Note to New Members ×

Bass Fishing

jtslalom

not a fan of cold water bass fishing, they are like catching driftwood when the water is 40ish. smallies are a little better in the cold but my plan is to go try to pick up some salmon, pike and and the big browns that are gorging on smelt and such.

Al, what kind of salmon are those?

did you take those on the fly or were you trolling?

those are both Kings caught off of west side Vancouver Island -- one of them was a White King ( the flesh is white ) which weighed in at about 28 lbs is sooooooo good eating - BBQ with alder wood is how I cook salmon. The white salmon are consider by some the best of all. I smoked half of it in my Lil Chief and I had friends showing up for dinner for quite awhile. I go again in August for about 5 days - can't wait.:biggthump

We were trolling about 90 feet with downriggers and plug cut herring

nice, I gotta get in the boat more, I get caught up in the fly fishing thing and I miss out on the big ones in deep water.

for us east coasters the great lake are where we can find the western salmon.

If you are a total masochist you fish for actual sea run atlantics, I've done it and caught a couple it's kinda hell, rain in oct/nov in eastern canada.

ahh, ive been chasing the massive pike we have here in the sacandaga. i get down to the mowhawk river every once in awhile, but fishing the locks is a pain in the arse. deep water with a foot long live sucker for bait, i think thatll do this year, need me a big ol' norther for the wall of my dorm :D

ahh, ive been chasing the massive pike we have here in the sacandaga. i get down to the mowhawk river every once in awhile, but fishing the locks is a pain in the arse. deep water with a foot long live sucker for bait, i think thatll do this year, need me a big ol' norther for the wall of my dorm :D

this time of year I try to take them in shallow water, sight fishing for pike is the shizzle but the season is effin' short for it. I have not been out this year but I have grabbed a couple with big streamers.

I might do the lake thing at some point here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quabbin_Reservoir

This is good -- I been out fishing Puget Sound when this sh&t happens.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDQ1GAZZk6E&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDQ1GAZZk6E&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Not much for Bass fishin but love the Sturgeon and Salmon fishing. That Sturgeon is about 10 feet and 550 lbs or so and arms are a little tired when you bring him along side. Catch and release only since the big boys and girls are breeders.

I was having dinner with a friend and there was Columbia River sturgeon on the menu. My friend was set on ordering it until I guilted him out of it by telling him how threatened they are. I can't believe there is still a commercial fishery for sturgeon.

lol skategoat in America we fully believe in decimating populations of animals to the brink of extinction so then we can have a PBS documentary about restoring them to threatened levels.

See: bald eagle and wolf

that's what kills me about fishing, with sport fishing the damage done if regulated properly is marginal with most species but commercial fishing with fish like sturgeon for example destroys fisheries in a generation or two.

ohh man, that's the pits when something eats your fish while you're trying to play it. Closest I have come is pike or musky ripping up small trout and smallies.

I was having dinner with a friend and there was Columbia River sturgeon on the menu. My friend was set on ordering it until I guilted him out of it by telling him how threatened they are. I can't believe there is still a commercial fishery for sturgeon.

Is this a world wide concern or a local concern? - by that I mean certain rivers? I think the lower Columbia has many Sturgeon -- so much that they are letting the Seal Lions kill them at will and the Feds are unwilling to do anything about it.:smashfrea

Is this a world wide concern or a local concern? - by that I mean certain rivers? I think the lower Columbia has many Sturgeon -- so much that they are letting the Seal Lions kill them at will and the Feds are unwilling to do anything about it.:smashfrea

It's pretty much guaranteed that if a fish is large, their populations are threatened. Bluefin tuna, salmon, swordfish, marlin, etc. - maybe not officially on the threatened list but certainly, their populations are vastly diminished.

I'm no expert on sturgeon, but I know their populations are threatened or endangered in many parts of the world. The Great Lakes used to have sturgeon. I've seen photos from the 1800s of stacks of dried sturgeon, piled up like cordwood on Toronto wharves. They were used for fuel!

As for Columbia River populations, a quick scan of the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) database tells me there is concern but they are not on the officially threatened list.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/234/summ

Went out with my dad in Rhode Island a few years ago, we left dock at 5:30am and at about 5:45 i caught this guy.... then went to sleep on the cooler he was kept in! I wanted to throw him back but my dad and boat captain wouldn't hear of it!

33lbs and almost 4 feet long... and yes it is me even though my head is cut off! Striped bass, very tasty!

post-1004-141842254962_thumb.jpg

ohh man, that's the pits when something eats your fish while you're trying to play it. Closest I have come is pike or musky ripping up small trout and smallies.

Unfortunately I've caught fish with a lamprey attached to the side. Those things are not cool...

Went out with my dad in Rhode Island a few years ago, we left dock at 5:30am and at about 5:45 i caught this guy.... then went to sleep on the cooler he was kept in! I wanted to throw him back but my dad and boat captain woudln't hear of it!

33lbs and almost 4 feet long... and yes it is me even though my head is cut off! Striped bass, very tasty!

Wow, impressive. Now I would be even more impressed if I heard you cleaned and gutted the thing and then roasted it that evening.

Unfortunately I've caught fish with a lamprey attached to the side. Those things are not cool...

ohhhhh the sea lampreys?

they get a bad rep, in their own environment they're fine, in the ocean and waters connected to the ocean.

they're a very important food source for a bunch of fish and other animals, they're only parasitic for a year of their like that that can be as long as 10 years.

they seriously **** up champlain and the great lakes though.

Once again, you have man to thank for that one.

Wow, impressive. Now I would be even more impressed if I heard you cleaned and gutted the thing and then roasted it that evening.

We did roast it that evening, but the boat captain cleaned and gutted for me! Remember I am the person who wanted to throw it back... I'm not much for killing and especially not gutting!:1luvu: