Note to New Members ×

Last day for MADDs

RJ-PS

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which board would be better for a light weight rider like my (5'8" 147 lbs). I'm pretty much a novice hardbooter so I'm not sure whether I would truly benefit from such a board (would I become spoiled by the edge hold?). BTW, I ride on the west coast in Lake Tahoe so ice pretty much doesn't exist over here for the most part... just extremely firm hardpack with occasional death cookies.

I have a decent toeside, but very crappy heelsides still, I think I'm hunched over too much and that is preventing my from squaring my shoulders to my board. Also I'm still working on getting my butt over my board.

Check it out at my interim homepage.

http://home.comcast.net/~atchang/

Just wondering if the 158 or 170 would be better for me, if either. I have a lot of practice/learning to do. Dammit... I'm suppose to *not* buy a new board at least for another season since I figure buying a new board is not going to make me a better rider (which is different from riding better).

Originally posted by lonerider

Dammit... I'm suppose to *not* buy a new board at least for another season since I figure buying a new board is not going to make me a better rider (which is different from riding better).

In my limited and non-expert experience - getting a new board has helped me become a better rider. I've been able to break through some plateaus this season not only because I've had the good fortune to ride with better riders who want to help me, but also because I was on a board that I felt truly comfortable on, and I could focus 100% on what I was trying to learn, rather than feeling my shins rattle or worrying about face-planting.

I can measure my improvement by getting back on my other board and knowing that I handle that one better now too.

Originally posted by Mike T

I can measure my improvement by getting back on my other board and knowing that I handle that one better now too.

But was it the board? or the extra days of practice and lessons that you had on the board?

Still trying to see if a 170 would be too long for a 145 lbs person like me and/or if the 158 is too unforgiving.

Originally posted by lonerider

But was it the board? or the extra days of practice and lessons that you had on the board?

Still trying to see if a 170 would be too long for a 145 lbs person like me and/or if the 158 is too unforgiving.

It was the board. Definitely.

The "old board" is my Axis 172 and the "new board" is my Coiler PR 184. The Axis is snappier but less forgiving, the Coiler is damper and easier riding.

When I'm on the Axis I feel like 50% of my brain is thinking about "handling the board" and that leaves 50% to think about technqiue. When I'm on my Coiler I feel like 5% of my brain is thinking about "handling the board" and that leaves 95% to concentrate on what I'm trying to learn. Make sense?

Also note the sidecuts - 13 m on the Coiler means I can ride it hard and still have time to let each turn sink in. The 10 m Axis means if I ride it hard the turns are BANG BANG BANG and I don't get as much time to let the feeling "sink in".

I try learn new things on my Coiler and then "test myself" by trying to do the same thing on my Axis. I always find I need to fine-tune the lesson a bit to get it to work on the Axis.... it's snappier and has a tighter sidecut which does indeed seem to translate into less margin for error and less time to regroup from a mistake! (Also, I find the more forward stance easier, and that means either a less comfortable stabnce on the Axis or underhang, neither of which helps)

If I were actually *talented* I'm sure I'd progress faster on just about anything! But my talent has limits and I'm aware of them, so I use gear to help me learn faster and enjoy myself more. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer it the other way around, but I'm having such a good time I'm not about to complain ;)

I tried, but I couldn't resist buying a 158 after all I've heard about them. I guess I'll spend all summer looking forward to riding it. (and working on my car)

Guest Cheri

Every chance I got, this season, I would step up to the next level. That meant getting on the 170 as soon as the "experts" said I was ready. Now, I ride the steeps better than the easy stuff. BTW, I'm 5'7 and a lot less than 145lbs. I love the 170 and will ride the 158 and 170 next season. I need them both too Shred!!! I had 3 of the best coaches and Madd experts and they never said it was too much board for me. Now, I'm a believer.

Originally posted by Cheri

Every chance I got, this season, I would step up to the next level. That meant getting on the 170 as soon as the "experts" said I was ready. Now, I ride the steeps better than the easy stuff. BTW, I'm 5'7 and a lot less than 145lbs. I love the 170 and will ride the 158 and 170 next season. I need them both too Shred!!! I had 3 of the best coaches and Madd experts and they never said it was too much board for me. Now, I'm a believer.

"Occupation? Madd Snowboards, Sales and Operations "

JK, I'm very sure you are being sincere in your comments and so I am interested in your thoughts... in particular because you are a lighter weight rider (seems like everyone is 170+ here).

So you like it better than your Prior 4WD? What size do you have? If you find the longer length to be "cumbersome"? (158 vs 170). I rode a 4WD it felt a little "long" and "stuff" to me. Roughly what level of proficiency did you require before you were "ready" for the 170 as you mentioned. You mentioned having 3 coaches and Madd experts and I won't have that luxury myself.

Thanks

Guest Cheri

Madd is my new passion. I hopped on the Madd team so we could all ride the Madds next season. My 170 is old and getting ready to retire. My motivation was selfish. I NEED a new one for next season.

My learning board was a 154 Wild Duck. I got on the 170 about a month into the season and after my first lesson. I got back on the Duck one day for a couple of runs and gave it away a couple weeks later. My Prior 4wd is a 159. I rode that on the softest days. A really fun board on those days that I'm happy to have. Even though the 158 is a shorter board, it's much stiffer and requires strenth and skill to ride well. The 170 gives me enough time to "put it all together." As far as not having skilled riders to coach you, I know I would not have come as far this season without them. My goal this season was to ride a Madd. My goal next season is to ride a 158, well.

Originally posted by Cheri

Madd is my new passion. I hopped on the Madd team so we could all ride the Madds next season. My 170 is old and getting ready to retire. My motivation was selfish. I NEED a new one for next season.

My learning board was a 154 Wild Duck. I got on the 170 about a month into the season and after my first lesson. I got back on the Duck one day for a couple of runs and gave it away a couple weeks later. My Prior 4wd is a 159. I rode that on the softest days. A really fun board on those days that I'm happy to have. Even though the 158 is a shorter board, it's much stiffer and requires strenth and skill to ride well. The 170 gives me enough time to "put it all together." As far as not having skilled riders to coach you, I know I would not have come as far this season without them. My goal this season was to ride a Madd. My goal next season is to ride a 158, well.

So are you saying this is your first season on hardboots and rode a month with your Wild Duck 154 and then switch to a 170? Or have you been riding the Duck for a while and only discovered the Madds this season?

My "learner board" is a Burton Ultraprime 162 which I'm not sure if I like it or not. It doesn't seem as stable as the other boards (4WD 168, 174) I've tried as it tends to "hop" on me on my heelsides, but I was wondering if that was due to poor technique as many people ride Burton boards without such issues. I have considered Mike T's perspective on the issue that a smoother riding board will let me concentrate more on technique.

Post on Catekforum.

Re: MAD about MADD

Author: John Gilmour

Date: 04-02-04 12:29

So Banker got some demos pressed. Mr. Sams, did you place an order? Actually we need a few more board orders to put us over the top for a production run- we are currently just short by about 5 boards.

Knowing how impoverished the carving community is....(myself included) we extended the deadline to April 15th.... Tax time- though hopefully some of you may be getting refund checks from the IRS. (The weekday warriors who seem to really clamour for the decks...they would fall in this category- again, myself included.)

Some people were asking for specs..

from memory...

158 cm Slalom (race ready pro slalom deck)

147 cm effective edge

880cm sidecut

18 cm waist (shell sizes up to 28.5 mondopoint can fit on this deck because it flares so radically from the waist)

Characteristics - Super quick transitions for sl turns, good edge hold for high speed gs style turns, loves ice, responds quickly to rider input- very turn shape friendly, will hold speed at low angles of tilt and at extreme angles of tilt over 70 degrees will agressively dump speed- you may carve hard to brake....no skidded turns are necessary.

Ideal terrain: IDEAL for crowded trails. Not good in slush or deep lose granular- yet excellent for end of the day destroyed trail conditions and scraped off snow. Aggressive rider input is rewarded- passive riding will not bring out the best in this board- you gotta work it.

170 GS (Consumer GS, Banked slalom, boardercross, loose slalom)

157 cm effective edge

1050cm sidecut

18cm at waist (top shell size recc. 28.0)

Characteristics- Smooth deployment of GS turns, very snow condition versatile- handles crud, some pow, ice and chop with aplomb, harder to make tight sl turns quickly but if forced will do them and not loose much speed, easy to ride- requires little rider energy to cruise, very stable at speed. Loves wide steep pitches. Lands air as if on autopilot- successfully used in air applications where plates are desired. Best choice for first Madd deck.

Ideal terrain: Nearly anything except moguls- shines on steeps and chalk.

180 Super G

167cm effective edge

22 meter sidecut

18cm at waist (top shell size recc. 27-27.5!!!!!)

With such a huge sidecut the board flares little fom the waist large boots will overhang. Adding lift is not a solution--- you could get stuck in a carve if you add lift.

Characteristics- This board will loose minimal speed in a turn. Forget moguls. Smooth cord and prepped race courses only. Do not try to land air on this board- if you land off balance you will not be able to turn to recover. Boards requires at least 25-35mph before it feels "normal". Board comes into its own at speeds of 45+ mph and offers what seems to be limitless edge hold. For the safety of others you should be an extremely high level rider to even consider purchasing this board. To turn this board you must be able to bend the deck- if you are proficient at this it is possible to carve medium radius turns with considerable effort. A Donek 197 will feel considerably eaiser to manuver than this deck- our sidecut makes this feel like a 205- 210cm board.

Ideal terrain: Large open super wide and medium steep pitches Sun Valley Idaho ( I could see this a great place to carve at 65mph), Europe, Rocky Mountain wide trails. (If the pitch is too steep you will not be able to dump speed) Not to be used in crowded areas. Target rider weight is 170+.