Note to New Members ×

This week in Pictures

Paulk

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we've made to friday morning. Spent a little too much time with the Saki and Sushi last night... Well deserved after a day riding in an area called the "Chocolate's". Runs like, "Swiss Chocolate", "Toberone", and one of my favorites "Chocolate Bunny". All in all, a decadent day indeed.

Pictures from thursday!

post-520-141842246476_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842246477_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842246478_thumb.jpg

How bout the time we all had that mexican dish and the next day.. we all looked at each other... and said .."hey did you have the weirdest fljfasding dreams last night?".. yea wtf,,, I though I was halucinating... man those were so f..uppped dream.. funny thing was everyone had them...

Hmmm but as far as I can tell nothing else bad came from the mexican food..

NO where near what Skittles can do!!

:eek:

Paul - when taking snow scene pictures..... look in the menus of your camera for something called Exposure Compensation or some such thing... set it to +2/3, and this will brighten your shots. Snow fools a camera badly, as you can see!

Keep the pics coming!

Paul - when taking snow scene pictures..... look in the menus of your camera for something called Exposure Compensation or some such thing... set it to +2/3, and this will brighten your shots. Snow fools a camera badly, as you can see!

Keep the pics coming!

Off topic but Jack do you know why???? very interesting (from a photo geek POV anyway) piece of photographic history

Off topic but Jack do you know why???? very interesting (from a photo geek POV anyway) piece of photographic history

Is this a quiz, or are you asking me? :)

I believe it's because the camera tries to meter the snow as gray.

And snow also often looks blue in photos because it's reflecting the sky.

I suppose there's more to it than that....?

Gecko,

Camera are calibrated to a standard grey for light level by default.

When a camera sees a lot of white, it will underexpose to try to get to a level of light correct from it's calibration. Similarly if there is a lot of black in the picture, the camera will try to overexpose to compensate the black.

That's why you want to overexpose your snow pictures so you can really see white snow instead of grey.

In general, processing machines will automatically compensate when develloping your pics on paper. Underexposure is really visible with slides as they dont have much lattitude in exposure. As for digital pics, you can always use photoshop to brighten your pics and get back to a normal level of lighting with snow pics.

Blue sky

Didier

I was too slow....

Jack got it right before me.

As Jack said, better have the picture right the first time instead of trying to fix it in post processing (digital or on paper).

I use to underexpose my films when I was shooting indoor basketball and volleyball in college (B&W) and then correct the exposure while printing the pics. When the over/underexposure is low you dont loose too much details, but if the over/underexposure is too big, you will loose in details and contrast.

Blue sky

Didier

Start your own threads.....this ones mine to mess with!!

Hey YYK...

hhmmm yea Silver Star.....Ohhhh yea... but that was more the Montusi..than me... at least the kilt let it breath out quickley as not to ferment the condo..

YOU ain't seen nothin...yet..if your at the SES...give a bag of skittle to Helmut and watch what happens... If you think Sea Monkeys are facinating, what till you try this experiment... But stand back...

He's like a little kid making bubbles in the bathtub... then popping them..!!

:eek:

Slow day at work for you guys, I guess.

Thanks for the input Jack. But to be truthful, there isn't a whole lot of sunshine around here. The last few days have been really gray. Now can someone help me make that poodle picture go away?

Day six in the books. Big lines, sore legs. more untracked snow.

Pics to follow.

camera geekism....Yes all camera light meters are calibrated to 18% gray...which also closely matches Caucasian skin tone. As for the Blue it's not so much the sky as it is the CCD/chips reaction to ultraviolet light that is amplified in snow conditions and high altitudes. under normal conditions UV isn't normally an issue but it becomes an issue at higher altitudes and in F/22 conditions

camera geekism....Yes all camera light meters are calibrated to 18% gray...which also closely matches Caucasian skin tone. As for the Blue it's not so much the sky as it is the CCD/chips reaction to ultraviolet light that is amplified in snow conditions and high altitudes. under normal conditions UV isn't normally an issue but it becomes an issue at higher altitudes and in F/22 conditions

...ins't the blue tint also because of the white balance getting confused with lots of white?

...ins't the blue tint also because of the white balance getting confused with lots of white?

only if you actually use Auto white balance...which is a great way to completely screw up color photos....snow can often look good using the fluorescent WB setting