Note to New Members ×

The truth about thermo liners?

dshack

My understanding, from the forums and carver's almanac, is that thermo liners are officially endorsed as moldable up to six times, and each time, you lose a little volume and they get a little stiffer. That's fine with me; I'm not trying to fill up a huge amount of space with them. However, I called a local well-reviewed ski shop today about molding a set of twice-molded speed liners, and they said that if the liners have more than 25 days on them, a re-mold probably won't do much of anything for them. Is this true (and hence something that should be mentioned in the Almanac)? If not, anyone know a place to get a good fitting done in the PDX area?

... thermo liners are officially endorsed as moldable up to six times, ..

Depending upon the manufacturer and model, they might only be remoldable two (2) times. For instance, the INTUITION Comp falls in this catagory due to shrinkage. The DeeLuxe Speed is possible for six (6).

... if the liners have more than 25 days on them, a re-mold probably won't do much of anything for them. Is this true?
Perhaps if you were wearing them in a convection oven during those 25 days! NO, this is not true.

each time, you lose a little volume and they get a little stiffer.

Interesting. I'm happy with my boots (finally!) but given this information - is it a safe assumption that you could purposefully re-mould your liners a few extra times in order to stiffen up a soft pair of boots?