Note to New Members ×

Way OT: Has anyone registered a kit car?

mirror70

I'm specifically wondering about MA, but I'd also like to know about other states. I need to know about emissions (what standard do I need to meet?) and chassis certification. In MA I need a certificate of origin, but what does that mean or entail, especially with regard to a chassis I designed and built myself?

I bought an engine for this project a couple of days ago, so I've taken the essential first step towards this two-year project. I figure now is a good time to start looking into what it's going to take to register this beast.

It's a 6 liter V12 from a '96 XJ12. It's quite a behemoth but it fits every requirement I had: V12, suitable for use as a structural member, fairly robust, reasonable easy to find at a reasonable cost. It's over-square stock, which bodes well for making it rev if the valvetrain can keep up. I've also read that it isn't uncommon to bore & stroke these beasts all the way up to 8L.

I've built a few autocross cars powered by CBR600 motors. They are ridiculously fast and a real blast to drive. This time around, I want something for use as a street car. The motorcycle engines just aren't big enough to push around a 2600lb car. Besides, as awesome as an inline-4 sounds when it's spinning at over 13k, I think a V12 sounds better at only 9k.

in my home town had a car built if I remember correctly it was a race job that was refitted to meet all the MA laws for emissions and other assorted things his biggest problem was was the engine he had to go with a chevy because the recomended engine would not pass

you will most likely have to meet the emission standards for the engine year used, so be prepared for that, including cat convertors in the "stock" locations, so you will have to use oem wiring/ecm to maintain legality and OBD2 accesability for testing. Good luck!

Try asking your question on the fordmuscle.com forums. Fordmuscle is a great source for car info, you might not want to mention you're not building a ford though.

Kind of related, one of my friends is talking about a twin-turbo mazda rotary powered 914 with 10" wide tires at all four corners. (he's serious, and he has an ME degree plus fabriction skills) Should be pretty insane when he's done.

I live in Ca and have a 81 Volvo Bertone Coupe stuffed with a '89 Ford 5.0 along with the T5 trans out of the donor car. I thought the emission guys were going to nail me for doing it but as long as the emission controls and converters werein place it passed with flying colors. If you ever see a green Chopped top Volvo, know that it is not your ordinary Volvo. The only thing to set it apart is the twin exhaust tips coming out the back!! Can you say SLEEPER?

Smog testing just got more fun in CA last fall - they now put the car on a dyno and sniff at 15mph and 25mph. The cost for the test has pretty much doubled (I just paid $78 at a place that used to charge $35). I'm sure it's worse if you have fixed 4wd and and have to find a place with two sets of rollers.

I want a FocalJet RS8

The use dynos here in WA as well, but with AWD ('91 325iX) they just let me rev the engine in neutral.

Then even had me leave it in neutral back when I had switchable 4WD (Subaru Loyale). I thought that was dumb but I guess you don't have to be smart to write laws.

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

what did you get for an engine?

I've always thought it would be cool to drop a motorcycle engine in a kit car. Something nasty like an R1 or a 996cc V2, so you could roll down "the strip" snapping the throttle!

Whoa, hold your horses! A cycle engine? That would be one nasty kit car! Be sure to have extra armor and a drag chute for extra protection. LOL:D

anybody interested in a Kawasaki Drag Bike? Older Kaw. chasis converted to Pro Stock, I ran Pro Gas, Top Gas, 1394cc, way too much to list here. Ran 8.59 seconds @160 mph in the 1/4 mile, with my fat butt on it (210 lb). Complete Operation& Spare Parts & New Trailer, Cheap !!! (jp-1@fast.net)

Sorry/couldn't resist----John

Guest Jagger
Originally posted by Zcarver

Whoa, hold your horses! A cycle engine? That would be one nasty kit car! Be sure to have extra armor and a drag chute for extra protection. LOL:D

No No No you gotta go with a big block crate motor. Sallee has a 502 ci pushing close to 600 ponys and around 560 ft lbs of torque, if you're gonna be a bear might as well be a tyranosaurus!:D

Yep! I don't why, but I was thinking a go-kart. Heh hee.

I wasn't aware he was talking about a real kit car! I was reading the thread too fast.

He should throw on a dual turbo innercooler also! That might add another 200 hp to the 600!!! Heh hee That would be one nasty car!:D