Note to New Members ×

OT - How long have owned your car

C5 Golfer

Speed Demon, just this past weekend on sunday, i had a 2 hour drive back to school, on the way i witnessed a motorcycler get hit by a car, he ended up in the middle of the road and his bike was like 30 yards off into the woods. But that was when i first started, later on the expressway i drove by the scene of another motorcycle accident, not sure what happened there, but i know there were 2 people on the bike, so if you decide on a bike, be carefull, they don't offer quite as much protection as a car would.

2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 - Have had for 10 months and 15,000 miles. Love this truck, my dream vehicle! Wife drives a 2000 Saturn LW2 Wagon with 45,000 miles. Really like this one, too. I really should drive it to work more often to save on gas.

We've also had...

1998 Dodge Dakota Club Cab (Also nice, but tough to squeeze a car seat in the back. The 5.2 had a nice rumble that I miss with the newer 4.7 OHC.)

1995 Toyota Camry Wagon (Total Garbage.)

1993 Toyota Pickup (Fun little truck, but underpowered. aka; "The Gutless Wonder".)

1992 Geo Prism (Don't look at me. It was my wife's first new car while we were still dating. Ran great though, no troubles.)

1988 Toyota Celica GT (Fast bugger, but very problematic.)

1980 Toyota Celica GT (Owned it through 4 years of college with no engine trouble. Still ran great when I sold it with 240,000 miles.)

Found it interesting that every one of the Toyota's (with the exception of the 1980) blew head gaskets.

1991 BMW 325iX, bought in 1995 (I think?) with 66k, now has a little over 150k miles on it.

Every spring I think about lowering it, every winter I think lowering would be a bad idea. It would be fun though... and I'm getting that itch again...

Daily driver: 1985 Honda CRX 180,000 drive it like the go cart it is.

Summer car: 1979 10th Anniversary Pontiac Trans AM with a 1970 455 HO motor. With out the bore on the pontiac (it really is a 462) the 7.5 litre engine is exactly 5 times bigger than the 1.5 litre in the CRX. :) The CRX has 75 hp the TA has 465+ hp. No replacement for displacement.

I had a 87 honda prelude that I ran for 275,000 miles I ended up hydro locking it. I t ran 270,000 of those miles on the original clutch... had 75 vw scirocco and a 1985 dodge glh that was a fun car raced that one for a while roll bar lowered sways spring shocks

now a 97 prelude with 142,000 this one has a roll bar, adj. rear sway, lightened fly wheeland clutch, strut bars, Aem intake, apexi Vafc, new motor mounts. 17 x 8 SSR's fast and fun

Bike a Ducati 851 that is finally running correctly

2004 Toyota Sienna Minivan - 2 weeks old - 600 miles. I know you are thinking "Soccer Mom - I mean - Dad". Not quite. I just had my first child last week. (Most exciting time of my life!) This is a family vehicle, but I wanted it because I can fit 8 bikes and 8 passengers - it's April, and off to the MTB race we go...

Someone else was talking about their Audi. I own a '99 A6 Avant Quattro. What a POS. Something going wrong with it every frickin' week. Little naggy crap like a 15 cent window guide breaking. 15 cent part, $350 labour.

When the Audi pisses me off, I jump into my '88 Porsche 911 cabriolet that is more reliable than a hammer or my '89 BMW 325iX that is the best, most practical car I have ever owned.

Every alpine snowboarder should own a 325iX like me and Nate. It is the official car of winter.

'98 Dodge Durango 4x4, bought new in May '98, 77000 miles. I've had the brake pads replaced all around and calpiers and rotors on the front (mountain driving will do that), but that's it. Oh wait - a windshield washer nozzle - $2 part, $60 labor (coulda done that myself if I was willing to miss a pow day).

That thing has treated me very, very well in deep snow and on ice. During the winter, I use studs on all four wheels (The state of Oregon can stop bitching - if they could get a plow out before 8 am, I wouldn't use studs, and it rarely goes anywhere but the mountain in winter). I've pulled a few other cars out of the snowbanks in that thing. I will keep driving that thing until I bury it.

Also an '02 Nissan Maxima, new in October '01, 24000 miles. Horsepower for the masses indeed!

Both cars are shared with the misses... we don't have a "his car, her car" thing, whoever's going riding that day gets the Durango... otherwise, whoever's going more miles gets the Maxima.

Just a Honda Accord, 1997, cheapest model. With my previous tires, I managed to get through almost three feet of snow in this thing without problems. Now I've got Hakkepelita (sp? ) NRW' s, but where's the snow?

It's got 128,000 miles on it, a few quirks but runs great. A few months ago the front axle broke, and the left wheel was lying on the ground along with some other stuff. I remember when I cracked it going over a curb... whoops. Didn't have much choice...

Next car, Tacoma. A couple of years ago I was at A-Basin after a big snow, the very upper parking lot was almost full but I got one of the last spots. Later I noticed a slightly jacked-up Tacoma just sitting on TOP of the 5 foot snowbank... and have wanted one ever since.