Note to New Members ×

carving, how to teach?

Przemek/Brooklyn

Somehow I become snowboard instructor in Windham (small but nice mountain in Catskill in NY), don’t ask me how it was kind of random but it does not matter.<O:p

Looks like I will start with beginners (soft boots, skidding turns ect) but my real goal is to teach carving. <O:p</O:p

I think I can carve well at this point but teaching is another story and I need to prepare myself.<O:p

Does anybody have any experience with carving teaching? I would love to hear about your tricks, drills exercises.<O:p

I would be also very helpful if you can send me a links to any related web materials. <O:p

<O:p

I feel this could be a good proactive step to make carving style more popular and share my experience with others. <O:p

There are lots of threads on here about trick and drills etc. If this is your first season teaching, I would really focus on learning how to teach, and focusing on motion analysis. If you can build a solid foundation in these areas, relating your own experience in carving will become much easier...

-NBC

Developing your sense of motion analysis, and the things you need to do to correct problems are huge and can take time to learn. You should also remember that there are different learning styles, and while most people teach the way they learn, you will have to know how to teach to the different learning styles out there.

I would be also very helpful if you can send me a links to any related web materials.

Uhh....

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/tech_articles.cfm

also this link got lost in the lastest update to that page...

http://www.bomberonline.com/articles/practice_drills.cfm

For first time carvers, start with The Norm.

Good luck!

++ what others had touched on.

Not everyone learns the same way. Though slightly related, when I first started teaching Windsurfing in the late '90's my employer had us all teach along a certain path. THis seemed good as no matter which instructor you learned from, you were getting basically the same lesson. However, having taught 10yr olds through mid 60's I can say with impunity at some point you have to throw the "standardized method " out the door and get creative. My lessons went from fu-fu clock representations, and pizza-pie descriptions to (when encountering Engineers and the like) pulling out the heavy physics part of how the thing worked.

For the most part most of your lessons will fall near the same path, but don't be afraid when that doesn't work, you need to reach further and think like they think to help them understand.

I've always felt the single hardest part of being a teacher or instructor is understanding how a pupil relates to their world, and then how you can explain yours to them in the same way.

My single hardest lesson to date was a woman who produced instructional videos for children. I could not for the life of me appease her ( I wasn't spending enough time with her, I was crowding her, go away and come back to me later) I heard it all and at the end of the day she decided I was a bad teacher and wanted our female instructor to teach her. I never had any complaints and my boss saw she was wacked, but be prepared for all kinds...

J

Good advice so far! I would add that : You need to get your student to relax, So find out how to get them relaxed so that their body( tense body at this point ) can get out of the way. Just as many people learn differently they may also need different paths to relaxation. When your student relaxes it opens the door to learning. Set them up with a stance and angles that are comfortable to them. As long as they don't have toe are heel drag most anything will work for now as long as it is comfortable , they can dial things in as they go.

Start easy and stand tall and RELAXED and just have them rock from edge to edge while going down an easy trail (green) so they can feel the edge and a carve. Also show them that the board will SKID! Very good for stopping and allowing them to relax but then Focus on the edge. Thats a good beginning.And it just goes on and on from there........... books worth. But the next thing I work on with them is some up and down movement trying to set the stage for dynamic movements through the turns, in other words bringing the knees and hips into play. And again .......on and on it goes. Once they get some good movement going and they are ready for a deeper carve I'll have them work on getting the board as far away from them as they can. A fun drill at this point is to have them carve to a stop by OVER committing to a turn and have them try to lay it out and finish the turn laying on the ground. Do it both toe and heelside. Once they feel the deep carve like this it is pretty easy to get them to start linking deep turns together. And on and on it goes.

As so many others have said, people learn differently. I have had some people pick things up fast and others a little slowly. Some learn by leaps and bounds others need all the little gaps filled in. Some need to see it, Some need to hear it, and some need to feel it but they all need to understand it on there terms.

Hope you find plenty of students. Keep 'em safe and teach them to look over their shoulder.

Indian

David and Jrobb very very helpful thanks so much.

Bobby, i will see you on ECES i hope.

Dudedude,i am not sure what days, weekends most likely, going there this sat (one day trip) if you looking for a very discunted lessons just come along, (i need someone to practice my teaching)

give me a ring 917 3316615 if you want to go.

Przemek

Doh! I already planned to head up to Killington this Sat. Then the following weekends are going to be crazy between vacation and the holidays.

Thanks for the offer though, I'll definitely do some lessons when things clear up in Jan.

David and Jrobb very very helpful thanks so much.

Bobby, i will see you on ECES i hope.

Dudedude,i am not sure what days, weekends most likely, going there this sat (one day trip) if you looking for a very discunted lessons just come along, (i need someone to practice my teaching)

give me a ring 917 3316615 if you want to go.

Przemek