Note to New Members ×

Picks Of The Week

bumpyride

Favourite for smaller turns: Madd 158 metal. Just plain bad ass, had me laughing maniacally mid-way through a run at Highlands. It ate up anything I threw at it. It made a very unique noise when slicing through groom. Outside my budget unfortunately... :(

Favourite for medium to large turns: Donek FC1. Liked it so much I bought the demo board! Was very lively and gave me tons of feedback, it puts a smile on my face.

I really wanted to like the Prior WCR and Swoard boards, but I found them a bit 'dull'. Like driving an SUV instead of a sports car, but they still had the same grip of the others. Others loved them though, I heard a lot about how there are 'Donek riders' and 'Prior riders', I guess I'm a 'Donek rider'!

I also liked the Donek a lot. I am 5'7" and 165 lbs, and for me it was the FCII 167. Short and turny enough for the small crowded hills I often ride, but rails high speed turns well too. Lively and responsive feel. 19.5 width is enough to work in a variety of conditions too.

I also demo'd a Prior WCR metal 173, and like Corey I thought it felt a little dead and unlively. I've been told that they require a different riding style, and when you spend some more time on them they can transform your riding, so maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

My own boards were a 2008 Prior 4WD 164 and an '03 Madd 158 that I recently bought used. The 4WD was a lot of fun everywhere, including the powder day and late day chop. The Madd was extremely fun, lively, springy, fantastic edge hold, pretty stable for such a short board, but demanded more effort to ride and tired me out quickly.

I think the Donek could be a good all-around board for someone who mostly carves the grooms. I would consider buying one, but the combo of the Madd and Prior gives me all the capabilities I need.

I should have demo'd others like the Coiler and Virus and new Madds and Donek FCI, but I didn't.

The Coiler AM-T was so good I took it out twice. Once to be amazed, and a second time to make sure that I hadn't had too many margaritas for lunch the first time (I hadn't:biggthump)

I also took out a very pretty black and silver Nidecker carbon?metal? which at 177cm was way too long for me, but I had a huge amount of fun on it once I got used to the length and being back on an 18cm waist. Stable, damp, and carved great long high speed turns . I don't know what the sidecut was, it wasn't all that keen on tight stuff, but let it run and it was a blast. I would have loved to try the same board in a 168 or 173.

The only other board I rode was a Virus Scalpel, which just wasn't my thing - interesting, because one of the guys I ride with a lot loved it so much, he bought it home...

How about you guys that were lucky enough to go, pick 2 or 3 of the favorite demo boards and let us know why. Maybe a hard condition board, soft condition board and an off-piste carver.

Glad you guys had fun.

Coiler Schtubby,

Coiler Schtubby,

and Coiler Schtubby

nough said! I will be selling several, replacing with one, and sacrificing nothing! All I can say is find one and demo it!:1luvu:

WOW! Coming from you that says alot. Didn't get a chance to ride that one. Were you riding the white 171 or 2 that was set up for 180#?
Yes, 171cm, 13m SCR, built for 180lb rider, me riding it (210lbs) on softish snow.

I was concerned about the nose folding due to the soft conditions so I made the first run staying back on the board -- no issues.

Next run moved forward a little -- no issues.

Next run moved forward a little -- no issues.

Next run rode neutral -- no issues

Last run rode hard -- not even a whimper.

I definitely enjoyed the board. I had good company for those runs too... thanks JoelP :biggthump

yea ya laughed 3 years ago..... keep laughing at the Schtubby...

A special Thanks must to go to the main man who actually named it three years ago!!!!

Thank you Admiral ****Mr. Dave Morgan*****!! for the name and further inspiration for me to continue to be the worst fuqin thorn in Bruces behind!! but the Schtubby X2 was dam worth every fricken penny!!

YOU just have to ride it..

Schtubby X3 says Shred....:eek:

What.... no thank you?

yea ya laughed 3 years ago..... keep laughing at the Schtubby...

Shred - you da man! It performs better than I even thought possible. A sincere thank you.

The only thing that might be better was the prototype/hybrid Schtubby that JoelP was riding. :eplus2:

I could see having a 2 board alpine quiver with a proto/hybrid Metal Schtubby and modified Metal AM.:eek:

- Alpinepunk Afterburner 182 soft: Great allround carving an powderboard!

- Virus Goddess: never got pow with it, but when used to the width of it (my usual width is 14cm :1luvu:) it carves great on the slope!

Wanted to try more things, but the first time in Aspen I didn't want to "waste" my time there, changing bindings! :p

how would you modify the am?
I would see what Bruce is doing with the Metal AM in lengths over 172; I have only seen specs for Mike T's 172, which seems to be the standard. I'd go with a narrow waist (19-20 cm) because I wear mondo 26 boots, a longer nose for when I venture off the groom, etc... Nothing major.