Note to New Members ×

Zardoz NotWax = Rain-X ?

Mark.Andersen

Tahoe is really sloppy these days, so lift chatter often turns to waxing. I rode the lift with a guy today that said that Rain-X (the stuff for you windshield) is basically the same stuff as Zardoz NotWax. I've had pretty good results in spring slush with Zardoz, but at $15 for a thimble full, it's pretty expensive, and you need to reapply alot. Rain-X is $2.49 at the auto parts store and you get 20 times as much.

Anyone out ever tried this?

Mark

Rain X works well in a pinch. I've only used it once as a goof and it actually makes a difference. Dominator wax is my new favorite. Carbon/Graphite I think. Put a SERIOUS wax on my PureCarve 175 at the US Open at Stratton a few weeks ago. Good Stuff! :D

hey give it a shot and let us know. that zardoz is some great stuff when its wet. i figure you're not really getting base protection with it so why not try something else? they both repel water.....i'd try it mark but my season is kaput,:(, so you'll have to be the guinea pig.

chris

not wax is just that-- not wax

its a florinated oil (KryTox)

used in things that need a inert oil (pumps, medical stuff)

and bike chains!!! (go figure)

its Finish Line Victory Lube Booster Shot about $10 for a syringe full

look in the dry lubes section.

For 14 its not a bad deal for the puck though..

Since I never have used no wax, do you have to strip you base clean of all wax??

Just a off thought, why not disolve your favorite wax in some naphta and tissue some on? It will leave a nice film.

Just a thought but what do I know... I know naaa-thing.

KryTox comes in several viscosities, Im assuminug for different usages, and tempature ranges.

http://exceed.dupont.com/Krytox/webpub.nsf/Pages/index.html

Is duponts main page on the product.

Im sure you could email them for a "Professional Sample"

I use to have electronic companies (motorola) send me "demo" chips..

In looking around Duponts web site I think the "General-Purpose Grades -- clear, colorless; nonreactive, nonflammable, long-lasting; fluorinated synthetic oils safe for chemical and oxygen service"

Is probally the product you will be looking for.

http://www.tmcindustries.com/krytox.htm

you can buy a 1 pound bottle for about 103$

http://www.tmcindustries.com/aerosol.htm

I may be wrong but it may be in a small squeeze bottle. (check the MSDS )

... There you go

As far as it getting in the snow and water suply......Hmm

Im SURE dupont would not let anything bad happen to our enviroment!

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Perhaps they share some common ingredients, but Zardo's contains graphite, and is black. Not anything you'd ever put on your windshield.

Also, Zardos should be illegal. No snowboard was ever meant to go that fast. ;)

black I have a refill bottle (looks like something that crack would come in) and its a clear liquid

rain x has silicone which is super fast when its wet swix made a silicone wax that stuff was slick as it gets on wet snow

• 2 weeks later...

So did anyone try out any of these options? Rain-X aerosol, Krytox grease, or silicone spray w/krytox?

I'm just about out of Zardoz. This stuff works so well but it wears out WAY too fast. 5-6 hard runs and its time to reapply. I definitely want something cheaper even if it doesn't last as long.

Guest Pre School Rider

I've tried these various things in the past on my boards to go faster in the Wet. I'll list them in order of success. 1] Zardox Not Wax. It's an additive,or can be used by itself,and also can be considered a 'rub on'.It works in any wet snow at temps above 25*F right on up through the low 70's.Mixed,it makes for iffy wax absorbtion,leaving spots un-waxed.By itself,or added to a wax coat,it's a great add-on,but wears out in half a day.Easy to re-apply though.No harm to the board that I can see. 2] Spray Silicon,from the hardware store. Use only as an add-on.Goes great in warm,wet conditions above 50*F,but seems to 'dry out' unprotected bases,and only lasts a few runs. 3] Silicon-impregnated wax. Have loved this stuff,but it's getting hard to find. Very soft,hard to blend with other waxes,but it a good base-coat on days that go from cold to warm.Works best in the mid twenties up to the low-mid 50's,and lasts as well as you waxed it in.Oh,and can be scraped mid-day,or have one of the two things I mention above added as a rub-on for when it really warms up. 4] F-2 or Swix rub-on Paste.Really dosen't do so well at temps above the mid-40's,and dosen't shed oils or goo at all.Fast when first applied,it wears of quickly.Nice for days you didn't quite wax right,but not good in really warm/wet conditions.Base friendly,and easy to use,good for preventing 'base-burn' on granular snow. 5] Other stupid stuff I've done... :o I've used {in desperate times} Soft-Scrub soap,applied the day before with Scotchbrite pads,when we were faced with 75*F weather at my level 2 AASI exam. Mr. Burt thought of it,I think.Left sudsy bubbles for a lap or two,and did keep the goo at bay.Not fast,but economical,kinda fun,even! ;) I've used Rain-X,once,on my old Sims 1800 raceboard. It never did wax right again,helluva way to kill a classic swallowtail,just for one day's riding. It was at Killington,in mid June,and the temps were in the low 80's.Nothing else I could think of (even spray silicon!) would let the board run for more than a run or two.Rain-X did work for that day,kinda sleazy-fast,but when tried to wax it for summer storage,the wax shed off quickly in lumps.I sold the board the next season,regetted it ever since...

Thanks for all the responses. I ended up buying both, but only using the Zardoz. Like I said, the Zardoz works well but is spendy. The thing that turned me off to the Rain-X was the obvious use of some type of alcohol in the solution. The Zardoz doesn't have much odor, but the Rain-X smells strongly of alchol. I feared that the alcohol could have some drying effect on the base material.

So, I employed a few methods on various boards. Here are the results.

1. Dry base (little to no wax) with Zardoz. Worked well for a short time, but the effect didn't last long.

2. Wax only, no Zardoz. I used One Ball Jay Summer Slush wax, and I have to say that the stuff is quite good. Compared to a board waxed with OBJ Warm wax, the difference was huge. Great stuff.

3. Wax with Summer Slush, apply Zardoz, go ride. The best of both worlds. Board was super glidey for the entire day.

The $15 investment in Zardoz kept my boards sliding well for 8 full days (reapply at lunch) before running out. Combined with the cost of the block of Summer Slush ($4 on sale) I figure that $2.25/day isn't too much money to get much more enjoyment out of a spring day. Considering that stopping an hour or two earlier due to sticky snow would have cost me more than $10/day in beers at the bar, the investment was well worth it.

Mark

damn it all...they don't ship to Canada.

As I plan to snowboard 120 days straight next year, this would be a godsend...I'd buy it, right now, if I could.

hm...If anybody wants to divy it up 50/50 or something, and there isn't any problem getting it from you to me here in Canda, I'm game...really. (Assuming no one here thinks that this may be a different grade of Krytox unsuitable for snowboarding...Krytox comes in 10-60 grades..(# of CH2 groups in middle I think).

---

Compared to Zardoz @ $20 CND/$15.99 USD per 15g=0.0401884 lb

$131 CND/$100 USD / 4 lb

Puck at a time: $500.00CND/$382.00USD / lb

Bulk:====== : $32.75CND/$25.00USD / lb

well, damn!

:D

ps. someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

the question you have to ask is the viscosity.

krytox has 3 (that I can find) liquids @40o

1506 with a viscosity of 64cp

1514 with a viscosity of 148cp

1525 with a viscosity of 276cp

since i have never used zardoz here is a quick chart

if you can kinda tell the difference in viscosity.

Water @ 20°C 1.002 cP

Linseedoil (Boiled) 64cP

Corn oil 72cp

Olive oil @ 20°C 84.0 cP

Light machine oil @ 20°C 102 cP

Motor oil SAE 10 50-100cP 65cP

Motor oil SAE 20 125cP

Motor oil SAE 40 250-500cP 319cP

so does it seem closer to corn oil or 20grade motor oil or 40 grade..

lol

ill toss $20 in for the experiment. get a few more people divy it with cheap $1 bottles,ship it out..

Better do it quick if anyone wants..

I see you've bid. So nobody else overbid! :P

hm..it IS an oil, not a grease, thankfully.

this is Krytox 1514, slightly different than the Krytox R901 used in Zardoz....lessee....operating range -57/177 degrees celcius while R901 (zardoz notwax) operates down to -71 degrees celcius...

I'd hazard a guess that 901 has a relative viscosity of 901 compared to 1514's viscosity of 1514. So 1514 is more viscous. It should be, as it's classed for vacuum applications.

It'll probably end up being slightly less efficient at very low temperatures, but may last longer. I'm assuming no one wants to use it below ~-50 C?