Note to New Members ×

Winter biking

Derf

We all know what everybody does in the winter here: snowboard! But are there any other who use their bicycle during the winter? I like it for shorter commutes in my neighborhood (<5km). I biked to work (13km) Thursday because my car was in the shop and it was a little hard and tiring, but an interesting experience, especially since it was -15C outside.

I bike commute year round as well. My ride is a classic Voodoo steel mountain bike with slick tires. My ride is about 4 miles each way, and all downhill on the way to work, so not too strenuous. I do tend to get sweaty on the way home though, even in the winter.

My only accommodations to winter are ear warmers, gloves (I use some worn-out snowboard gloves), and crappy vinyl rain pants which I've found I prefer to Gore-Tex or similar breathable fabrics for this. The vinyl doesn't breathe, but it's 100% waterproof, which is a good tradeoff.

The only tricky part is remembering to be careful around wet leaves and icy patches - fortunately we don't usually get too many days below freezing in Portland.

I ride my old beat up Trek 830 with well worn mountain bike tires. I tried slicks once in the winter and I said to myself "never again". I thought about wearing my snowboard helmet instead fo my bike helmet with a tuque underneath, but I'm not sure if it's good for this, I guess I'll write to Giro to find out.

I ride a Cyclocross bike in the winter with Kenda Kwik tires with a reflective strip, Avid BB7 Road mechanical disc brakes and I just added SKS clip on fenders. Its fun because I do a loop with some dirt trails/road for a little cross training. Good lights are a must too. Ill post a pic tomorrow. Invest in warm breathable clothes, I like my Sugoi pants and have a pearl Izumi jacket that could use some waterproofing.

I don't bike when below freezing or with snow/ice on the road out of fear that I'm going to get hit. I was hit a few years ago while riding to work in summer, that sucked, nothing I ever want to repeat. Adding ice to the mix just puts the odds against me IMHO.

Having said that, studded bicycle tires are quite popular here in Bend!

I now have Innova studded cyclocross tires to put on my winter roadie/town bike.The bike is an old Centurion tourer that has very powerful miniature u-brakes with frame and fork mounted studs like those on mountainbikes.I'm sure there were others from this era but this is the only bike I've ever seen with these brakes.Anyway,I can't wait to try the tires as they have very aggressive tread and well mounted studs.