Note to New Members ×

Going West - Alpine Only?

AK in PA

I'm heading to Steamboat Springs in couple of weeks. I've never snowboarded off the east coast, much less ridden genuine powder. For economy's sake, I'd like to stick with packing alpine gear, and leave my seldom used softy setup home. Would it be a mistake to only take a GS board and hard boots out? Do alpine boards float enough in the event of good powder?

alpine boards are probably the worst for powder. they can be ridden, but with more difficulty than fun i think. youll want a wider board with more nose than an alpine board. you dive the nose of a GS board, you become a human catapult. its pretty easy too

I was recently at Sun Valley expecting lots of sweet grooming so I only took my Coiler 180 Race Carve. It dumped 20 inches the night I got there. I was pretty bummed riding up the lifts dreading riding the 180 in that much snow. So I just pretended it was a pow board. I had a blast!! The board floated very well with speed and I ended up having a great time.

For one board trips go for an Donek Axxis, Prior 4WD or Nidecker Proto. Then no matter what the conditions you will have a great do it all ride.

It is much easier to get a carving board to float in powder than to make a powder board carve on groomers.

Have a great trip!

I'd bring the HB's because it's much easier to rent a softie setup than an alpine setup.

Better yet bring both.

This sounds like a good way to think about it. Some people like alpine boards in powder. I've had no problem riding Alpine boards in small amounts of powder, but if you are talking about deep powder, then trying to float an alpine board in it seems like an intensely bad idea.

In my experience, riding an alpine board in deep powder is a good way to guarantee you have a positively ****ty day. When I lived out west, I started out owning only alpine gear. After my second day of trying to ride my alpine board in deep pow I gave in and bought a cheap board that was better suited for floating in pow. (I didn't stray too far from alpine decks, choosing to buy an Alp 7 for this, and setting it up for powder by shifting the bindings rear of center). I hate that board for carving, but I love that I have it when there is powder on the ground.

If keeping your bag light is important to you, the rental strategy in the event of powder seems like a pretty good idea. Here's what I would do: bring your hardboot setup, and bring a single pair of softboots but leave the softboot board at home, that way you don't have to deal with ****ty, ill-fitting and worn out rental boots, but save travel space on the board.

I totally agree with the suggestion to bring your alpine board and hardboots to CO.

If you do get there and recieve a powder dump, then you can rent a freeride board and transfer your binding to them.

However when I travel out West, my stripped down quiver consists of a 165 Winsterstick Cirque (which is like a Prior 4WD) and a Oxygen 170 Proton, both with Catek OS2 baseplates

I can handle 90% of all snow conditions with this set-up.

My airline quiver is a dedicated carving stick and a 200 Tanker. I ride plates with both so it's only one set of boots and bindings, with a second board kit for the Tanker. The way I see it, if you are going to all the trouble of flying, why not optimise the trip? The only downside is if don't like riding plates on a pow stick.

Guest shrederjen

Well, You will want a board that you can comfortably ride in powder, at the Boat. They have some fantastic tree skiing there.... :D

You might try slapping your hard boot bindings on a softer board.

I will be ripping that pow at the Boat in another 3 weeks, myself!

My Madd 170 and the Dynastar 3800 163 seem to work well for all conditions. 2 boards and one set of boots/bindings.

Have fun at the Boat!!!

Rent or Bring one with

either way you need a powder board. I know a few people that can ride the big alpines in powder but I only know one or two that actually enjoy it.

PAULK is the man :eplus2: on a skinny alpine board in deep powder and if you look at his pictures thread he's heli boarding on an all mtn board.

Guest shrederjen
Shrederjen, How do you like the 3800 on plates vs. softies? I've got one that I have been riding and haven't tried it with the hard boots yet. I love riding in pow with the softies. I can carve pretty well with it too. Wasn't sure if it could handle the plates except in pow.

I have riden it on plates for my last 3 trips. Mostly in powder and crud. I will say, it is easier to ride the 3800 on softboots, in powder. But, I am trying to improve my plate riding. I actually, put it through the race course, in early December at the Boat! It carves very well. I ride it at pretty high angles for a softboard (50F and 45R) but, it handles well. It sure is easier only bringing one set of equipment!!!! Ive only probably been in about 8-10 inches of pow (Chile in Aug!!) on it, but I am looking forward to riding it in the trees at Steamboat. It can be pretty deep in there.. Will let you know after that!

post-1083-141842246586_thumb.jpg

Jen, I can tell you from experience that it will float quite well in deep powder and is very manuverable in the trees. And this is with softies at 35 20. I hope you can get some deep stuff as the 3800 will let you surf it with no back leg burn! I might have to try it out on plates one day.