Note to New Members ×

New Binding Holes???

*Ace*

I am looking at an old board on the internet.

An old Crazy Banana Race .5Narrow

Crazy-Banana-518.jpg

As you can see from this pic there are NO hole drilled for bindings?

Is it possible to have new holes drilled?

Is it expensive?

*I assume the new binding holes should be over those black/white checked circles...no?

In my opinion, if you are new to the sport, just buy a board that has insert holes already installed. There are a bunch of old boards (if that is what you are looking for) out there that you can just buy and ride. Without going through the trouble of drilling out the board.

I really don't know if it expensive, but that wouldn't be the reason I wouldn't do it.

Just my 2 cents..........

D.:biggthump

It shouldn't be expensive to mount the board. I believe you would do it just like mounting skis. You would not put inserts in. I actually have a great set of sims roto cant plate bindings that are ment to be mounted that way. Any ski shop should be able to do it for less than 50 bucks or you can do it yourself if your not afraid of drilling into stuff. If your intrested I have the bindings and there hardware to mount like that. I would take 75 for them. I also have a Rossi VAS board un mounted that doesn't have inserts for 100. Its really not hard if you have any shop experiance.

I used to rip binders out of drill in topsheets all the time.

Just t-nut it. It's cheap, unless the person doing it is a defect, then it's not, because now your board is ****ed.

You can get p-texed t-nuts from Wintersteiger and do it yourself if you follow the instrutions to the letter and have a drill with the right counter-sinking bit. The kit might even come with the bit, but I don't remember.

A cherry piece like that should really go on the wall, but boards hate that.

Ya, I would need to have to go to a shop and have it done.

$50 isn't too bad, I don't think I would spend more than that though.

Do you think they would have a hard time with an Asym. board?

Am I right about those circles being where the bindings SHOULD be?

Rob - it might end up on the wall...:D

I would bet that NO ski shop will touch that job unless it was under the table. I wouldnt bother with it. $30? Great deal, unless you rip out a binding and eff up your knees. with as far as the products have come, save your money and buy something else. That board was produced before 4x4 patterns. Screw down the binders, hope you have them set up right the first time and go. If you are new to the sport and still unsure of your set up, go to the welcome center and see whats out there. Also, try alpinecarving.com

I would definately keep that as an art piece. I mean, how many unmounted/undrilled crazy banana's are out there? If you are looking for an asym to ride it might be worth it, but if you're just looking for a cheap ride then there are a lot of better options.

I am still pretty new to this alpine stuff.

Been boarding for 10+ years.

Learned on an old Hooger Booger in hard boots.

I know there are better boards out there, and that Asym. boards are pretty much out. I don't have the money to drop on a $300 board, plus the ski areas around here are more like big hills than mountains.

I guess the only reason why I would want to mount bindings on it is just to see how it rides. Compare it to the other Banana that I have. Compare it to the PJ.

I am sure that once I buy a 'REAL' carving board, that I will see the light. But, I think I will go retro for now...:D

BTW...thanks for all the input guys. I am still new here and don't know many people. Thanks again!

Maybe its because my boards were not properly mounted when I had drill-in mountings, but I have ripped out of many a non-insert board. I have one non-insert board in my quiver, a Ride Kildy 159. I like that board so I have kept it, but being paranoid about binding failure, I have permanently epoxied the bindings in place, in addition to screwing them in where they normally are.

I think it might just be a display piece after all. We'll see though.

I appreciate the advice with the drills and everything. If I ever make a move in mounting bindings, perhaps I can come up to you and learn a thing or two, then maybe hit the slopes after.

I have my eyes out for a nice symmetrical board...I guess its only a matter of time...

Let the filling of the quiver begin...

WB please don't put up anything like the Hoff again. He's like a frigging tractor beam, I had to break the spell by turning and running away, into the wall, crawling back to the desk and closing the window.

And this homey don't play that way. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

My wife and girls.

post-805-141842249117_thumb.jpg