros or ff aluminums, which were made by catek. phiokka, groove and snowjam also made/make aluminum bindings, and bomber makes a set that skiboarders love.

If your daughter is less than the recommended height, try revel8 for boards, they have some very nice ones called bantams that are kid sized that you can use the same bindings with

www.skiboardsonline.com

hot boxing, after a couple times playing with it I think it's not any more effective than a couple applications of renew zoom with a iron

could of been the box (more like a shiny padded bag) or it could of been what I suspect and that wax just does not penetrate that deep into the base and if you know how to work a iron a hot box is just overkill

with a fresh grind I do a few coats of renew zoom and then I do whatever wax I'm gonna use the day I ride.

there's so much wax mythology that I always thought was bull**** and after talking with Thanos the guy that runs dominator much of what I kind of suspected was true according to them.

You know, like when people tell you you can't mix two different brands of wax and so on and so forth most of it is just crap.

gburgess also took notes as well so he should be able to tell you quite a bit.

My understanding is that HE will be on the skiblades? Definitelly releasable bindings for the kid.

Just wax thick, work it in well with the iron. Later, when you ride them, and they become dry quickly, wax again. Eventually they'll saturate.

Thanks for all the input. And yes, I am going to be using the skis. Not my little one. Sorry for the confusion. I'll probably get her on some standard 80cm skis. Hope to find some at a swap meet. Yes, the hard SB boots will work with most of the non release bindings. That is the reason that I wanted them so I can ride with little one and then switch to board with same boots:biggthump