Note to New Members ×

Binding placement on a 188 Burner

SEJ

Setting up a 188 Burner I got from TVR. I've heard I should mount the bindings a little forward. Plan on riding it tomorrow. Any input? I normally set all boards centered on the insert patterns. This is a lot of board for me, and I've never ridden a split tail. Thank you for ANY input.

Scott

Insert packs are kinda funky. On my 188, perfectly centered on the front and rear insert packs gives me a stance of just under 18" - doesn't work for me. I'm nearly all the way up front and back on my insert packs to get me around 19.5" and it's been working. Put a few runs on it earlier this week and it felt good (1st time out on it in a while). The boards like to be ridden hard forward, but be careful in variable snow conditions - stiffer nose and not too much of it! That being said, they're a FUN ride and the softened tail make these decks pretty lively. Like others have said, the board has the ability to turn much tighter than one would think with a scr of just under 17m - the magic of the soft tail. However, while getting used to something with this much effective edge, I'd still still want to have some room to let it run - just a thought. Enjoy!

Setting up a 188 Burner I got from TVR. I've heard I should mount the bindings a little forward. Plan on riding it tomorrow. Any input? I normally set all boards centered on the insert patterns. This is a lot of board for me, and I've never ridden a split tail. Thank you for ANY input.

Scott

Couldn't tell you what my stance width is but don't be afraid to be forward on the inserts. I think I ended up all the way forward. I am a big guy too and I don't think I have ever come close to folding the nose.There is a spot when I get too far back on the tail that you can feel the flex change ( at my size anyway). Doesn't buck you off. It's just a feeling of "never felt that on a board before am I going for a ride. oh ok I guess not."

Have fun thiis is what I have been carving on mostly this winter and having a ball. It does ride shorter than what you would think of something in a 188. I put it at only slightly more to stay on top of than my FP173.

Does this thing really have a 17 m SCR. Sounds long? Or is that for the 197?

Couldn't tell you what my stance width is but don't be afraid to be forward on the inserts. I think I ended up all the way forward. I am a big guy too and I don't think I have ever come close to folding the nose.There is a spot when I get too far back on the tail that you can feel the flex change ( at my size anyway). Doesn't buck you off. It's just a feeling of "never felt that on a board before am I going for a ride. oh ok I guess not."

Does this thing really have a 17 m SCR. Sounds long? Or is that for the 197?

I am about 6' tall, 175 pounds, 18.25" stance width and ride mine dead center of the mounting holes and love it in that position.

carvedod the specs are as follows (nose, waist, tail, side cut, running length)

188cm | 22.8 | 18.15 | 22.2 | 16.72m | 170.5

I think the 97 is closer to 17.5

I have a 197 burner and I ride it back, showing the first two rows of inserts in front of the bomber disc on my front foot. I weigh 165. The scr is 19m on the 197 but you can really tighten it up!!

My guess is that you will love that board, and that you will like it however you set it up and of course then you'll find what works the best for you with a little experimentation.

Rock On.

Got a couple of runs on it Sunday. Soft afternoon snow. First pass with bindings centered did not work AT ALL. Tail blow out, couldn't even side slide it. I think I had 2 issues going on, center of effort and stance width. (I was only at 17.5") Moved the front binding forward 2 cm for more front bias and wider stance, and things got better. Ran out of legs at that point. I think I will keep moving the front binding forward till I find the sweet spot. Need to get to a wider stance on this beast anyways.

I must say the comments in the lift line were interesting. This is on a hill where I rarely see another carver. LOTS of open mouth stares. couple of people even knew what it was.

Thank's for everybody's input, and keep it coming if you have more suggestions.

Scott

Thank's for everybody's input, and keep it coming if you have more suggestions.

Scott

When I first got on a Burner it was a 188 and I started with the bindings centered on the hole pattern at my normal stance width. I figure that the inserts were put where the board should be ridden. When I tried to make the first turn I realized that it was not going to turn very well and thought "just need more speed", so the second turn came after pointing it a bit to get it up to speed and the thing behaved soooooooooooo well I have been riding all of them there ever since.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p

I remember in days log ago when I alpine skied and we wanted to make a ski quicker, we mounted just a bit ahead of center. With that in mind, forward may be the trick for you.

kt