Note to New Members ×

Binding Question?

Warpdrive!

I'm trying to decide between the Ibex binding and a Snowpro Race Ltd. The Bomber and Catek are nice, but are overkill for my usage (small hill, not racing anyone). UPZ boots, in case that makes a difference.

I've been soft booting for years but I am pretty new to the hardboot scene.

thanks.

I'm trying to decide between the Ibex binding and a Snowpro Race Ltd. The Bomber and Catek are nice, but are overkill for my usage (small hill, not racing anyone). UPZ boots, in case that makes a difference.

thanks.

How heavy are you?

If you're lighter than about 175 lbs you'll be fine on ibex or snowpro. Personally, I'd use the Ibex/burton design. The snowpros I had seemed like they needed to be tightened every run.

over that weight or an agressive rider? Get an all metal binding.

edit: you're gonna get a million opinions about this. I just won't trust my knees to the possibility of plastic pieces failing, but I'm ~225lbs

You will indeed get a lot of opinions on this. I personally like the Burton/Ibex bindings. I've been using Burton race plates for at least 10 years now, probably 15, and they've always worked great for me and I've never had a failure. I'm now up to 165 lbs. and I've still had no problems with them.

Here are the things I like about them:

- They are pretty light

- They are low-profile, keeping your feet close to the board. I like the way this feels, others like to use risers.

- They have enough flex and damping to smooth out bumps.

Another binding that is low profile and has some flex that you might look into is the F2 binding (several options available).

Another thing to decide is if you want the convenience of step-in bindings.

Yes, but it's hard to say what is really "the best". Racers seem to use F2 and Burton bindings regardless of who sponsors them because that's what works best for them. "Best" really depends on your priorities: durability, weight, adjustability, stiffness, cost, flex, damping, step-in, etc.

If you're a big agressive rider who likes a stiff setup and you ride 200 days a year you might require a different binding than someone who weighs 140 lbs, likes a soft setup, is on a tight budget, and only rides 6 days a year.

And boardman and other racers even used those burton plates with ski boots, so you know they were putting a lot of stress on those bindings.

The TD2's do look like a nice design, though. If I didn't already own 2 sets of burton plates plus extra disks, cants, heel/toe lifts, etc. I would certainly consider them.

thanks.

either are good, if you're gonna get a metal board before you replace your new bindings I'd get ibex or f2 over cateks or bombers. the softer bindings just feel better on the metal boards.

And boardman and other racers even used those burton plates with ski boots, so you know they were putting a lot of stress on those bindings.

The TD2's do look like a nice design, though. If I didn't already own 2 sets of burton plates plus extra disks, cants, heel/toe lifts, etc. I would certainly consider them.

right u are brad! after i broke my last set of snowpros in the 90s all i was able to get for cheap were race plates, granted i was a little lighter then :(but i rode the crap out of em with raichle flexon comps and still have 2 pairs left w/ plenty of life in em! however when these break i will be investing in some bombers cuz im sure klug's gonna run out of binders eventually and the tds seem to be the most fat-guy friendly!