Note to New Members ×

Burton Factory Burns Down

RJ-PS

I know there's no love lost between most of the riders on this site and Burton, but you gotta be sad to see this happen.

http://salzburg.orf.at/stories/265156/

My German is not as good as it used to be, but basically there was a lot of damage and estimates could be as much as 1MillionEuro. That equates to about a half billion dollars with our current exchange rate. :angryfire

I still don't like the fact that Burton is considered the "B" word on this forum and I think anyone that puts it down is pretty small. (Hello, where would we all be without Jake?) Funny how not just boots and bindings are snatched up, but I thought after SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much advice from this forum I could obtain an Alp for under a hundred bucks, but it seems the "big quiver" guys had to add it to their collection. Not that they'd ever ride it. I've bid all season long trying to get a "first", but NOOOO. Don't get me wrong, there are so many people on here that have been very helpful and I've become to love a lot of you guys, but come on. Let a new carver get that first board. I know I'm right in saying this. There are some of you who buy just to "buy". Yeah, I put up the "yearly income poll" and I openly admited to being at the bottom. Please. If you bash Burton don't buy just for nostalgia, let people get into it for a reasonable price. I'm sick to death of hearing... "don't pay more than 100 for a burton", then someone here picks it up for 150 just to make a bench out of it. I was bidding on a Coil a while back and the seller told me not to bid more that 80 bucks. I ended up bidding 120 and still lost. I don't have a carving board and still don't. Am I better off? Anyone got a Prior or Donek for sale for a hundred bucks? I don't think so. So please, get off your high horses and let someone get a burton to get started.

That was called the "Vision hip sack" (I had the punk skulls in black and drab green) back in the day. I also had a G&S with additional pouches. That of course was when I wore a "Pop Swatch" over my gloves so I could tell how long I'd been out on the slope.

...Let a new carver get that first board. I know I'm right in saying this. There are some of you who buy just to "buy". Yeah, I put up the "yearly income poll" and I openly admited to being at the bottom. Please. If you bash Burton don't buy just for nostalgia, let people get into it for a reasonable price. I'm sick to death of hearing... "don't pay more than 100 for a burton", then someone here picks it up for 150 just to make a bench out of it. I was bidding on a Coil a while back and the seller told me not to bid more that 80 bucks. I ended up bidding 120 and still lost. I don't have a carving board and still don't. Am I better off? Anyone got a Prior or Donek for sale for a hundred bucks? I don't think so. So please, get off your high horses and let someone get a burton to get started.

I was going to wait until December to sell a bunch of my boards. Someone did the research and found that the prices for used boards peaked in Dec. and tanked in March.

Instead, I'll sell you my Burton Alp 171 now for $100 delivered. It's got the standard scuffs and marks. And the very last insert on the back insert pack is all jacked-up. This "fire sale" deal is only good for Photodad. Unless someone else offers me $150:D

I was going to wait until December to sell a bunch of my boards. Someone did the research and found that the prices for used boards peaked in Dec. and tanked in March.

Instead, I'll sell you my Burton Alp 171 now for $100 delivered. It's got the standard scuffs and marks. And the very last insert on the back insert pack is all jacked-up. This "fire sale" deal is only good for Photodad. Unless someone else offers me $150:D

Done deal. I wouldn't be using the back certs anyway. It's not a goofy acym is it?

I still don't like the fact that Burton is considered the "B" word on this forum and I think anyone that puts it down is pretty small. (Hello, where would we all be without Jake?) Funny how not just boots and bindings are snatched up, but I thought after SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much advice from this forum I could obtain an Alp for under a hundred bucks, but it seems the "big quiver" guys had to add it to their collection. Not that they'd ever ride it. I've bid all season long trying to get a "first", but NOOOO. Don't get me wrong, there are so many people on here that have been very helpful and I've become to love a lot of you guys, but come on. Let a new carver get that first board. I know I'm right in saying this. There are some of you who buy just to "buy". Yeah, I put up the "yearly income poll" and I openly admited to being at the bottom. Please. If you bash Burton don't buy just for nostalgia, let people get into it for a reasonable price. I'm sick to death of hearing... "don't pay more than 100 for a burton", then someone here picks it up for 150 just to make a bench out of it. I was bidding on a Coil a while back and the seller told me not to bid more that 80 bucks. I ended up bidding 120 and still lost. I don't have a carving board and still don't. Am I better off? Anyone got a Prior or Donek for sale for a hundred bucks? I don't think so. So please, get off your high horses and let someone get a burton to get started.

Hmmm.....seems I had an Alp up for way less than 100 bucks a few months ago. You did not seem to care since there were no bids on it. The complaints people have about Burton here lie solely in the fact that Mr. Jake has focused on the blingy/poser side of snowboarding and has abandoned the rider element. As for freestyle boards, most serious jibbers go elsewhere for technology-like Arbors, a brand started by designers chased off by the Burton mass marketing machine. The soft booting freeriders swoon over Lib-Tech's Magne-traction, or Never Summer's heavy but supremely damp series. I lurk on the Burton's site, too, and believe me, there's not a lot of love for Burton over there, either. I won't even go into the fact that Burton's high end boards are off the scale in terms of price now and you can get similar equipment for a lot less with other manufacturers-the high tech boards they have, that is. I went and looked at the specs for the current Feelgood ES-the board I broke my ankle on, BTW. They're identical to the board I got 4 years ago.

As for being our savior, snowboarding was a bicoastal development and the left coast had their own pioneers, like Tom Sims.

Sorry to vent, but I hate on Burton for a reason, despite the fact I freely admit to owning 3 of their boards

maybe if burton had stuck it out and CONTINUED making alpine geAR, we'd feel differently.Jake and his boys club kicked alpine to the curb like a wife that got fat and ugly but still loves her husband.

I run raceplates, I have a pair of Burton race boots but haven't owned a Burton board since my PJ waaay back in the day. Still have a beater T Sims 169 tho.

I've demo'd a bunch of burton race sleds. Even destroyed a sidewall in the woods at Stowe.

support Coiler , support Donek, support Prior, etc etc

Burton can suck an egg:barf:

my new burton motorola tantrum audex helmet with blue tooth is kinda cool tho:rolleyes:another steep and cheap score !

how tall was your supermodel matt ? 181 ? flappy nose ?

crazy tom loves his canyon 181 with physics on it but hasn't ridden a real sled yet. Then he'll realize what a dawg the canyon is.

got me some burton gloves on SAC for $20 shipped a month ago.

thats so sad, whats going to happen to the fashion- i mean snowboard industry if burton shuts down for a while?:confused:

seriously, i dig their outerwear (it looks the best) but i dont think ill be riding their boards again anytime soon:sleep:

thats so sad, whats going to happen to the fashion- i mean snowboard industry if burton shuts down for a while?:confused:

seriously, i dig their outerwear (it looks the best) but i dont think ill be riding their boards again anytime soon:sleep:

gotta admit, I've got burton undies, socks, pants jackets.....

most were 60- 80 % off and quality stuff

http://search.backcountryoutlet.com/exec/?mv_session_id=ghiyLMQf&aff=1&q=burton&x=0&y=0

I'd try a Burton alpine board, if it wasn't for that stupid-ass 3 hole system for the bindings. I'd have loved the Fish that was on the classifieds too, but by the time I bought a new set of binders to ride it with ... the Madd BX I got for the same price is a better deal. And hey, my Carve RS stepins fit right on it!

Their outerwear looks fine, but I'm with Willy. I'm not enough of a fashion victim to buy it retail, SAC looks good to me!

As a long time manufacturing accountant, I can say that replacing that factory is going to be a logistical nightmare. I'm glad I'm not dealing with it!

I'd try a Burton alpine board, if it wasn't for that stupid-ass 3 hole system for the bindings. I'd have loved the Fish that was on the classifieds too, but by the time I bought a new set of binders to ride it with ... the Madd BX I got for the same price is a better deal. And hey, my Carve RS stepins fit right on it!

Their outerwear looks fine, but I'm with Willy. I'm not enough of a fashion victim to buy it retail, SAC looks good to me!

As a long time manufacturing accountant, I can say that replacing that factory is going to be a logistical nightmare. I'm glad I'm not dealing with it!

even TJ Maxx has decent tech Ronin jackets and pants and tis the season for maxi markdowns, look for the red tags 75% off:D

Boo, we don't have TJ Maxx here. I went crazy at the mall in Kalispell, when I was down at Big Mountain - TJ Maxx and Ross - "vini vidi Visa" (I came, I saw, I shopped!!) Didn't see any decent tech gear at that one tho.

We only have Winners in Canada, but I have seen some pretty styling SixSixOne and Sessions schwag on the odd occasion ...

Many alpine riders seem to forget that Jake "Carpenter" was the one that vigorously promoted snowboard racing and alpine riding, and Tom Sims who promoted freestyle. Tom Sims won that war, not Jake. Jake only won commercially.

Jake kept the alpine emphasis at Burton until the market forced the company to change. Business is business. Burton did not have a choice if they were going to keep their market share in North America. The original "Euro Shop" was a way to stay in alpine boarding, which was much more popular over there.

You almost never hear about Paul Alden anymore, but without Paul, and the contribution to racing that Paul made when he was running Burton with Jake, we would not have organized snowboard racing or the Olympics today. Paul was "the father" of snowboard racing in North America, and seems almost forgotten today. He was a nice man, and very dedicated to the sport, it's future and the young pro riders. He was also the "over 50" USASA national champion, with a bad knee. Thanks, Paul - some of us remember.

Get off Jake's back, even if he may have turned into a corporate jerk since 1993. He earned his "stripes" a long time ago. - "ghost"

I suspect he doesnt really run his company anymore, probably just rides and lets the suits handle all the marketing/advertising/budgeting crap. Thats what id probably do. I wonder if Burton will ever start making carve specific gear again? Probably never like what they had before, but maybe something BX ish or AM carver ish?

That brings up another point. It's not just the boards, what about the outerwear and other products they make that a lot of you guys still own and may have recently purchased? Anyone out there use Red Helmets?

the only burton clothes i can complain about are the gloves... they dont have a good ultradurrable hardbooter model

Thats funny. I'm on my second pair of burton mittens in 10 years. I have to replace the elastic cuff ripcord all the time, but other than that they're warm and comfortable. As for the boards, I'm with Allee. I guess I don't really have anything against the boards themselves (I guess I've never seriously ridden one) but I hate how they put the 3d system on their boards just so (in the early days) you HAD to buy burton bindings to go with them. What a scam.