Note to New Members ×

Life expectancy of gloves

Maciek

How long your gloves stand abuse while carving?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How long your gloves stand abuse while carving?

• 0-10
    • 10-30
    • 30-90
    • Until you lose your both hands from dragging on dangerous hardpack

Originally posted by nils

between 25-30 days each.. But i do take care of them by adding liquid rubber on them almost every week!

Usually i trash them because my wife cannot stand the smell / look of them anymore ( despite the washing)

Nils

Yes, that smell kills my wife too ;)

I put my gloves into bleach and detergent for at least two days and then it comes off.

After washing I usually have to use some rubber glue to seal or damages and seams. I believe that was recomended on the forum by some of fellow carvers. It works for me just fine too.

Guest Randy S.

Try Febreeze for de-smelling equipment. I use it in my boots and helmet. My gloves don't get that smelly, but that's probably because I dry them out well after each day of riding. Maybe Reusch racing gloves have something in them that resists stink??

Guest mphdemon

I went through a pair of gloves in 2 days this season, that didn't make me very happy. I ended up just useing my old gloves and getting really wet hands.

Also the other day, I actually managed to burn my hand!!! I was riding on really hard packed (practically ice) that was machine groomed. I started to feel my hands heating up after the first run, but I didn't think anything of it. But after a whole morning of riding, my hands started to hurt a lot. So I took off my gloves and I saw heat blisters on my palms. At first I just sat there and laughed, cause I didn't think it was possible. But then I realized that I definitly need a new pair of gloves, cause I think that it happened due to the thinness of material left between my hand and the snow. It was definitely a strange experience.

I've had three pairs of gloves for the last 6 years. They are all ripped up with holes all over them. Duct tape does work wonders. The question is how is your jacket and pants? My jacket is wearing away on both my right and left side from my hip up to my chest. Both knees on my pants are duct taped and the pocket on both hips have been sewn numerous times.

jt

As far as the gloves I would really consider what I posted about the Marine Goop. It is toxic smelling thought so don't breathe it. I put some on at the beginning of winter and it lasts the whole season - truly it does not wear out.

I found that duct tape conducts cold too and this stuff does not.

It did help me on my pants a while when I was getting thin. For me it is left hip and right knee and both sides of my jacket. I did not like the way it looked so much so I haven't pursued using it on my clothes as much. It would look better than duct tape however. The snowboard school gets a little chapped if you show up in really ragged stuff.

Jerry

shoe goo for wear spots gets my gloves to last more than 3 seasons. Keeps the parts that ussually get wet ...dry .

SHOUT stain remover removes even the gnarliest odors and grime and the 423 layers of boogers on the snot patch.

Gloves of choice???

Marmot Ultimate ski glove. Stays warm and dry- even when you put wet hands in it constantly. No removeable liner....but it never seems to get saturated....even when I ride in the rain.

________

Free Pron

Guest Jagger

The goo trick definitely works wonders, at my home hill the parks have rope tows and even the best kevlar gloves get torn apart quickly. let alone from carving. At 70.00+ a pair you want to get as much wear out of them as possible.