Note to New Members ×

Evel Knievel 1938-2007

Hugh

You had to grow up in the 70s to remember how big this guy was. Every kid had a little Evel in him. We used to set up ramps and jump garbage cans on our CCM Mustangs (Canadian version of a Schwinn) - until someone wiped out and lost a yard of skin.

I had some Knievel in me. Not enough though. Being from Southern Idaho and the whole Snake river canyon jump going on was pretty wild.

My second day on a motorcycle, a Hodaka 90, I tried to jump the road by my Uncle's house out on the farm, I crashed horribly without a helmet too, but survived with just a little road rash. Banged the bike up pretty good though, much to the displeasure of my Uncle who owned it.

I saw some news on Yahoo and instead of showing him going big with flash bulbs, they showed him eating it off the side of the ramp :mad:

Next week on the Jim Rome Show, I expect that Rome will have an Evel tribute, because he and Evel were buds. Evel gave Rome one of his hollowed out walking canes loaded with Wild Turkey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLURFJQGeZE&feature=related with Howard Cossell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-PKx2GlC7U&feature=related

we used to send the crank up EK toy down the stairs and that thing wouldn't break. Many don't realize that EK was jumping a Harley XR750, not 250cc dirtbike. Even robbie runs a cr500. That harley weighs at least twice as much as any YZ250.

RIP EK, American Icon.

Gonna pulls some wheelies for ya and get chased by the cops

http://www.news4jax.com/entertainmen...07/detail.html

"That video that Kanye West put out is the most worthless piece of crap I've ever seen in my life, and he uses my image to catapult himself on the public," the 68-year-old daredevil said Tuesday.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2xwO1ciEKo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2xwO1ciEKo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

post-123-14184224276_thumb.jpg

You had to grow up in the 70s to remember how big this guy was. Every kid had a little Evel in him. We used to set up ramps and jump garbage cans on our CCM Mustangs (Canadian version of a Schwinn) - until someone wiped out and lost a yard of skin.

I thought you canucks all idolized Kenny Powers and drove Lincolns?

</EMBED>

that's me .... Flounder. :cool:

Got some sweet pics of ducatis bmws aprilias and a super sweet R1 I took in rome and paris last week. We saw some Rome moto cops on BMWs doing like 80 with thier sirens on by the Colosseum, one guy braked so hard his back tire got loose into a corner. Those guys can ride !

I'll post some more pics when I get around to resizing them-

2 stroke streetbikes on the street=pretty cool :biggthump

post-123-141842242799_thumb.jpg

... Many don't realize that EK was jumping a Harley XR750, not 250cc dirtbike...

I've been pounced on by an XR750 on more than one occasion while dirt tracking... best weight ever was 330lbs. I can't imagine trying to jump one over anything.

This and this is what they're meant for... not this!

Skategoat got it right... as kids we used to be jumping our bicycles all the time pretending to be EK. Those were the days! hehehe

Had a two step ramp with a piece of red, white and blue paneling down the center of it, I was going to jump a local pond where an old railroad had passed over, tracks where long gone but the abutments where still there. I didn't like the approaches, so I let it go. I called information the night before the snake river jump to get his phone number to wish him luck, and I ended talking to phone operators from the jersey shore to snake river. Man were my parents pissed when they got that bill.

mario

My radio at work won't tune into the weak AM station for the Rome show. I logged onto the internet today and caught the live show on streaming audio. That is amazing :eek: because my workplace has a ton of blocks on most streaming video and audio sites, but this one got though...stoked :AR15firin

I caught most of today's EVEL highlights and there should be more this week. I have also heard most of Evel's famous jungle quotes as I was an avid jungle listener and also lucky enough to be tuned-in at just the right times.

A few quotes or memories:

1. Odds of making the Snake River jump were 50-50 in Evel's mind, he places 100% of the failure on the engineer that designed the Snake River jump. Then, Jim Rome asked him why he would put his life on the line for a 50-50 chance? Looonnngggg pause ... then Evel says, "Do you know who the hell I am"?

2. Evel still wanting to bitch slap Bobby Joe from Evel's 1st grade class because Bobby Joe was a bully and teased Evel a lot about living with his Mammy (grandma), 50+ years later Evel still wants to give him a beat down.

3. "When I hit that pavement at 70 or 80 mph those suits just ripped".

4. "I think these shows with the young kids doing these jumps, doing these fantastic back flips, I think they're absolutely great. They did what I never did".

5. "There are a lot of myths about my injuries. They say I have broken every bone in my body. Not true. But I have broken 35 bones. I had surgery 14 times to pin and plate. I shattered my pelvis. I forget all of the things that have broke".

For the record, I didn't own one of those cool Evel windup motorcycle toys, but a few of my friends did :AR15firin:eplus2::AR15firin