Note to New Members ×

O Snurfer, Where Art Thou!!?

boarderboy

That's a cool article. It made the Noboard sound really interesting for backcountry stuff, where you don't want to be clipping in and out every 30 feet. I'd be too scared to ride it in the trees though, at least at first.

I fear that Burton will only use it to promote new (and more extreeeeem!) jib-tricks.

----------------

edited to add: check out the NoFish shown here: http://www.snowboard-revolution.com/news/Burton-and-Noboard-Partner-to-Create-the-NoFish-for-2009.html

that's a pretty damn cool topsheet.

Why is it that some carvers think that carving is the only "valid" way to slide down the slope? That's a lame-ass attitude if you ask me ... just as bad as jibbers who claim that wearing hardboots and a carving deck make you more of a skier than a snowboard. Personally, I couldn't give two ****s about how you get down the mountain, as long as you're having fun and not hurting anyone. Variety is the spice of life.

Personally, I think this is a cool idea, and one I hope to try the first chance I have. It does seem like a particularly cool backcountry tool.

Your way is not the right way. Your way is not the wrong way. Your way is your way. We're all just getting our jollies, sliding down the mountain, one way or another.

The article is about the Greg Todds Memorial.

Geets was one of my closest friends in the early Alberta snowboard scene and a local legend. He used to be my closest competition in races and would blow my doors off in the pipe.

He was a true mountain man.

Jesse, the articles writer is the brother of Lukas Huffman and a pretty hot rider in his own right. Both had good times in the race (on the clock and generally speaking)

Every year the event gets bigger and bigger, with many of Gregs friends, new Noboard riders just stoked on the scene and some superpros as well. This year Travis Rice, Bryan Iguchi, Trevor Andrew, The Leines bros, Mikey Rencz, Shin Campos, Romain De Marchi and others came and killed it, but still couldn't beat the times of the Noboard team. They hammered, though.

All that aside, the limits of the Noboard are still to be discovered.

At one end we have an idea to piggyback Volcoms "Surfboard kick-flip" contest into a "Noboard Christ-Air" comp that we'll run. At the other "extreme", we're talking with Burton's LTR folks about including Noboarding as an introductory step in a beginner lesson. We'd do it for the first basic straight runs, where bindings can sometimes be a problem with new riders trying to find their balance. Just step on, slide for 20 feet or so and jump off if you feel sketchy. No "Fly-swatter" action from being bound up.

In the middle of this are powder days and backyard hills.

I am at the point with it where I don't use bindings if the snow is powish. The performnce level, especially "off the rope" is just like I'm used to... Fast and flowing, with as much carve (tail follows the nose) as I have strapped in. I have no problems with steep trees... Just shallow, thin powder under the loose stuff is the only unknown that can send a run sideways.

Burton has stepped up, but at this point I feel like Cholo is doing them a favour by letting them get in on what Transworld's Curt Hoy has described as "The most core thing going on in snowboarding today".

It has rekindled my love for a sport I was growing a bit tired of (100+ days a year for 20 years) and I'm better in my bindings than ever.

You should Noboard.

PS: If I can figure out the codec for this Samsung mincam I bought, I'll post some nice no-rope treelines a we got in the days just before the event and footage we got of the "Asian Canadian Downhill". That was a mass-start **** show, if there ever was one.

we're talking with Burton's LTR folks about including Noboarding as an introductory step in a beginner lesson. We'd do it for the first basic straight runs, where bindings can sometimes be a problem with new riders trying to find their balance. Just step on, slide for 20 feet or so and jump off if you feel sketchy. No "Fly-swatter" action from being bound up.

Thats a super smart idea. One of the hugest problems that I see beginers having is not being able to easily upright themselves when they tip over heelside, since it is easier to get up when there is a bit of pitch, but harder to learn on a significant pitch. This would fix that problem right up.