Note to New Members ×

Please recommend a well-liked and well-tested freecarve/all-mountain stick.

snovvman

I am looking for a freecarve/all-mountain board that won't sink like lead in some light powder but can lay down a trench from time to time.

It is discourging (especially in the past few years) that more and more boards are going by the way of shaped skis--with an hour-glass figure and side-cut radius of 7-9 meters even at longer lengths. As soon as a bit of edge pressure is applied, the board wants to turn.

I am looking for something in the 160-175 cm range, with a side-cut radius of AT LEAST 9.5 m, preferably 10 or more. I'm looking for something in the secondary/used market, so older models are just fine.

Many thanks for any insight.

I've always loved Nitro boards because they're light and maneuverable in pow and bumps but can really rail a turn. I have an old 163 Samurai that's my GS board. That's long for me, I'm 5'5" and have a bad hip flexor and 2 bad knees. This board turns easily but holds its edge. It's an ancient model. Probably impossible to find.

I have a 157 Supra Team for slalom. It's great in the pow, teaching, just about anything but freestyle (since it's so directional).

It is discouraging (especially in the past few years) that more and more boards are going by the way of shaped skis--with an hour-glass figure and side-cut radius of 7-9 meters even at longer lengths. As soon as a bit of edge pressure is applied, the board wants to turn.
Pretty rare to find a ski with that low of a sidecut. Most of the carvers I see in the magazines are 15-17m radius, although I've seen some as low as 10. I've often wondered why the big disparity, a 17m snowboard is considered near unrideable in resort conditions but a 17m ski is normal for a performance on-piste carver.

Hey

I have not advertised these/ but I have 2 boards I'm not using/ I have a Burton 164 Ultra Prime- sweet condition/ I have the specs on this one but not with me $200

Also have a Sims167 carve 2 $150 Not sure of the specs/ its wide & side-cut not severe! stiffer flex Both boards almost new condition 3 hrs of ridding on them! Plenty of options on this site Good Luck ((((G))))

If you're looking for something to use with soft boots I would second the Steepwater recommendation. I have a Plow 171 and it pretty much behaves the way you are describing.

If you're looking for something to use with plates, theree are many many options including those mentioned above.

I am looking for a freecarve/all-mountain board that won't sink like lead in some light powder but can lay down a trench from time to time.

I am looking for something in the 160-175 cm range, with a side-cut radius of AT LEAST 9.5 m, preferably 10 or more. I'm looking for something in the secondary/used market, so older models are just fine.

Many thanks for any insight.

Sounds like you might want to find a Prior 4WD 174 but the problem is you may have to pry it from the owners hands if looking for a used one. :biggthump

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_4wd.php

I've often wondered why the big disparity, a 17m snowboard is considered near unrideable in resort conditions but a 17m ski is normal for a performance on-piste carver.

Your average skier skids more than your alpine rider buying a carving board (maybe it's even unfair to compare these two disparate groups). Average skiers *need* to skid more than your typical carving board rider. Plus it makes them more versatile. But not as good for pure carving-no ski or skier is.

Pretty rare to find a ski with that low of a sidecut. Most of the carvers I see in the magazines are 15-17m radius, although I've seen some as low as 10. I've often wondered why the big disparity, a 17m snowboard is considered near unrideable in resort conditions but a 17m ski is normal for a performance on-piste carver.

Alpine snowboarders out freecarving tend to carve more degrees of arc than skiers do. On steeper slopes we may often carve more than 180 degrees - each carve finishes pointing slightly uphill. I've not seen many skiers do this; the good ones who carve aggressively probably do 90 - 120 degrees on each turn I am guessing? At any rate skiers using bigger sidecut radii eat up similar amounts of trail as snowboarders on smaller sidecut radii.

My skis are 12m scr, they turn as tight as an SL deck or maybe tighter when I carve them hard - if I learned to ski properly I'd probably carve them even tighter than an SL deck!