Note to New Members ×

Northeast wash out

Bobby Buggs

What a Mess. Boy does it suck to live in New England. 40 plus degrees and Major ran has Killed things around here. I just felt as if I was getting it together on Tuesday at Jimminy and BAM washout. Now anything around here will be nothing more than white Pavement:nono:

Time for that 3 degree tune

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly it's not quite as bad as I expected - at least in VT. I was at Sugarbush today, and while the cold hard boilerplate abounds, there was quite a bit (5"+) of loose sandy sleet. Actually the perfect consistency to turn in and not have it just blow off leaving the bare ice underneath. I wasn't carving but there were some really fun soft lines. Not a beginner day though... gotta look beyond your tips(tip) and aim around the places where the ground is blue or shows cat tracks - I think it's just like riding trees.

Don't know how that stuff will groom out for tomorrow though... a little too many ice-surprises for my carving abilities I think.

________

Nexium withdraw

It's funny though... These are the days when I really hope to see a good carver out there. I'm always reading about how great this board or that board holds on ice, and how certain technique allows you better control on ice.

Thing is, everyone has their own definition of "ice". Today, the bare spots met my definition of "ice". Hardpack that was rained on and is now frozen. Not cold firm groomer or that chalky hardpack... that's not ice. Just this stuff, and possibly spring thaw/freeze groomer track on a cold morning... that stuff sucks too.

I know even on my carving board, the best I'd be able to do would be to dig in enough to traverse across the trail without sliding down the face.... not even at riding speed, but just to get to the other side. Not leaving a track, but more like an ice skate.... wouldn't hold a lean or anything.

I don't see a lot of carvers, admittedly, but in my 10-15 years of riding, I've yet to see a single rider - skier or boarder lay a track in what I'd consider ice. Not that I'm jealous... I don't enjoy the thought of doing it anyway, but the cynic in me always wonders how much of these statements are bravado or hyperbole. No offense to anyone... maybe I just haven't been in the right place at the right time yet.

________

Buy no2 vaporizer

Let me clarify, at a busted up 44 years old I am a Fair weather carver.:biggthump There is a huge difference between Firm....and shiny porcelain or varied colored blue cat tracks.

Tell you right now Im not out there in those conditions. NO need when I can pick my days and go during the week. After this weather event I will be riding the Bosu in my gym for the next couple weeks.

It's funny though... These are the days when I really hope to see a good carver out there. I'm always reading about how great this board or that board holds on ice, and how certain technique allows you better control on ice.

I'm pretty sure that's a myth. At least there's no video footage on youtube of anyone going superman on an ice rink. I think what they mean is they can get the board to carve on ice, but they aren't laying out putting the old snow deodorant on.

:lol:

I'm pretty sure that's a myth. At least there's no video footage on youtube of anyone going superman on an ice rink. I think what they mean is they can get the board to carve on ice, but they aren't laying out putting the old snow deodorant on.

:lol:

****, I saw mark fawcett go ape **** on stuff I could barely turn on in 1997 or so, it can be done

ever ridden a DH course? pretty close to bullet proof, not glazed but close.

damn it you did it again....my wife needs a reason to go out there so I can skate those ditches...know of any good medical conferences???

Gecko try looking into the University of New Mexico. They have a very extensive medical program.

Kinda boring vid from my bro-in-law:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waPrPDNKM2I&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waPrPDNKM2I&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Sorry for the threadjack btw BB...

Looks like the Dirtsurfers did some runs at Indian School:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9TLEgMWooM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9TLEgMWooM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Much better vid.

I need to do some vids this year with my 3CCD.

If anybody ever comes this way drop me a PM via BOL.

i was at sunday river yesterday and there were like 4-5 inches of fresh powder. The wind kept half the lifts closed so the place was packed. Then, when everyone left, they opened a few and we had fresh groomers all day.

I suck on ice, but what I think helps is having a SL board. My F2 rips! Can't wait for my Coiler though.