Note to New Members ×

Full Face Helmets

newcarver

Thinking of upgrading to a full face helmet. Any recommendations? Would like to get something that will work well with goggles, not impead periphereal vision, and isn't overly heavy. What has everyone found to give you the most bang for the buck? Does a full face helmet really give you much more protection? I would assume that several are made for BX. Was wondering if something made for BMX would work? Do they have any safety ratings/certification that I should look for? TIA

I have a Salomon full face and it has saved my jaw and chicklets at least 4times in two years. It is decent for view but they are not easy to find. I rode last week for the first time in a few years with my regular helmet and visuals were identifyably better, but the fear of getting worked by some straightlining dingdong on skis or a board outweighs the better vision. I just am just more precautious when decdiing to drop in to slope traffic. Always check my back about every 4-5 turn toeside.

These look to be worthy, little pricy, but its your melon we are talking about

http://search.ebay.com/Pro-Bravo-Carbon-Helmet_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQdfspZ1QQfromZR40QQssPageNameZRC0023?_trksid=p1638.m120

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pryme-AL-Full-Face-Helmets_W0QQitemZ250214183990QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42325QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this isnt a bad helmet for the price, made int he same factory as the Bell helmets.

You want to make sure and get one fairly light, as opposed to a Moto helmet,

also check the boeri BX helmethttps://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=77x/463.0

I have been riding full face MTB helmets for quite a few years now,

FF helmets have saved my teeth a few times, cut a lot of sun/wind exposure, I find no different than a standard helmet if wearing goggles which are the limiting factor to vision anyways.

Started with Bell Rythm Pro, then a sixsixone, now on to a Dainese Raptor the best of the bunch for comfort on me.

Buy based on fit, not looks or brand, vents can always be plugged with open cell foam, look into quick straps for your goggles,

Dave*

I have had great luck with the gyro remedy. Its kind if a no frils helmet for a little more money like $220 I think? you can get a vigor vm2 full face helmet. I have been using this for mountain cross racing, snowmobiling and tow in skiing for the last 4 years and love it. Its very light weight great vision and works well with goggles. Plus it looks cool.

http://vigorhelmets.com/vamoose.html

I think I'll look into one of the HJC helmets. Have a dealer here in town and they are DOT and SNELL rated. Price is great at $110 too. I'll get to try one on first. I ordered a 686 from Sierra trading post last year and it was too small. Sent it back and they didn't have any in a larger size. Thanks for all the recommendations:biggthump

I've heard pros and cons reguarding full face cover.

This subject came up at last years eastern Canada & USA TD seminar (fis for tech supervisor) Several strong negative comments, the strongest from an American Doctor with lots of (unfortunate) experience from full face helmets and neck injuries. My son who rides the sbx NorAm circuit has gone back to full face protection. I suggested a neck guard but I don't think they're very sexy... I'm particularly concerned with young riders wearing full face helmets.

Comments please.

I could see where the chin guard could cause some problems if your sliding and it catches on the ground. But the impact to a strait liner or tree could do a lot of damage to your face. I know there was a news reporter that just died from an impact with a tree while skiing a Breck. He was wearing a helmet. Not sure what kind though. A Leate brace would be a good idea but they are not cheap $700. It would be a worth while investment for a racer and could prevent a serious neck injury. All of the other head and neck restraints are a lot more cumbersom and only work with saftey harnesses as far as I know. I think there is a device called the R3 which is a lot like a HANS but doesn't rely on the seat belts. It straps around your torso and attaches to your helmet. Most devices require you to drill holes in the helmet for the anchors.

I tried on one of the new Sweet Fullface helmets this year. I really liked it for its dropped chinguard - much better visibility than any of those stupid MX looking ones with the bump right in front of your mouth. I'd have bought it if it had better venting. Hopefully next season they'll make the same one with better vents.

lg_420885.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

New carver, I have a pro tec full face but I don't know the model name.

I find the visibility to be good and the face protection piece to be solid. It has no visor. I have taken skier gates in the face with it and have been pleased with the protection so far( no broken goggles). I remember it being about $100.

I usually only wear it when running gates and wear my other helmet when free carving.

I was once knocked cold for 5 minutes plus, by a straight lining snowboarder. I was wearing a Bell helmet at the time. He broke his brand new Palmer in half from the impact of his board to my back foot.

So when are you coming to T-Ride? Sounds like you have your boot problem fixed. The snow for carving has been fantastic and the year is slipping away. Lets get together soon!!

Went on Tues with my wife and rode carving board. Ran into a couple of guys on 172 F2 Speedster and his son in law with a Prior. They thought I was someone else that was riding with you on Sun. I'll let you know the next day I can get over there. Planning on going to C/B on the 16th as I have days to use up there. Might be going to T-ride on Mon the 17th. Need to get my days in while I can. I was going to ride this weekend but I've got a wicked cold right now:(

I wear a RED BX with Wisdoms and am a BIG fan of full face helmets. How much is your face worth :freak3:? Just be sure your Goggle choice is designed to be worn with a helmet (I guess some people still don't wear helmets, seat belts, etc...). Oakley makes a helmet kit for many of their models and it comes with a bigger standoff mount where the strap attaches. Gives a nice fit at the temple region.

Dainese has also been getting into the snow game and has a pretty good line of helmets (make an awesome snow glove/wristguard combo). Some helmets are spinoofs from their Mountain Bike helmets. Dainese is a bit pricey and might also give you the urge to sit outside somewhere to sip espresso...

http://www.dainese.com/eng/coll_ski.asp

4840040_z_f.jpgkombat%20t2%20h_076_f_z.jpg

In my opininon full helmet is very usefull only in dense woods. It is a overkill for trails. Just keep your eyes open and wait for a "break" in the people.

Generaly i like to keep it pure and simple, more stuff, more gimicks will not make you carve better. Forget body armors, motocrosshelmets,mp3 players, heated boots and gloves, tosters, washing mashines ect

It will make you heavy, slow you down and limit your movements.

Also it make us (carvers) looking like bunch of freaks.

Nothing look more sad then hardbooter in full body armor and helmets, skidding.

My fullface helmet and body armor has saved me more than once on rear ending straightliners at the mountain I ride. While I am very selective in crowd openings, there are always at least a couple per day that manage to come closer than what I find comfortable and as indicted have plowed me.

I dont wear my fullface for the fashion show, I wear it because it protects me. He didnt ask if the fullface would make him a better rider , he asked for opinions on the helmets that are out there. I also dont find my helmet or armor to be constrictive or overweight. just like I wear my leathers for downhill skateboarding for anything over 40mph. I should wear at slower speeds even, but I dont. Looks silly, but keeps the skin on my rump.

If you are fortunate enough to ride at an open mountain with minimal straightliners, then great for you. But I think if someone is interested in protecting themselves at a higher level , why deter them from it?

Looking for protection of the noggin. Have fell face first on both hardpack and pow. Hurt both times. Do ride trees and go fast. We have ski racers and snowboarders riding at speeds above 45 mph. Just want to protect myself the best I can:smashfrea Unfortunately, the best runs for carving seem to have the most straightliners too.

I have always noticed that people seem to perform at their best when Confident and Relaxed. Not sure which one comes first... relaxed because their confident or confident because they are relaxed? :rolleyes: Anyways, I sure know that I ride alot more loose and flowing the MORE gear I wear... and I respect someone that performs best in a T shirt and sunglasses. Whatever floats your boat :)!