Note to New Members ×

Hardboots or Softboots for Watersplash?

felix

hey, just wanted to ask what you recommend for competing in a watersplash contest?

I thought about taking my tanker with softboots. Or should I rather use hardboots? I have never participated on any dedicated watersplash (only boardercross with watersplah but speed wasn't an issue there). and noticed that nearly all previous winners on the watersplash tour around here wore hardboots and participated on 185 GS or even old SuperG raceboards, however I believe my tanker should carry me further. The length is 12m and the run in will be consequently shortened until only one person gets through.

There's 300 Euros for the winner so I'm eager to plunge in. Just wondered if there are any special tricks to it?

I've only done this once, but here's my observations.

1) length (and surface area) seem to be key. I rode an 178 cm Osin 4807, which worked great - the boat nose keeps the nose from pearling on water as well as on powder.

2) You'll probably hit the water going pretty fast (at least on your first run, when you have the longest runway). The snow-->water transition is like moving from groom to powder: keep your knees flexed, and soak up the impact.

3) There seem to be basically 2 ways to wreck: 1) run out of speed, or 2) stuff the nose or an edge. Hold a pretty straight line - it is possible to carve turns on water, apparently, but if you mess up, you'll stuff the edge. Keep the nose up! You might want to move your bindings back a little bit to help with this.

That's about it -- I rode it with hardboots, but mainly because I don't really wear softies anymore. I'd say that whatever you're most used to would be best.

Let us know how it goes!

I would go with soft boots so that you can feel the water and have greater range of motion.

1) No toe or heel overhang

2) Very good wax for the conditions.

3) Practice your jump starts - from your heel edge to board pointed down the hill. (unless there is a race type gate to start from)

4) As little side cut as possible. You can feel the tail hooking like on a flat cat track with too much side cut. This will slow you down.

5) A very cool and aerodynamic costume.

I bet an old super G board did work well if it had a large radius sidecut and a bit of taper.

Good luck!

attachment.php?attachmentid=7948&stc=1&d=1176344666attachment.php?attachmentid=7912&stc=1&d=1176081718

Again let us know how you do!

Thanks mates!

So I think I'll go with softboots and my 2m tanker with the bindings set all the way back (only problem of that board is that the base is completely trashed and fixed up so its not really the fastest board out there but I'll put on some good low-fluor wax and in case it's warmer than the predictions (around -5° and snowing) i might put on some high-fluor race paste on the later runs, most other competitors will do everything possible too, many on the podiums of previous watersplashes around here have been on pretty high ranks in EC or for some even got good result in ISF worldcup "some" years ago).

Of course fun comes first, but a podium wouldn't be bad for sure.:D

Nice thing about it is that there will be loads of great carvers and racers up on that day because of the watersplash.

Looking at the weather predictions I'm rather looking forward to wearing warm clothes

I don't think I'll have big problems except for missing speed, as I have often been on waterramps for freestyle training and know a bit how a snowboard behaves on landing into water (though I think going in "straight" without jumping will carry the speed through better).

"my" local ski hill does this every year on the last day of the season, and gives away a snowboard or pair of skis to the person that makes it all the way across the "pond" from the lowest point on the run in. the things that caused me problems were too much pressure on my back foot, (REALLY slows you down) or entering the water being slightly on edge. (the board can hook and totally dump you). it's fun to kick the tail and splash the crowd, :eplus2: but if i do it too early, it costs too much momentum and i don't make it across. anyway, best of luck, and have fun... btw the water is usually only about waist deep, so swimming is not neccesary. the "hard" part of it is bending over in the water to take off your board to get out.

n1234710623_30114380_8207.jpg

"I get tendinitis in my back, neck, and leg.

A dislocated hip.

Rope burn on my neck from my helmet shooting off"

"I was bleeding in my neck and couldn't remember anything for about 30 seconds"

Good luck!

From a watersplash or wrong topic??????????

Don't think that it's dangerous in any way, as speed is very low anyhow. What I've seen on previous pictures the pond is so deep that they through you a rope and tear ya out if you fall!

I'd imagine it would be like high-siding while water skiing at 30mph or so.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't know about anybody else, but I've gone tumbling across the water and speed. It definitely hurt and I had to purge my sinuses, but it doesn't discourage me from trying more barrel rolls on the tube...